Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I think Dublin deserve a little more credit for winning this, and for knowing how to win it, than is being given here. For me it was won on the sideline and in the half time dressingroom.

Whatever was done, Derry had far fewer options in the forwards in the second half than the near embarrassment of choices the player in possession  had in the first half. There were also far more blue jerseys back there in the second half. It was impossible to see on TV who exactly had been moved or how the tactics had changed and of course you mightn't be expecting Canning/McStay even to notice, never mind tell you. I was a bit disappointed that Brolly/O'Rourke didn't pinpoint it, but they were too busy blaming Eoin Bradley for everything. OK he was selfish and made a few mistakes as well, but I thought the lads were going to blame him for the weather at one stage.

So can anyone who was there explain what Dublin changed at half time?

Whatever it was, Derry's sideline couldn't seem to come up with anything to counter it. They also failed badly, in my opinion, in not using Muldoon to best effect. He won a lot of midfield possession, but he wasn't needed at midfield. Somebody with his skill, ball-winning ability and predatory instincts might have made all the difference in the full forward line, to make better use of the generous possession they enjoyed.

The swooning over Cluxton is a bit much. You'd be disappointed if your junior club goalie didn't save those two. Credit him for being very fast out to the second one. He's a good keeper, but today didn't add anything to his reputation in my book, especially when you consider the balls dispatched over the sideline.

I'd reiterate, though, that Dublin deserve more credit for beating a good team than they're getting. 18 points is a good return for a team beaten out of it in midfield. Vaughan's reliability with long distance frees is a huge asset to any team and with Bernard Brogan's form, they're suddenly looking like a team with a lot of scoring options.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteThe swooning over Cluxton is a bit much. You'd be disappointed if your junior club goalie didn't save those two. Credit him for being very fast out to the second one. He's a good keeper, but today didn't add anything to his reputation in my book, especially when you consider the balls dispatched over the sideline.

Agree entirely. The first shot was particularly easy to save. Straight above him, any decent goalie would stop it.

Must say though, I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody score 45s with the apparent ease that Vaughan performs the task. An average enough footballer but a superb free taker.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Bogball XV

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 11, 2007, 07:27:05 PM
QuoteThe swooning over Cluxton is a bit much. You'd be disappointed if your junior club goalie didn't save those two. Credit him for being very fast out to the second one. He's a good keeper, but today didn't add anything to his reputation in my book, especially when you consider the balls dispatched over the sideline.

Agree entirely. The first shot was particularly easy to save. Straight above him, any decent goalie would stop it.

Must say though, I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody score 45s with the apparent ease that Vaughan performs the task. An average enough footballer but a superb free taker.
Yeah, Cluxton is a very good keeper but todays saves didn't add to his reputation imo - Gillis made a fabulous save early on (or at least it appeared that way to me).
As for Vaughan, you just knew that he wasn't going to miss today, bring back Quinn!!

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteYeah, Cluxton is a very good keeper but todays saves didn't add to his reputation imo - Gillis made a fabulous save early on (or at least it appeared that way to me).

Not really sure I agree on the Gilis save. It was athletic enough but I think Brogan's shot was more of a mishit point attempt and had no real power. Antoher save you'd expect the goalie to make
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Bogball XV

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 11, 2007, 07:39:25 PM
QuoteYeah, Cluxton is a very good keeper but todays saves didn't add to his reputation imo - Gillis made a fabulous save early on (or at least it appeared that way to me).

Not really sure I agree on the Gilis save. It was athletic enough but I think Brogan's shot was more of a mishit point attempt and had no real power. Antoher save you'd expect the goalie to make
I'd need to see it again alright, thing is if you check out the derry club thread, you'll see everyone calling for Gillis's head all week, simply because they reckon he doesn't do agility.

Leo

Big Doherty at midfield - what a performance. He was constantly being fouled yet still won great ball. Where was the ref on persistent fouling?
Derry had the winnings of this but young Bradley wasted too much ball - Murphy was a big loss. Derrry should have taken McGuckin off early on - clearly not fit - skinned right and left.

I'd like to see this Derry team stay together - good honest football and very entertaining - but SML looks past his best.
Fierce tame altogether

Tyrones own

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 11, 2007, 07:27:05 PM

Ok but i wasn't really going off todays game, since he came on the scene he has been topdrawer, day in day out imo
Credit where credit is due lads, don't let the fact that he's a cheeky Dub blind you's to the fact :P

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

INDIANA

i'd disagree Hardy fundamentally with your analysis of the Dublin line. We didn't make changes quick enough. Anybody could see their were at least 7 Dublin players not at the races today. If that's the case you make changes. If you haven't the confidence to use your subs there is no point in having them on the panel. I expect Kerry to win tomorrow and i dread to think how we will cope with the Kerry forwards.
Shane Ryan has been an excellent foil for Whelan. But he isn't the biggest in the owrld Midfield is land of the giants at this stage and Derry in the second half took over. I think when some of the Derry players watch it back on video they will shoot themselves. They had oceans of posession and kicked it away or took poor shot selection. Just a point had Bradley used his right foot in the last minute he's have scored- he actually gave Cahill the chance to block because he used his left.

we are blue... etc

Dublin to me seemed to drop back in huge numbers in the second half, Derry found it very difficult to get through the centre, as we did in the Leinster Final. Also as we did in the LF they were trying to basically walk the ball into the goal, rather than taking their points. Some bad misses by Eoin Bradley and Paddy Bradley (the free) but some great points by both also.

Cluxton's first save was straightforward as the ball was hit straight at him, the second you'd expect of any intercounty goalie.

Good to see the Dubs being magnanimous in victory at the end, suits them much better. Maybe we're just worse losers than Derry are.  ;)

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 11, 2007, 04:44:47 PM
Derry throw it away, 3 goal chances blown,

They're called saves.

Quote from: bcarrier on August 11, 2007, 05:47:24 PM
I'm cleaned out backing against Dublin this year.

A lesson to be learned there...

screenexile

Very very diasppointed with the match today... I think we'll never have a better chance to beat them!

Personally I think that starting McGuckin was maybe a mistake (hindsight's a great thing eh?). It disrupted our line slightly and he was defintiely a but rusty. McCloy was an absolute collusus... the man was simply immense today. Lockhart struggled, but it was clear to see that he was trying his best and to be fair A. Brogan is a quality player. I thought G. O'Kane played pretty well and was good on the break. McGoldrick at CHF was OK but I think he would have been better utilised in the corner. Francis McEldowney also struggled with Brogan and to be fair (with hindsight again) I thin kB. Brogan mightn't have done as well if Hinphey had 'saftnened' him early on as he likes to do.

Midfield, Doherty was simply immense. Against CIaran Whelan, your side down 5 points, to take a one handed catch like that is just courage and skill of the highest order. He was my man of the match. Conway struggled on Whelan in the first half and then Ryan in the 2nd half. Diver could have came on earlier IMO.

Half forward line, Lynch had a stinker, Murphy was awesome in the first half, and unfortunately Muldoon went a but missing at crucial stages although he did win some good primary possession at times. Full forward line were very good, Bradley and Devlin when they got ball looked very dangerous but we didn't get enough good ball into them. Gilligan was excellent first half but struggled 2nd half.

As for our subs well i think all has been said about E. Bradley. His introduction IMO disrupted the flow of the team. I thought we left it a bit late to bring Diver also.

All in all I enjoyed the game and the better team definitely won. The referee was dodgy for us in the 1st half with Devlin's apparent 'double bounce' and that push over the line for Vaughan's 45 at the end of the first half.

For DUblin, I'd be very worried as we showed up a lot of weaknesses which were being argues over the past week on here. Cluxton kept them in the game and whenyour goalkeeper is your best player you're in a bit of trouble. However the Dubs can still win the All Ireland and it will be an interesting last few games from now on in... anyway Derry have a good foundation there and if Muldoon and Lockhart can be persuaded to stay on we have a definite chance next year... Monaghan for SAM!!!!!

oakleaf stateside

i dont think eoin bradley is to blame for our defeat. the lad has not played at this level all year due to his ban so i think he was lacking in match minutes. he made his own space, was fit to beat his man but his scoring just let him down which is unusal alot more than i can say for devlin, he did not want to no. think doc and mc coly were unreal they give it there all. paul murphy was a big loss due to his injury i heard he got two injections a few hours before the game. i hope this derry team stick together all they need is an ulster title so they can believe in themselves. this derry team has beat a few good teams in this backdoor system but have nothing to show for their hard work.

p.s the ref is a c**k sucker. if the dubs want to win sam they will need him in their starting 16
Dont Do It

Dinny Breen

Hmm, have to agree with Hardy in the fact the Dubs aren't getting any credit, they had a game on their hands today and responded well. Dublin deserved their win and would be my favourites for Sam, actually the animosity towards the Dubs is becoming quite painful and almost has me hoping they'll win it.

Vaughan had another good game today, he mighten have scored from play but he set up a lot and his work-rate was excellent, nice to see he didn't react to provocation and just gave a wry smile each time. I thought Sherlock had his best game for the Dubs this year and provided a little bit of leadership. Still can't for the life of me understand how Collie Moran gets his game.

Eoin Bradley was an easy target for the pundits today and it is wrong to single out an individual in a team defeat.

Just thinking if Kerry win tomorrow will it be the first time ever we don't have an Ulster team in the All-Ireland Semi-finals? Will tomorrow be the day the music died?

School boy error, anyway if it's 2 years in a row surely the music has died....
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Quote from: oakleaf stateside on August 11, 2007, 09:36:01 PM

p.s the ref is a c**k sucker. if the dubs want to win sam they will need him in their starting 16
"c**k" is right. Easy frees in midfield and up front played a large part in Derry's late comeback

Bogball XV

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 11, 2007, 10:00:04 PM
Hmm, have to agree with Hardy in the fact the Dubs aren't getting any credit, they had a game on their hands today and responded well. Dublin deserved their win and would be my favourites for Sam, actually the animosity towards the Dubs is becoming quite painful and almost has me hoping they'll win it.

Vaughan had another good game today, he mighten have scored from play but he set up a lot and his work-rate was excellent, nice to see he didn't react to provocation and just gave a wry smile each time. I thought Sherlock had his best game for the Dubs this year and provided a little bit of leadership. Still can't for the life of me understand how Collie Moran gets his game.

Eoin Bradley was an easy target for the pundits today and it is wrong to single out an individual in a team defeat.

Just thinking if Kerry win tomorrow will it be the first time ever we don't have an Ulster team in the All-Ireland Semi-finals? Will tomorrow be the day the music died?
No Ulster team last year either.