Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddgnhand

Ref was a joke lost count of the occasions he moved the ball forward at frees for Dublin. Twice in the last 10 mins Derry were awarded free's followed by a lot of decent from the Dub's and the ball was not moved forward. That Dublin team couldnt possibly win the AI.l  

tyssam5

Never saw a team win as much ball in MF and still lose a half so badly as Derry in 2nd half.

Good qualifier team though.... :D

inisceithleann

What was Crozier thinking bringing on Eoin Bradley, Paul Murphy must have been injured. He was a disaster when he came on, has he ever heard of passing? I wouldn't have that man anywhere near the team.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

FermPundit

Derry had their chances today. Totally dominated midfield as well. Paul Murphy must have been injured at half time. Eoin Bradley wasn't at the races at all when he came on. I don't think Dublin will won the all ireland on that performance.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Rossfan

Is the fisted point not allowed in Derry or something?
Why they had to try for goals when there was no room and no need in the midldle of the second half???
Talk about leaving it behind them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twotwocharlie

a little bit more belief needed lads . can Mc Cloy transfer to armagh please . some player.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Derry kicked themselves out of that game. They were on top between the 40th and 50th minutes but were 4 points down instead of being level as they should have been. I'd agree that both goal chances in the early 2nd half should have been fisted over the bar.

Dublin didn't look all that hot. You'd have to expect the winner of Kerry / Monaghan to win the semi final unless Dublin improve.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

tyroneman

Derry first half was a reaaly really good performance. Dubs kept in it by Vaughns excellent free taking (wish we had him last week). Derry played way better in attack that I thought they would have but as has been already said - left it behind them.

Dubs traditional jitters have not been cured and it would be interesting to see how they would react with a more potent forward line against them. Having said that though this was EXACTLY the sort of tough game they needed to bring them on. Ye can play Laois etc until the cows come home but getting tight mnarking and BIG slaps from McCloy, SML, McGuickan (very lucky to stay on) etc is a different league altogether.

Good game from Bradley snr. S**te  from Bradley jnr (at least Paddy now isn't the greediest f***er in the Derry panel). Derry MF very good. Gilligan great 50-55 faded thereafter.

Muldoon - some great passes but anonymous for the most part.

Kerry will let Dublin play more football and for that reason I think it will be the Dubs year.

imtommygunn

Dublin were the better team but they did nothing to justify the arrogance displayed by some people on here talking about levels above etc.

Derry are a few short of being a real good team but they have some excellent defenders and Doherty and Bradley are top class too. If Murphy had been fully fit and McGuckin too I think things would have been different too. Eoin Bradley for his second goal "attempt" didn't make any effort at all to side step the keeper and for the first one just hit it at him. For a boy who has such a big reputation - especially for scoring cracking goals - I expected Eoin Bradley to be deadly one on one. Turns out he was useless.

Dublin have a lot of questions to be answered. Full back is a big problem and with the threat of Kieran Donaghy looming that doesn't bode well. Some forwards were found wanting too - Jayo and Bernard Brogan until McEldowney was moved off him were the only forwards to really show. They'll be facing a much stiffer test in presumably Kerry and to be honest on that display Sam ain't going nowhere near the capital this year...

we are blue... etc

Quote from: twotwocharlie on August 11, 2007, 05:08:36 PM
a little bit more belief needed lads . can Mc Cloy transfer to armagh please . some player.

If cloning were possible I'd have an order in for about 5 of him for our defence. Some man.

Should have been a lot closer at the end. For both goal chances the fellas just swung at the ball, all it needed was a side step or turn to put them in a better position. Canning & McStay raving about Cluxton, in fairness all he had to do for the first was stand his ground the ball was hit straight at him. Speaking of which Martin Breheny in the Indo today nearly made me choke on my cornflakes:
"STEPHEN CLUXTON is not only the supreme goalkeeper of his era, but can go on to challenge for the honour of being the best of all time."

Derry ran midfield in the second half, bad shot selection let them down at the end.

bcarrier

I'm cleaned out backing against Dublin this year.

Not sure how Derry lost this. Eoin Bradley had biggest mare Ive seen in Croker since em .......Mulligan last week.

Derry have some mighty men though. Muldoon won some pile of ball in 2nd half, McCloy, and Paddy Bradley excellent too.

Dont buy into frees thing - on balance Dublin got given more soft scoreable frees by ref. Think Derrys tenth score was first from free.

tyroneboi

Am i the only one who thought bradley was alright when he came on? He seemed to have the beating of his man just he was let down by his shooting. I think all those slagging him off are just repeating what that idiot Kevin 'turnover' McStay was saying on the TV. On that, Ger Canning was at his pathetic worst today - his tongue was so far up the Dublins team ass it was unreal! McStay was no better.

INDIANA

very disappointing from a dublin perspective. Cluxton saved us. derry had no conviction and never believed they could win - because if they did i think they would ahve won. Cleaned out in the backs and only had one midfielder. Forwards mixed the good with the bad. Can't see us beating Kerry - will have more thoughts but that's my initial reaction. Derry a very good side -perhaps 3 short of being top class. Eoin Bradley but not  ateam player and if paddy had one of his chances he had have buried it.
Cluxton is the shot-stopper of the generation anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot quite frankly. Only for him we were out. Paul  Murphy was an incalcuable loss for Derry. As regards Kerry letting dublin play more football-won't matter because they will beat us in a high scoring shootout.

Tyrones own

I agree with Cluxton being in a class of his own, not alone his goal stopping
  but his ball placement and general reading of a game. Who else comes close???
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Bogball XV

Hard to know what to make of the game without seeing it again, and tbh I don't want to see it again.  Dublin were probably deserving winners, Vaughan couldn't put a foot wrong from frees, but he added little in open play, but then with free taking like that, it hardly matters.
Criticism of Bradley is a bit harsh, he made the first chance himself, and Devlin would have been better off shooting himself the second time, by the time Bradley got the ball the keeper had closed him down (it was a terrible effort all the same, probably indicative of his lengthy lay-off).
There were a lot of encouraging performances for Derry, but as soem of ye have pointed out, we're just a bit short of the top tier, as for the Dubs, they could go on to take Sam, but they're no world beaters either, if they play Kerry they could beat them, but they'll probably have to up their performance a bit from today (not that Kerry have shown much yet this year, I personally think Monaghan have a good chance tomorrow anyway).
For me, Meath have still been the most impressive side I've seen.
Anyway lads, good luck to the Dubs, they deserve a title at this stage tbh, but 2 levels above Derry????