Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Gnevin, you're allowed to say whatever you want about how superior your team are, just don't try and deny that you've said it.  Just don't be surprised when people tell you that you and many of your fellow supporters are arrogant, needlessly in my opinion.
I honestly don't know what way this game will go, I've seen Dublin 3 times this year and they're a decent side, could be a very good side, I don't know.  All I know is that these past few years they've been found wanting when it comes to the crunch - they may take a step towards the next level on Saturday, or they may not, but I can assure you that man for man there's not the gulf in class that you seem to think between the teams.
We fancy our chances come saturday, simply because with forwards like Bradley, Muldoon and Devlin and defenders like McGuckin, McCloy, Lockhart, McEldowney, McGoldrick we feel we might be able to keep a handle on the best Dublin attack in years.  Our midfield ably abetted by the likes of O'Kane and Lynch should be able to cope with your much vaunted midfield and Cullen.
Now, our biggest fear is that we'll pull out Monaghan like performance, but, let's face it the Dubs have had plenty of nightmare performances this year too, in fact our overall record in league and championship this year is probably better than the Dubs.  On thing's for sure, this Derry side is much stronger than the last Derry team to beat the Leinster champions back in 2004, they will have to be in order to progress too.
Can't wait myself, hopefully it'll be a cracker.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on August 09, 2007, 03:26:29 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 09, 2007, 03:24:20 PM
(but he is starting to pick these up due to his physical footballing style - mix of Brian mullins - no relation-  and shane ryan).
Nothing to do  with a bitter antidub manager who is just out to ruin Dublin's prospects and plays him in every game?  :P
well the other minor bannestoir might not like Dublin and didnt call him up for the u17's until recently
but this culchie coach has taken him for individual coaching lessons, so that he can now kick points wheras he couldnt kick the ball straight at all last year and could only fist points after running from midfield.

its thanking me ya should be ya ungrateful fecker!  :D

his holiness nb

Are the Derry fans who predicted a Derry win this weekend being arrogant??

No, thats what fans of a team usually do, have more faith in them than people from outside their county.
Same in every county, same in every sport, same in Dublin, same in Derry.

The selection of quotes saying Dublin will win could easily be matched with matching quotes saying Derry will win, and from this very thread. But why bother dragging these quotes up and grouping them together to try to make a point that doesnt exist??

Justy stop bickering and enjoy the game, and may the best team win.
If they dont, fair play to Derry  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Will Hunting on August 09, 2007, 03:05:30 PM

DubsforSam1,
Most of what you say (esp. the bit about occassion/atmosphere etc.) is exactly why I would have Dublin favourites for this game. Dublin have an extremely strong attack, but I hope our defence can cope with it. The game against Laois became too open for Derry's liking and in the end Laois scored 2-11 (something similar to what they scored against Dublin). But we were more than capable of outscoring them. However, it is too short-sighted to view one single game. Derry conceded 9 points against Armagh and 1-6 against Mayo (whom Dublin conceded 1-16 against last year). A good defensive performance can provide us with a platform for victory, as Derry then seek to target Dublin's defence.

Will - Defending against an Armagh team with only one decent forward in McDonnell who themselves place at a slow pace is totally different to playing against Dublin....Yes you defended well against Mayo but they have been a disaster this year in the championship....

Will Hunting

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 09, 2007, 03:41:37 PM

No, thats what fans of a team usually do, have more faith in them than people from outside their county.

The selection of quotes saying Dublin will win could easily be matched with matching quotes saying Derry will win, and from this very thread. But why bother dragging these quotes up and grouping them together to try to make a point that doesnt exist??

