Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fer fox ache

From a Derry perspective I wouldn't be surprised to see Joe Keenan start ahead of Hinphey thought he did well when he came on against Laois

Real Talk

Quote from: fer fox ache on August 01, 2007, 05:28:15 PM
From a Derry perspective I wouldn't be surprised to see Joe Keenan start ahead of Hinphey thought he did well when he came on against Laois

And where would you play K McGuckin?  I don't think Keenan has the physical strength to mark and deliver at HB against Dublin he's more of a 'corner back'

gaagaa

hinphey most likely to go, though would you risk kevin starting when not match fit?  goalie a big problem - tries to save with his feet instead of putting his hands down.
skinner needs to start / come on very early for devlin - ideal setting for him to come in - dont think any dub defender would be fit for him

bailestil

Quote from: gaagaa on August 01, 2007, 10:17:52 PM
hinphey most likely to go, though would you risk kevin starting when not match fit? 
Quoteskinner needs to start / come on very early for devlin - ideal setting for him to come in - dont think any dub defender would be fit for him

Bit of a contradiction there considering Skinner hasn't played in 2 months either.
I think everyone is getting carried away with Skinner ready to step up and becoming the saviour!
Far more likely that Paddy B will step up to the big stage and deliver the goods. People are having Collie Devlin off the team before a ball is kicked. Paddy is not only scoring  he's setting up a lot more than he ever done!

If they reckon McGuckian is fit, i'd play him at Wing-back, and if needs be swap him with Mick McGoldrick.

Any word on Diver?

gaagaa

Quote:- If they reckon McGuckian is fit, i'd play him at Wing-back, and if needs be swap him with Mick McGoldrick.

He's a natural talent with physical strength, genuine pace & good at one-on-ones, something we arent in abundance of.  McGolderick one of the best defenders in the team at the moment.

Real Talk

Quote from: bailestil on August 01, 2007, 10:47:57 PM
Quote from: gaagaa on August 01, 2007, 10:17:52 PM
hinphey most likely to go, though would you risk kevin starting when not match fit? 
Quoteskinner needs to start / come on very early for devlin - ideal setting for him to come in - dont think any dub defender would be fit for him

Bit of a contradiction there considering Skinner hasn't played in 2 months either.
I think everyone is getting carried away with Skinner ready to step up and becoming the saviour!
Far more likely that Paddy B will step up to the big stage and deliver the goods. People are having Collie Devlin off the team before a ball is kicked. Paddy is not only scoring  he's setting up a lot more than he ever done!

If they reckon McGuckian is fit, i'd play him at Wing-back, and if needs be swap him with Mick McGoldrick.

Devlin's work rate, technical ability, awareness,ability to win frees,fitness and pace makes him a brilliant asset to the Derry forward line.  Skinner should be kept as a sub to replace a tiring Murphy or Lynch.  Derry best keeper in the panel is 'Deets'.  He was a brilliant county Minor keeper(remember him scoring a penalty in Clones on a losing team) who could land the ball on a 'sixpence' which would be ideal for quick kick outs .... hardly going to happen is it?

Jinxy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 01, 2007, 04:41:35 PM
thats a true story about lally
but I am somewhat amused to find how people think he has got a good enough run to prove himself.
IMO he most def has not.
Loup - if you had seen him play from minor onwards youd realise his superb scoreing, balli winning and passing talent.
He's far too good in the forwards to be used as a mere wing back - though his conf has been so badly affected that he now believes he is indeed a wing half back.
(I had a 'debate' with him about this a few months back)

anyhow just glad that he is not playing against Derry as he would surprise a lot of folk (Derry , dublin and more ) at what he can do if he was on form got the ball

Caffrey picks who he thinks is his bst XV. Lally doesnt make it - not does he seem to make the next 5 - 10 places.

