Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

doubt bonner will start- the management wanted him to start the second game against meath but he felt he wasn't fit enough and refused- so i'd say there is little chance of bonner starting(in fact i'd say none).
in a practice game last sat - ie a v b . brennan played on the a team instaed of casey-the rest was the same. now i still think casey will start but he's under pressure.personally i'd start brennan but pillar won't. Quinn willl be the first forward sub on that is a certainty and if there were to be any changes on the team then that would be it.
it will be the same team as versus laois wth brennan first in for the backs and quinn first in for the forwards.

jodyb

Quote from: Rav67 on July 31, 2007, 10:05:37 PM
the derry support would have been at least double for the armagh game if oxegen hadnt been on that weekend, the amount of derry people down at it was ridiculous i doubt any county had more
Gimme a break!! FFS the fact is that the vast majority thought that we hadn' a prayer!! Glad to say that a few of us kept the faith.

Although it was certainly more in hope than in expectation. I'm well used to being lonely in Clones, but Armagh/Derry 2007 has to be the lonliest (pre-match of course-----afterwards who cared!!??) in my memory.

WRT the discussion on bandwagoners etc etc, I have to say I'm delighted with the recent Derry turnouts and if 15,000+(though I cant see it) are up for the trip then absolutely why shouldn't they?

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 31, 2007, 05:08:05 PM
this'd be just the game that cocky fcuker skinner would love - i reckon he'd be worth about 2-2 from the bench - actually, probably more like 4-0 as I can't see him trying for anything other than goals in this one.

Maybe I dont pick up sarcasm that easy Bogball but, on the other hand, if your serious, I'd love to have you quote the last time he made anywhere near that contribution.

Absolutely rate him as a goodun, but just not that prolific. Too selfish, too cocky and just dont get the impression that he inspires those around him enough to avail of his undeniable talents an that's a problem. Thought his best ever county appearance was at centre forward against kildare last year (I think), but he doesn't seem to want that role, not enough glory. Problem problem problem!

oakleaf stateside

Quote from: screenexile on July 31, 2007, 04:35:24 PM
My Derry Team v Dubs (Wha')

Gillis (Lucky to still be there IMO)
Lockhart
McCloy
McGuckin
McEldowney
O'Kane
McGoldrick (If fit, I would have McBride in if not but I think Hinphey would get the nod from the Mgt)
Doc
Conway
Lynch
Murphy (If Fit, if not I'd have Bradley but I think Diver would be put there)
Gilligan
Muldoon (Roving)
BradleyC
Devlin

Can't see Eoin Bradley starting but as one of my mates said it might be an idea to use him as an impact sub and I think he would do well coming in against a Dubs team that usually burns itself out too quickly.
y play lockhart in the corner and mcgoldrick in the halfback line ????? why take them out of position at this stage of the championship. they have been playing great up till now. lockhart picks up alot of loose ball in front of mcCloy
Dont Do It

Bogball XV

Quote from: jodyb on July 31, 2007, 11:52:37 PM
Maybe I dont pick up sarcasm that easy Bogball but, on the other hand, if your serious, I'd love to have you quote the last time he made anywhere near that contribution.

Absolutely rate him as a goodun, but just not that prolific. Too selfish, too cocky and just dont get the impression that he inspires those around him enough to avail of his undeniable talents an that's a problem. Thought his best ever county appearance was at centre forward against kildare last year (I think), but he doesn't seem to want that role, not enough glory. Problem problem problem!
Agree with all you say, but he's the type who would absolutely revel in being the centre of attention in a packed croker - doesn't springfield regularly report that he's knocking in 2-5 odd for glenullin every week (suspension permitting), and I heard he was in the form of his life prior to his little altercation in front of Bruno.
I would definitely back him for a goal against Dublin, and whilst you couldn't start him, who'd give the lads on the field a lift if they were trailing by 3/4 points with 15mins left, Skinner or Crook (I'm usually loathe to criticise individuals, but I can't help it - the lad just isn't up to county standard).

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 31, 2007, 04:08:41 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 31, 2007, 03:41:12 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 31, 2007, 03:30:29 PM
Lynchboy
Was going to the Monaghan matches in the mid-80's when they were contesting Centenary Cup finals, leafue finals, All-Ireland semi-finals etc...so been around a while.....
Screen there have been approx 60k+ at the Dublin matches from the first round..a lot of them will lose out this time...
Anyway delighted to have my tickets sorted now..
therefore I cannot understand how you could say sucha thing as prev - unless you wrote without actually thinking about it.
I am sure you will admit that you may have not fully thought this out
All throughout the early 80's and onwards - any northern team that came down to contest croke park national league finals (as in Down v Armagh in 1982 was it?) to all Ireland semi finals (Tyrone, Monaghan, Derry ) - they had fans packed to the rafters- far outnumbering the Kerry, Galway, Dubs, Offaly etc fans of the day
do you not think?
Lynchboy

Thats when they were close to winning something....not for other games though...
nope - cant say I agree
national league attendances woul dbe the same - esp for the ulster teams.
Cant say I was at too many dub national league games in the 80's onwards, but any other county league game I was at this was the case and certainly midland teams would not have had much supprt - esp kildare.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Northside Dub on July 31, 2007, 04:31:26 PM
Clucko
Henry  McConnell  Griffin
Cahill   Cullen  Brennan
Whelan  Ryan
Bonner  A Brogan  Moran
B Brogan Keaney  Vaughan
looks good to me  ;) :)

