Venice

Started by Mayo4Sam, July 23, 2007, 10:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Lads i know i asked this before but cant find the thread.
Any tips for venice? Think I'm staying in Lito
There for 6 days, is it possible to do a day trip to milan?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

Im going to Lake Garda in september and will be going on a day trip to Venice...I think Lake Garda is halfwayish between Venice and Milan so i reckon your a long way from Milan
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Mayo4Sam

Cheers Ziggy, not a lot of info on that link, anybody know anything else bout venice?

Mayo4Sam

Would also like to point out that this is a birthday present from Mrs M4S, in the same week that she made that stinkin trip to derry with me and reminded me to get Kings of Leon tickets
Very little to complain about at the minte  ;D

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 23, 2007, 11:11:33 PM
Would also like to point out that this is a birthday present from Mrs M4S, in the same week that she made that stinkin trip to derry with me and reminded me to get Kings of Leon tickets
Very little to complain about at the minte  ;D

Apart from Mayo losing...Sorry couldn't resist ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

armaghniac

Why bother with Venice, sure you'll get flooded towns in England.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tyrones own

Highly recommend it M4S, she'll be on your team for years to come ;)
Milan is about 3 hrs on a train, a long way for a day trip.
Tell her its too far away other wise she'll clean you out, not to mention you'll be bored to
tears as it's a major shopping town and damn expensive :o
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Hurler on the Bitch

There's a pretty cool square round in the university district...early evening has all these students - wanna see the women! - all chilling out at the pavement bars drinking camparii, while accross the way there are some lovely pizza resturants etc.. just a very nice place to hang out - all goes on to about 3.00 in the morning...  .. one thing I noticed about Venice is the silence as there are no cars, vespas etc. I don't care though where you are in the world, just to order a birra grande and watch the world go by is a pleasure..

T Fearon

Was in Venice last Wednesday week, just for the day, my second visit to the beautiful City. Was on holiday in Lake Garda (Torbole) and my wife and myself managed to negotiate a day trip to Milan all on our own as well. Bus from Torbole to Rovereto, train to Verona, and another to Milan.Had 6 full hours in Milan.

Verona is approx one hour from Venice and/or Milan (both in opposite directions of course) by Eurostar  train(it is advisable to book in advance to make sure you get on), and I reckon therefore you could get to Milan from Venice in approx two hours on the Eurostar train. Milan is super, 3 euros gets you a day ticket on the metro, and in our shirt time there we visited the cathedral, the vittorio emanuelle galleria and La Scala Opera House (5 euros gets you into the museum from where you van access a box and have a look at the auditorium), all within walking distance of ecah other, and we also did the tour of the San Siro and Museum, all as I say, in six hours, and had time for a meal as well, in the Vittoria Emanuelle Galleria (8 euros for a pin of Heineken)

intoDwest

6 days in Venice would be a lot, we had 5 days booked there before but after 3 we had seen enough and headed to Milan for the rest. Venice is ideal for a weekend break, you would get to see most of it and it is very chilled out. But for me anymore then 3 days is enough.

Milan is a treat. really nice city and really easy to get around.

lynchbhoy

was asked to find recommendations for Sardinia

anone know v good towns/hotels beside sandy beaches?

Bogball XV

2 hours 20 from Venice to Milan:
timetable here:
http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/nazionale.html
and
http://orario.trenitalia.com/b2c/TimeTable?stazin=venezia&stazout=milano&datag=24&datam=07&dataa=2007&timsh=13&timsm=18&lang=it&nreq=5&channel=tcom&x=29&y=10
Used to be in english, but I can't find it.  Don't know that I'd bother going to Milan personally, but, up to yourself, Verona is worth a visit, especially if you can take in the opera and still get back to Lido that night - I'm not into opera myself, but it's a great occasion in the old roman amphitheatre.
http://www.arena.it/eng/arenaeng.urd/portal.show?c=1

Oh, yeah, someone else mentioned it, and tbh about 2 days is plenty for Venice, but I presume you're going to Lido, which is essentially a beach resort beside Venice.  Also, be prepared for the crowds, Venice can be absolutely packed this time of year.

T Fearon

You're right, Venice was absolutely thronged last Wednesday week. If you intend using the Eurostar you would be advised to book at least a day in advance. We found arriving in Verona that the Eurostar was booked out that day, and we had to make do with a slower train to Milan (though the price was great, 19 euros each return, Verona to Milan!)

Also saw the cops in speedboats in Venice  launch a very heavy handed attack on a few black people selling fake handbags etc just up past St Marks Square, really heavy handed, kicked the stuff all over the place. I know they are doing wrong but I would have thought that there's much worse types of crime happening. Fair play to the lads, they were back on the streets with a fresh supply of handbags in 15 minutes ;D

Plenty to do in this  general area all the same, Lake Garda, Venice, Milan, Bergamo, Verona all fairly close at hand

Deal_Me_In

Can anyone provide possible hotel links in venice ~ 3* and reasonable priced for 2 nights. Thanks