Caffrey is a nice man, but a thick hoor (pot , kettle....) - I have witnessed caffrey get thick and verbal fight with a few 13 years olds who said something he didnt like about na fianna (as in 'na fianna are shite')

Ouch. Glad I was too good for wing back as well or that would hurt my feelings.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

gaagaa

Quote from: Real Talk on August 01, 2007, 11:08:02 PM

Devlin's work rate, technical ability, awareness,ability to win frees,fitness and pace makes him a brilliant asset to the Derry forward line.

I think Devlin will be brushed away by strength of Dubs, though hope I'm wrong.  If Murphy's not on it will be a disaster for Derry

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Romeo on August 01, 2007, 04:57:23 PM
So that's you NOT commenting much on the game is it???  :D
yes - you obv dont know me !

Murphy if fit HAS to play - he has been a big reason in our resurgence.

Jinxy - what do you expect , I was mostly a forward myself!
But I suppose I should have said he was capable of playing a more central and responsible role and could score or create scores - a premium on that Dublin team right now!

tbrick18

Quote from: gaagaa on August 01, 2007, 11:26:29 PM
Quote from: Real Talk on August 01, 2007, 11:08:02 PM

Devlin's work rate, technical ability, awareness,ability to win frees,fitness and pace makes him a brilliant asset to the Derry forward line.

I think Devlin will be brushed away by strength of Dubs, though hope I'm wrong.  If Murphy's not on it will be a disaster for Derry

In yesterdays Irish News Murphy said is knee was injured. Swelling as gone down but he cant bend it much though mobility has improved.
He's hopeful he'll be fit but says there may be cartilidge damage. I'd be doubtful he'll play to be honest.

Loup Bandit

Hopefully Murphy will pull through, the extra week may help so fingers crossed. He was the missing link in the half forward line.
As for Devlin not being up to it against the Dub's i totally disagree. And the wide open spaces of Croker will benefit him even more, if you look at his off the ball movement it is first class. He is a very intelligent, unselfish player and seems to be working well with Paddy Bradley up front.

On Eoin Bradley, cant see him starting but would be a great weapon to bring on. If Derry are in trouble he should be introduced sooner rather than later, not with 10 mins to go and expected to turn the game around and get the scores.

I think the extra week will do McGuckin the world of good and he may just get the nod over Hinphey who was a bit out of sorts against Laois. At the back i would put Lockhart on Alan Brogan, McCloy on Vaughan and if he does start maybe McGuckin on Keaney, this all depends of course on McGuckins fitness. Mickey McGoldrick could maybe be pushed to wing back and id be confident in his ability out there too. Would have no concerns of putting McGuckin on the edge of the square.

Would also love to see Joe Diver play. His mobility, power and speed could be very dangerous, not to mention his aerial ability. he would work himself into the gorund for the team and would certainly be up for it!

tbrick18

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 02, 2007, 11:59:42 AM
Diver is back out training at full tilt again.

Good stuff....I really like Diver and rate him highly. I doubt he'll get a start though with MF doing so well against Laois.
But if we're strugling there defo love to see him come on. The thing I like most about him (and this is in no way meant to belittle the skillfull player he is) is the obvious desire and enthusiasm he has on the pitch. I think too many players these days try to play it cool where Diver lets his emotions show and will jump for joy when he scores a point.

his holiness nb

With the few players struggling with fitness and injury would I be right in saying (who you are playing aside) that being drawn to play in the second week of quarter finals is a huge plus for ye?
Ask me holy bollix

lynchbhoy

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 02, 2007, 02:51:38 PM
With the few players struggling with fitness and injury would I be right in saying (who you are playing aside) that being drawn to play in the second week of quarter finals is a huge plus for ye?
absolutely
we would have struggled to field a lot of the players who started against Laois.
Even then after an additional weeks rest, we will still be touch and go on a few key players
Right now we are down about 5 with only one most likely to be fit for next week. Too early to say yet regarding the rest, but its unlikely they will all recover.