GAA Childhood Heroes

Started by thejuice, August 03, 2007, 02:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

Jim McConville, Martin McQuillan, Houlie.

Mitch Bucannon

Colm O'Rourke, a cultured left boot.  Maurice Fitzgerald, will there every be such a natural talent again.  Teddy McCarthy, Cork midfielder who could outjump the biggest midfielders despite only being about 5ft.  Mick Lyons, a savage of a man but very effective.

stew

Houlie was a mate growing up so I didnt really look up to him although he was some footballer, he was a tremendous keeper as well and lined out for the County as a keeper in the early days. he also played a few games for our sawker team and was ina different class than anybody else.

BrokenCrossbar made him squeal once after a particularly ignorant tackle but then Houlie is and was an Ogs man and they have no problem squealing. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

anglocelt39

Gerry Sheridan represented Bailieborough Shamrocks for five years at under 14 level and was my chilhood hero. Needless to say the legs were well busted by the time he got to senior level however his namesake represented the county with some distinction some years later taking an Ulster medal in 97.

Childhood County-Ray Carolan, Gene Cusack for striking with two goals in 69 Ulster final as a 19 year old as we rolled the All Ireland Champions; Mick O Connell.

Childhood nightmares-Sean O Neill.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Rav67

Tohill, Corkery, Giles, Maurice Fitz

pintsofguinness

Quote from: stew on August 04, 2007, 08:33:15 PM
Houlie was a mate growing up so I didnt really look up to him although he was some footballer, he was a tremendous keeper as well and lined out for the County as a keeper in the early days. he also played a few games for our sawker team and was ina different class than anybody else.

BrokenCrossbar made him squeal once after a particularly ignorant tackle but then Houlie is and was an Ogs man and they have no problem squealing. ;)

Sure that's all BC was good for  ;D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ONeill

Aidan Skelton. Tried growing a moustache when I was 9. Failed, so I drew one on and ran around the field.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dont Matter

'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Donagh

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

In the Onion Bag

Being a child of the 60's and from Down of  course I favour Arkle.  Sure a minor in the 68 final  didn't he bring Kerry's acknowledged greatest Micko to heel - can still recall the hype about this individual match of McAlarney's youth v Micko's experience and class.

Later on in life I think Maurice Fitzgerald is the most cultured  naturally gifted footballer I have had the pleasure to see live in Croker. I am sure he provided inspiration for many backgarden games.

With the sliother, well for me there is one star that shines out brighter than all others, the one and only Jimmy-Barry Murphy.  Come to think of it, he was excellent at football also.

galla

During the summer of 1989 Meath won every all ireland played in my back garden with winning scores by everyone but my favorite was when McQuillen scored a last minute penalty to beat Cork

Bod Mor

From my own county it was of course the one and only Willie Joe and TJ Kilgallon.
From other counties I admired Larry Tompkins and Mickey Linden. When I played the small ball I'd always turn into Joe Cooney!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

AZOffaly

The one and only Matt Connor. Also John Egan and Mikey Sheehy.

we are blue... etc

Believe it or not Matt Connor was one of mine, as he would have been for many Laois lads living round the border region. From a Laois perspective, it would have been fellas like Liam Irwin and Tom Prendergast.

At a national level it would have been the lads who did well on Superstars and in the Aussie Rules -- Jacko notably.