Free-taking from now on

Started by Jinxy, July 29, 2007, 12:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Of the 8 teams remaining, who has the most reliable free-taking combination, i.e. right side and left side? Farrell is very reliable from the left hand side but we struggle when a free is awarded out on the right hand side. Stephen Bray should be well able to take them with a bit of practice. I still prefer to see a man taking free's off the ground a la Vaughan, Meehan, Masters, Sheehan. It's a huge weapon to have for a team and I have to say I've been very impressed with Vaughans kicking. If the Dubs (God forbid) go all the way, he will have made the difference from previous years. I think Sligo and Monaghan may struggle with their free-taking in the big games, from what I have seen of them so far this season.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

An Laoch

It's really annoying that people harp on about players taking frees from their hands. You can be full sure that every inter-county free taker spends hours each week practising nothing but their free kick technique. They obviously go with what's most comfortable and effective for them, but still we've to listen to endless commentators, journalists - and even the odd gaaboard poster - say that kicking from the ground is the best way. Darragh Maloney is an excellent commentator but his marraige to kicking free's from the ground is tedious.

While I'm venting, the media whinging about handpassing being the death of football and that Kerry saved the game by kicking to a big man is nonsense. If a team's strategy is to retain the ball using handpasses then good luck to them - it's doubtless a better percentage play for keeping possession than mullocking a high ball 80 yards up the field.

Jinxy

Kicking off the ground IS the best way. Also, it means that you usually have someone who can kick 45's as well. Thats potentially another 2/3 points a game. Meath have no one to kick a 45 at the moment but we have an accurate freetaker who takes them from his hands. Those extra couple of points we are missing out on could make all the difference in a tight game. Vaughan, Masters, Meehan, Sheehan etc. can all convert 45's fairly comfortably.

Maguire01

Monaghan's biggest problem is our free taking. Finlay can be a great player out the field, but his success rate at frees can be awful (league semi-final against Meath being an extreme example). We have no one to take a 45.
I have wondered over this season if it wouldn't be better if Monaghan either called Duffy up from goals to try the long range frees, or just to play them in short to someone and make a better range.

Jinxy

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 29, 2007, 01:00:20 PM
Monaghan's biggest problem is our free taking. Finlay can be a great player out the field, but his success rate at frees can be awful (league semi-final against Meath being an extreme example). We have no one to take a 45.
I have wondered over this season if it wouldn't be better if Monaghan either called Duffy up from goals to try the long range frees, or just to play them in short to someone and make a better range.

I was actually thinking of that same example. If he was kicking them off the ground and maybe missed one, but then got a handy one next, he could have just popped it over and been back in business. But when you're kicking from the hand and you miss a couple, there ARE no handy ones. The confidence drops, so does the concentration and there are too many separate movements involved in kicking the free. I think that is what happened Finlay that day in Croke Park.

tyroneboi

kicking from the ground is one of the hardest skills in the game. some players just dont have the power or technique to stick them over from 45 metres. the likes of stephen o'neill, owen mulligan or cooper are excellent at kicking out of the hands. Oisin McCconville cant kick them off the ground anymore because of all the injuries he has had.

A good idea would be to allow a tee like the goalkeepers for the frees. think you would find more and more players kicking off the ground if they were allowed a tee similar to rugby kickers.

new devil

Would that not take up alot of time tyroneboi...haveing to wait for someone to come on with the T.. and what if u wanted to hit a short free etc?

tyroneboi

appreciate it might slow the game down a bit but the tee could be carried by the water carrier perhaps!

TacadoirArdMhacha

I think the main advantage of taking free from the hands is that its a lot easier to steal a few yards and bring the ball closer to goal.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Over the Bar

QuoteThe Maor Uisce might find it difficult to keep the tea hot for some players whilst looking after others who prefer cold water during the match.

Not only that but some players might want coffee instead and then where would it all end?

oakleaf stateside

the 2 best free takers out there has 2 be paddy bradley and gilligan. gilligan took ballinderry to the ulster final this year with his free taking
Dont Do It

qub la la la

does it really matter?? if the ball goes over the bar, who cares!

oakleaf stateside

meaths freetakers dont look to hot
Dont Do It

screenexile

Have to agree with OLS. Gilligan and Bradley are 2 of the best free takers around from either side and their success rate is extremely high. Add to that the fact that Muldoon can kick them from the ground when Gilligan's off and can hit 45's and you're looking at a team that you don't want to be conceding fouls against. Apart from this I'd say that Dublin would be next best with Vaughan and Keaney although Vaughan hasn't been tested in a real pressure situation yet!

Jinxy

Quote from: oakleaf stateside on August 07, 2007, 02:28:52 AM
meaths freetakers dont look to hot

??? Farrell has an excellent free-taking record.