Bogball XV

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 01, 2007, 10:15:36 AM
nope - cant say I agree
national league attendances woul dbe the same - esp for the ulster teams.
Cant say I was at too many dub national league games in the 80's onwards, but any other county league game I was at this was the case and certainly midland teams would not have had much supprt - esp kildare.
Was there not only about 20K odd at Derry v Tyrone in '92? 

tbrick18

Quote from: oakleaf stateside on August 01, 2007, 04:50:17 AM
Quote from: screenexile on July 31, 2007, 04:35:24 PM
My Derry Team v Dubs (Wha')

Gillis (Lucky to still be there IMO)
Lockhart
McCloy
McGuckin
McEldowney
O'Kane
McGoldrick (If fit, I would have McBride in if not but I think Hinphey would get the nod from the Mgt)
Doc
Conway
Lynch
Murphy (If Fit, if not I'd have Bradley but I think Diver would be put there)
Gilligan
Muldoon (Roving)
BradleyC
Devlin

Can't see Eoin Bradley starting but as one of my mates said it might be an idea to use him as an impact sub and I think he would do well coming in against a Dubs team that usually burns itself out too quickly.
y play lockhart in the corner and mcgoldrick in the halfback line ????? why take them out of position at this stage of the championship. they have been playing great up till now. lockhart picks up alot of loose ball in front of mcCloy

Lochart has been playing at corner back since the monaghan game, even tho named at centre half.
The main reason to move mcgoldrick to half back is the fact that if mcguckian is fit he has to start in the corner. McGoldrick has been excellent so far and moving him to wing half back might improve our weakest line on the pitch. He can defend and go forward so might be a good move. I have to admit this is what I would try if McGuckian is fully fit....but only if he is fully fit. If not, he would be better coming on with 15 mins to go.
I think Diver would make a good impact sub for midfield (or as a third midfielder). I think Skinner would be an excellent impact sub, but if the injury to Murphy is serious I could see him starting as a direct replacement.

Bogball XV

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 01, 2007, 10:29:40 AMI think Skinner would be an excellent impact sub, but if the injury to Murphy is serious I could see him starting as a direct replacement.
Any word on Murphy, he'd be a big loss, has been a revelation since he got the chance - he's starting to show some of the form that made him a wonder kid years ago.

oakleafgael

If McCloy doesnt recover who would we play at Full Back? We look short of cover at number 3. Plenty of corner man but none for the edge of the square.

Loup Bandit

Not sure bout Paul Murphy's injury Bogball, heard a couple of different reports, one that he had a dead leg, the other it was his knee and he is due to go for a scan. The knee may be more accurate as he had it wrapped up with ice at the end of the game and didnt do the warm-down obviously. Would be a huge loss. Took the goal really well and caused Joe Higgins endless problems.

So has everyone got their tickets sorted yet?  :)

Maybe going against the grain here, but some of that crap bout the Dub's behaviour on the hill and the snow epidemic is very stereotypical. We are here to talk abut the game!

lynchbhoy

disaster disaster disaster
McCloy has a bought of Dengue fever - prob brought on by playing close to that swamp land near Breffni park.
Murphy is away to get the leg amputated today and will be trying to run by Friday on the new prosthetic leg. Not sure if his shooting will be as accurate with it.
Paddy Bradley is afraid of the number 11 and therefore wont play on the 11th of August.
Lockhart has a long standing trip to lourdes the same weekend and his wife wont let him get out of it.
I cant see us scoring at all let alone compete with dublin..we may as well not bother turning up.

Bogball XV

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 01, 2007, 11:03:17 AM

I cant see us scoring at all let alone compete with dublin..we may as well not bother turning up.
Maybe we should tell the lads to Coppers?

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 01, 2007, 10:17:49 AM
Quote from: Northside Dub on July 31, 2007, 04:31:26 PM
Clucko
Henry  McConnell  Griffin
Cahill   Cullen  Brennan
Whelan  Ryan
Bonner  A Brogan  Moran
B Brogan Keaney  Vaughan
looks good to me  ;) :)

Lynchboy

It's unusual not to have you in the Dub's camp in the build-up to a big game – but I suppose in the circumstances of this game, you're forgiven.  ;D

I'd be interested in hearing what your views would be on the best Dublin starting line-up (what starting 15 would you most fear – from a Derry perspective). I suppose Declan Lally would be in there.  ;) 
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

screenexile

Who is this Brennan fella ye are lookin in WHB? As much as I don't like Casey and think he's a tr**p he's game to fire his head anywhere and he brings a bit of steel and aggression to the Dubs defence so I don't think he should be dropped.

What's the craic with Moran playing WHF? He's a defender through and through and I thought that with Goggins finally getting ousted from that LHB slot Moran would have been staraight in there. God knows he'd be better than Cahill in that position (Don't really see what Cahill brings to the team at LHB, or at all really) Are the Dubs freally struggling that badly for natural WHF's.

My own view on the match is that Derry have a much more well rounded team than Dublin. McConnell, Henry, B. Brogan, Vaughan and Bonner haven't really proven themselves at this level whilst the jury is still out as to whether Cahill, Ryan and Moran are playing their natural positions and are effective in these positions for Dublin to push on enough to win that AI that escapes them.

I think Dublin's system and the fact that they have 15 supremely fit lads bursting their hole's for the cause has kind of masked the fact that this Dublin team does not really have the talent or skill level required to win an All Ireland - something we have witnessed with Mayo and a reason why I think the Dubs will keep coming close but ultimately come up short come September...

As for next Saturday's game Dublin are well capable of beating Derry but as Paddy Crozier himself has said... at our best Derry will beat any team in the country whilst at our worst we can get beaten by any team in the country... I'm going for a 4 point win for the Leafers though!