UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Totally irrelevant argument. No comparison between juggling sports stories to world landmark and history changing events.

Feckitt

Juggling?, there's another sport which might get covered instead of the club championship.

Any craic

I can tell you from years of experience that the Steel & Sons Final always gets lots of mentions/coverage across the output and even sometimes a camera on xmas morning.

T Fearon

Funny, I search for the result each Christmas  Day (I know, that's sad, probably because I had a mate that won a medal over 30 years ago) and can never find it, not even on the BBC NI website, nor previously on the now defunct Ceefax service (which carried a full local results service including GAA).

Any craic

Well now come on, you'd be asking a bit much to expect a service on Christmas Day itself but certainly there's plenty of coverage in the build-up with TV/radio/online previews plus reports after the event. And as I say, from personal experience, I recall a camera being sent on occasion for reports that went out a day or two later.

Walter Cronc

Lads can we give this a rest. Jesus!!

ONeill

Always disappointed the BBC ignore the weekly pipe band championships. Every Saurday during the summer approx 4000 descend on a venue and it's completely ignored on the news. Piping racsim.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

We'll know the BBC is impartial in 6 weeks or so, if they aren't all decked out in poppies.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

More GAA on the news coming up. But you can see in their eyes they're crossing their fingers.

T Fearon

On BBC Newsline now! A feature on footage from Ulster Finals over 50 years ago.

T Fearon

Armaghmaniac,the official broadcasting service displaying poppies honouring their war dead! What next? Queen Elizabeth being feted at Croke Park (again!).

T Fearon

They're showing Armagh V Cavan from 1950! They're now doing retrospective coverage!  ;D

ONeill

YES! FINALLY! SIDECAR CROSS-RACING!

Maguire01

As much as I hate to admit it, Tony is talking (some) sense on this one. The BBC has to cover all sports and there'll always be arguments over the balance. But I wouldn't expect it to give much coverage to club Championship games. The number of people at the games has very little to do with it.

And let's be honest, if there was real demand for coverage of the club championships, surely UTV would be sniffing around for a slice of the massive viewing figures?

But for the sake of balance, two things about the BBC's coverage do bug me:
1 - the broadcast of 'bad GAA news' (e.g. discipline issues) where they wouldn't otherwise acknowledge the event
2 - the general ignoring of non-Ulster action (although no-doubt a few of 'themmuns' get excited when the BBC spend their licence fee covering Monaghan v Donegal!)