I agree that every county has more belief in their team than others. I have no issue with Dublin fans predicting their team to win, I have already said that Dublin deserve to be clear favourites (but 1/3 is a joke). My problem is with the dismissive attitude of the dubs in saying that they are 2 levels above Derry and claiming that Derry are a 1 man team!

his holiness nb

Quote from: Will Hunting on August 09, 2007, 03:52:29 PM
I agree that every county has more belief in their team than others. I have no issue with Dublin fans predicting their team to win, I have already said that Dublin deserve to be clear favourites (but 1/3 is a joke). My problem is with the dismissive attitude of the dubs in saying that they are 2 levels above Derry and claiming that Derry are a 1 man team!

Dont be so touchy though, a lot worse has been said about Dublin, just ingnore the obvious bullshit.

Re the odds, thats due to the huge population in Dublin, they want to discourage people from backing Dublin. If the odds were realistic loads more people would back Dublin, then god forbid they actually won, the bookies would loose a fortune.
Ask me holy bollix

Tyrone Dreamer

Ive honestly never seen 2 sets of fans try to talk their own teams up so much ahead of a big game, its usually the exact opposite. Id say whichever team loses, there'll be a few of the boys mssing from the board next week.

Tankie

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on August 09, 2007, 06:19:46 PM
Ive honestly never seen 2 sets of fans try to talk their own teams up so much ahead of a big game, its usually the exact opposite. Id say whichever team loses, there'll be a few of the boys mssing from the board next week.

well we should have a peaceful week with no Derry lads on next week ;D
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Quote from: Will Hunting on August 09, 2007, 03:52:29 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on August 09, 2007, 03:41:37 PM

Clear favourites and a level or two a above is half dozen  of one and 6 of the other .

Infact if i  laying a bet and i said to someone who going to win and they said x is a level or two above  y . I'd think x should win but it's going to be close .

If they said x is clear favourite i'd expect x to well ahead at the end .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Real Talk

Name me ONE team still in the championship that has a FBL that can successfully deal with repetitive 'high diagonal balls'

southderryman

derry unchanged for sat

Derry: B Gillis, M McGoldrick, K McCloy, G O'Kane, L Hinphey, SM Lockhart, Francis McEldowney, F Doherty, J Conway, M Lynch, P Murphy, E Muldoon, C Devlin, Paddy Bradley, C Gilligan.

INDIANA

while i believe dublin will win on saturday- derry fans wil be pleased to know that i don't consider dublin two levels above derry. i'm still unconvinced by some of the dublin players-played against them at length- and i'm not sure how some of them will deal with a side that gives them loads physically. if they come through that sort of test then i feel we can genuinely say we can be fearful of nobody.i think if derry hold their own for 20 mins - it will be tight enoiugh until the last 10 where i feel dublin will pull away to win by about 4 points.
I wouldn't rate some of the players as highly as dubsforum and some of the others. that's just my opinion. you don't lose to an average side like mayo last year to be a level above the rest. you need to do something to prove you are and beating laois doesn't really count in my view.

ONeill

Having seen both sides develop at close quarters in recent years, this match is a toss-up. There are NO 'levels' between them. Derry could teach Dublin a thing or two about intensity and physicality. On the other hand, the Jackeens have a wider spread of flair in attack and, if Derry allow it, can cut loose for 15 minute spells. Crozier and Lockhart are too long-in-the-tooth to allow that to happen.

The Dubs have a horrendous record in recent years against 'six-county' teams in Croker.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ExiledGael

Jesus lads some battle for supremacy here before the ball's even thrown in, should be a hell of a game then so.
Fascinating battle and much tighter than the bookies have it, will have a flutter on Derry simply due to the stupidly long odds.
However Dublin could easily blow them away, but if Derry keep in touch I think they will edge out any close game. If Derry can apply pressure and ask serious questions of Dublin's mentality late on I think they'll be found wanting.
Flip of a coin, but I hope Derry can do Ulster proud

Fear ón Srath Bán

Dublin are as cocky as the cockiest of prancing peacocks in the cocky peacocks cockiness ball in the cocky-peacock castle of consummate cockiness!  (See what you started Hardy! Finished now  ;))
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...