Is the Northern GAA really offering gaelic games to our protestant neighbours

Started by Maximus Marillius, August 02, 2007, 08:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

Very topical at the minute. Surely each club in the north has responsibility to involve our protestant friends in gaelic games. Surely we have to actively get off our arses and go out and actively encourage them to get involved, particularly at primary school level where we can break down the secterian barriers. This will mean lots of hard work with plenty of soul searching for many gaels, but surely this has to happen. For clubs with smaller numbers this has to be an attractive option to increase their playing numbers which utimately will improve their chance sof winning. The excuse of the door is always open is not sufficient, or nobody is stopping them. Their perception is one of the GAA being a cold house, so therefore it is up to us to make more inclusive.

Maximus Marillius

We know that but that cannot be an excuse, is it not our resposibility to be active on this front

Tankie

How can they ever be a member of the GAA as they are not only about their sports but also a cultural organisation to promote the Irish culture. it would be a bit like a nationalist joining the OO.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Maximus Marillius

This is the piece that prompted me to ask the question

'ABUSED' PLAYER TURNS BACK ON GAA

BY MICHAEL BRESLIN

A 25-year old Protestant GAA footballer is giving up the sport because of what he claims is persistent sectarian abuse from opposing teams.

The former senior hurler with Fermanagh who has represented the county at U-21 football, has told the 'Herald' he is giving up gaelic sport altogether because of persistent sectarian abuse he gets from certain players in opposing teams, from three clubs in particular.

Lisnaskea Emmets championship footballer, Darren Graham, who is employed as a joiner with a local firm, the Clarke Group, stressed that he gets on well with those within the club and with people in the Lisnaskea community.

He is a son of Mary and the late Cecil Graham and was just three weeks old when his father, who was a member of the Ulster Defence Regiment, was fatally wounded by the IRA while visiting his wife who was staying with her parents. He died two days later, on 11th November, 1981. Two of Darren's uncles, Ronnie (in '81) and Jimmy (in '85) were also shot dead by the IRA.

However, those experiences did not prevent him from turning up for under-age training with the Emmetts when he was 12 or from representing St Ronan's (Catholic) Primary School despite the fact he was attending the Protestant Moat Primary School in the town.

Even in those early days, he recalls, he was on the receiving end: "I got a wee bit of abuse through the ranks at U-14, U-16 and Minors (U-18), but nothing really heavy till I hit the senior ranks. A couple of games, perhaps, somebody would mention something about my father or my uncles, but it wasn't that really. It was more, 'black bastard' and, 'you're a Protestant, you shouldn't be playing gaelic sport."

"Obviously, no one in my on club calls me names, or in Maguiresbridge or Teemore. It's mainly from three clubs especially, although I think there could be several altogether where there is always something smart said along the way. I get it from their supporters as well".

Darren also played hurling with Lisnaskea seniors who, along with the only other senior club in the county, Lisbellaw, play in the Armagh League. No, he said, he had no complaints to make locally and, as far as the Armagh League went, 'people there did not know about my background'.

It was clear that the abuse and the nature of the abuse had affected him. He admitted that he had never complained to his own club, preferring instead to 'let it brush over my shoulder'.

But, he felt particularly angry on two fronts: his service to Fermanagh was undermined, and the totally wrong message that the abuse sent out to his co-religionists.

"As regards Protestants playing gaelic, I think I am the only one throughout the county that I know is Protestant who is playing that sport. Don't get me wrong: there are plenty of other players who have a Protestant mother/father, but were brought up as Catholics, but I think I am the only true Protestant.

"At the end of the day, this is happening, so why should I get that sort fo abuse when I am trying to recognise that this is a sport for both religions? This, after all, is what the GAA is trying to encourage, but why should other Protestants take it on when they're getting that sort of abuse?".

Lisnakea Emmetts chairman, Barry King, who plays alongside Darren in the Lisnaskea senior team, confirmed that Darren had not made an official complaint to the club of sectarian abuse from opposing players. But, he insisted that it was not something the club would endorse.

"There is a certain amount of chat goes on during the game and there are certain players involved in that. Is it sectarian? It is not for me to say but, if Darren is being subject to sectarian abuse, the club would definitely condemn it.

"We have detailed disciplinary procedures within the club advising members how to air their concerns and we have procedures and guidelines on how complaints are to be investigated and followed up through the County Board."

