Bertie picks Eoghan

Started by Donagh, August 03, 2007, 12:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Rumours abound that Bertie is to use one of his Taoiseach's picks to appoint Eoghan Harris to the Senate.

A Quinn Martin Production

Hopefully it's the US Senate ;)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Bogball XV

it's disgusting, but I don't expect better from the brazen kn**ker by this stage.

T Fearon

Instead of a Quick Pick this must be a p***k Pick

Donagh

Makes you wonder why Bertie want an honours system when he can just reward those who do him some service by appointing them to the Senate.

ExiledGael

Pardon my ignorance, Southern politics is not my strong point, but what the hell is the senate and what are they responsible for?
Heard about this situation on the radio and sounds like a simple case of honours/highly paid bullshit job for support over the years.

Mentalman

Quote from: ExiledGael on August 03, 2007, 06:06:07 PM
Pardon my ignorance, Southern politics is not my strong point, but what the hell is the senate and what are they responsible for?
Heard about this situation on the radio and sounds like a simple case of honours/highly paid bullshit job for support over the years.

You can get the jist of it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seanad_%C3%89ireann

But baically, it's not directly elected, and has no massive power, other than it can initiate legislation, amend legislation coming from the Dail, and it's lack of approval can slow the passage of legislation into law. 11 are nominated by the Taoiseach, 6 elected by the universities and the rest are elected from 5 vocational panels, representing labour,  education, agriculture, inbdutrial and administration.

Those we heard of today, were nominated by the Taoiseach, and as we saw today they are generally a mix of those from his party and their coalition partners who lost their seats in the Dail . I think today is a bit unusual in it's the most ovbvious case of political patronage outside of the party political system we've seen in recent times. For instance other Taoiseach have nominated worthy candidates, such as Reynold's nomination of Gordan Wilson, whose daughter was one of the one of the victims of the Enniskillen Remembrance Day Bombing. This however is just blatant reward for Bomber's unqualified support over the years and immediately prior to the last election.

Can you imagine what would happen if Bertie got his honours? Must be to make up for the loss of the Helath Boards? Bad enough that practically every member of the legal profession has to be a party memeber to have any hope of advenacement.

"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

magickingdom

eoghan harris? ffs how is bertie going to justify that one? as of today i'm in favour of abolishing the senate...

johnpower

Next time a Journo goes on the late late to discuss the elcetion during the campaign we will all wise to what is happening . Will walters be happy with the Eurovision?

Pangurban

This requires another tribunal

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Donagh on August 03, 2007, 12:30:13 PM
Rumours abound that Bertie is to use one of his Taoiseach's picks to appoint Eoghan Harris to the Senate.

Payback for Harris going onto the Late Late just before the election and singing the praises of Bertie to the high heavens and practically begging for him to be reelected.

Rather transparent and distasteful though to make him a senator just for bumming up the Taoiseach on national television.

I only wish it would keep Harris out of the papers. If Harris had any credibility he'd reject the offer. However he doesn't.

T Fearon

If a gobshite like Harris can seriously influence voters by appearing on the Late Late Show then it does not say much for the 26 counties electorate's intelligence

Shamrock Shore

Although the Senate has as much relevance as Longford in the remaining part of the Championship this represents a new low by Ahern. Harris is the worst of the worst revisionist you could ever encounter and his Late Late performance wa cringeworthy.

Bertie is on record as wanting some class of 'honours' system. First in line, no doubt, would be Sir AJF himself.

Question is, will ace Sindo journalist, Jody Corcoran, be successfully surgically removed from the upper regions of Bertie's colon?

magickingdom

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 04, 2007, 10:41:29 AM
Although the Senate has as much relevance as Longford in the remaining part of the Championship this represents a new low by Ahern. Harris is the worst of the worst revisionist you could ever encounter and his Late Late performance wa cringeworthy.

Bertie is on record as wanting some class of 'honours' system. First in line, no doubt, would be Sir AJF himself.

Question is, will ace Sindo journalist, Jody Corcoran, be successfully surgically removed from the upper regions of Bertie's colon?

spot on there. as a lifelong fianna failer i grew up hating the sindo, now i have to laugh at how far up berties ass it is. its a joke..

Bogball XV

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 04, 2007, 10:41:29 AMQuestion is, will ace Sindo journalist, Jody Corcoran, be successfully surgically removed from the upper regions of Bertie's colon?
He's taking investigative journalism to a new level ;)