"As for Darren retiring, we would be hoping to reverse that decision. He has quite a bit to offer us and we're certainly not in the business of losing players. If there is action required, we will certainly follow it up and make representations on it. But, from the point fo view of the club, I think the less said about this the better until such times as there is a formal complaint. No player has been in touch with me."

Likewise, Deirdre Donnelly, the Press Officer for the Fermanagh County Board GAA, told the 'Herald' it was the first time she had heard of that form of abuse: "And, I know from talking to other officials, they have never been aware of it. But, certainly, if individuals feel there is an issue, they should bring it to their club and the club should take it to County Board."

Darren Graham is adamant: 'unless there is something really done about it and the County Board realise that this is all happening, I am definite, I am not putting on the shirt again'.

For the record, Rule 7(b) of the GAA constitution states clearly: 'the Association shall be non-sectarian'.

And, in Febraury this year, the GAA President, Nicky Brennan, in the course of an interview for the Church of Ireland Gazette, insisted there was nothing wrong with the GAA that would stop Protestant people joining. Indeed, he suggested the only intimidation might come from their own community.

A Quinn Martin Production

I have no problems with Protestants or members of any other religious group (except maybe the KKK) joining the GAA andthere is a case for the GAA doingmore to promote the games in partsof the North but I don't think we should do this at the expense of diluting the main tenets of the GAA i.e. promoting and developing IRISH sports, culture, language etc.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

dublinfella

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 02, 2007, 10:18:47 AM
I have no problems with Protestants or members of any other religious group (except maybe the KKK) joining the GAA andthere is a case for the GAA doingmore to promote the games in partsof the North but I don't think we should do this at the expense of diluting the main tenets of the GAA i.e. promoting and developing IRISH sports, culture, language etc.

so prods cant be Irish?  ::)

Has this ever been an issue outside the 6?

Hardy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 02, 2007, 08:58:12 AM
This will mean ...  plenty of soul searching for many gaels,

What does this mean? What souls need to be searched to find the truth that members of any religion should feel free to play GAA games? I don't mean to attack you, as clearly you believe we should do the right thing. It's just that this assumption seems bizarre to me.

I have no problems with Protestants or members of any other religious group ... joining the GAA

That's big of you.

Quotebut I don't think we should do this at the expense of diluting the main tenets of the GAA i.e. promoting and developing IRISH sports, culture, language etc.

What?

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: dublinfella on August 02, 2007, 10:36:06 AM

so prods cant be Irish?  ::)

Has this ever been an issue outside the 6?
There have been some protestants who have played for Wicklow over the years. Dont know of any incidents but we're not really comparing apples with apples by saying that, Wicklow hasnt had people being shot and killed because of their religions over the past 30 years. (I was going to say oranges with oranges but thought I might get into trouble).
There is always going to be some element of "chat" in any game, anything thats different is going to be used. I mean if I got upset everytime an opposing fullback called me a fat baldy c*nt sure I'd never play at all.

Maximus Marillius

Hardy I tought that was an obvious thing for me to say, because there would elements within each club, including our own who are bigots and would have difficulty with us actively encouraging protestants to get invovled particularly at primary level(because they would realise that the long term consequences of this action is that its inevitbale the children would develop into adults who would play senior football for their club) I can see the faces of some of the more bigotted members when at the U8, u10 and u12 coaching, protestant fathers and mothers would be on the pitch at the coaching sessions(we encourage and want parental involvment)....that what I mean when i talk about soul searching

believebelive

The GAA is about the preservation of Irish language and sports but does this mean that only nationalists have the right to play our sports? The notion that a protestant/unionist cannot embrace irish sports and culture is lunacy.

Hardy

MM - understood. As regards the difficulties the bigots would have, I support the Christy Brown philosophy.

"F**k them!".

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Msgr. Horan on August 02, 2007, 11:14:27 AM
There have been some protestants who have played for Wicklow over the years.

Jack Boothman himself is a Protestant, great president he was, and great man he is.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Star Spangler

Quote from: Tankie on August 02, 2007, 10:08:51 AM
How can they ever be a member of the GAA as they are not only about their sports but also a cultural organisation to promote the Irish culture. it would be a bit like a nationalist joining the OO.

I'm confused.  How does making the GAA non-sectarian impact on the Irishness of the organisation?  Or to simplify the same question, why should it?

A Quinn Martin Production

@ dublinfella...Prods can be Irish of course but you cannot ignore the fact that a significant number of northern Prods don't consider themselves Irish and don't want to be Irish.  
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties