Northern Ireland Civil Servants claim £24m in sick pay.

Started by Sky Blue, July 20, 2007, 08:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Do Civil Servants, Teachers,Nurses etc. in the non-occupied part of Ireland not get paid when they are off sick. Wind your Necks in Lads,jealously is an awful trait, rejoice in the fact that some workers have decent conditions

ludermor

Quote from: Pangurban on July 24, 2007, 02:06:23 AM
Do Civil Servants, Teachers,Nurses etc. in the non-occupied part of Ireland not get paid when they are off sick. Wind your Necks in Lads,jealously is an awful trait, rejoice in the fact that some workers have decent conditions

Jeasously my hole. For a start teachers and nurses (guards and prison officers) are public servants not civil servant. If you are sick you are entitled to sick pay yes, but it is still no excuse to abuse the system. And for what its worth id say the civil servants in the non-occupied part are just as guilty for abusing the syatem. Why do you say they have decent condition? the fact they can skive off whenever they can? The fact that most of them have switched off their brain for the rest of there lives is no reason to be jealous. Mind me asking what job you work in Pangarban?

Balboa

Ludermor.......My mother broke her wrist at work and was off for 2 mths, she was getting £60 quid a week sick pay when she was off. Would you prefer if everyone had conditions like that?

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Whilst the likes of the CSA are being completely restructured thanks to 'central' (sic) government for this part of the world, the future plans for our wee councils (all 26 of them) are being scandalously watered down.

Instead of the highly appropriate number of just 7 councils, which was only supported by one political party, the Assembly is now recommending 15 for the north, with a roll-out date of 2013, not 2009.

What a joke. The gravy train continues.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

ludermor

Balboa,
No i would'nt like everyone to have conditions like that, but surly she knew the condition while she worked there. Did she get any reimbursment at all? She would surely be entitled to some if she broke it at work So do you agree with the system being abused? do you like these gimps in 'jobs for life'.
I work for a builder and when we want to put in a footpath in dublin we have to apply to dublin corporation for them to give us a quote for the footpath. Now we could do this for say 5k but we are not allowed, we have to accept the corop quote of say 15k. they will then send in a crew of 10 and do the work over a bank holiday weekend so they can all claim overtime. of course they will never finish it in one day. the whole system if fucked. if it could be privatised it should.

Balboa

Ludermor......Everyone is f**king the system. Our Air conditioning needed fixed in our office (government office) we had 2 fellas came in, one held a ladder and the other scratched his head for a while and then got it going. The companys bill was £297 for 45 minutes "work"  ;)

Hurler on the Bitch

The unions come into to Stormont to tell the civil servants how the negotiations for the new pay deal were going. The shop steward stands up and says to the masses: "Well, we've negotiated a good deal as everyone will be getting a £20,000 bonus every year." The mass ranks nod their heads in appreciation. The shop steward continues: "Also, we have agreed that everyone will get a 70 per cent pay rise backdated for five years." Again the appreciative nods are seen throughout the room. "Finally," he goes on, "all staff will have to work only seven hours a week, which means that you are required onlt to turn up to work on Wednesdays." At that, silence is the reaction in the room until a voice pipes up from the back: "What? you mean every f**king Wednesday?"

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on July 20, 2007, 11:13:51 PM
Someone pointed out once - nobody self-employed takes sick... CS is a joke - try Local Government as a bigger one - its a stick and carrot thing - six months full pay and six months half...... great incentive not t o have a month under the duvet..... :-\

Maybe the north and south isnt that different after all. There is plenty of that shit going on down here too,not just in the civil service but in the semi-state companies as well.

ludermor

Balboa,
That seems very cheap!!! £297 for 2 fellas and parts for a call out seems very reasonable. Every trade has a minimum call out charge. How would you expect to pay these lads? Im sure Laoislad has a minimum charge for his works!
And if all it took was head scratching then when didnt you hop on the ladder on sort it out?

stiffler

I know a lad who works for the housing executive in the north, it must be the handiest number ever. Every thursday they go and play indoor football at lunchtime for an hour, then take their lunch after they get showered up and changed. the worst thing about it is they only clock out for half an hour!
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

imtommygunn

Not trawling through 5 pages of an argument so sorry if I repeat myself...

Is the CSA not about being remote from it's clients? If NI look after eastern england then it's likely some part of england look after ni CSA?

The political argument is ridiculous on this one. I dunno about the south but up here there are far too many. I've known too many people who go into these jobs and just get sucked in go nowhere and become,well or maybe they already are, lazy b******s. Don't get me wrong - I know a few in management who have done wellll but in quite a few cases the civil service makes lazy peoples lives easy because it can be the easy option for them. There should be a lot less up north and then that would not happen. That said this board would be a lot quieter without them!

People can train and play indoor football at lunch in their jobs. It's whether they make up the time which indicates how lazy they are / easy their job is...

Balboa

If you play football at lunchtime ie take 2 hrs you have to make it up somewhere else.Ludermor as to why i "didnt go up the ladder" myself i wouldnt liked to have fallen and had to take 6 months off on the sick & additionally put in a compensation claim  ;)

An Gaeilgoir

I have seen it myself in the Dept. of education in Athlone where the company i work for built new offices for the staff,there was tears from some when they moved in becuase they used to have a window seat and now didnt. But it didnt seem to bother them too much on a Saturday morning when they arrived in with their kids for some"overtime" mainly coffee and a chat with the girls. Also we carry out a lot of refurbishment work in hospitals around the country and yes people get disturbance money to move down a corridor to a new office,sometimes up to 5 grand....Finally de-centralisation.... civil servants should have no say in this,if they worked for a private company they would have the choice, move to the new location or be replaced..its high time the taypayer in this country got value for money and some of this deadwood who are just waiting for retirement be shipped out.

ludermor

Im working in the ERSI building at the minute and the staff here take the biscuit, literally. Every second day there is lunch reception for the workers which takes half a day, good day out for the lads.

Hurler on the Bitch

Sam McAughtery worked in the cs for years and tells the tale that he used to be invited along to meetings to make up the numbers as if you had 4 or more there you were entitled to tea, coffee and scones.... By the way, a mate was telling me that in order to change a lightbulb in a certain well-known building it costs £160.00 by the time all those who "take the call, prioritise it, code it, charge it, journal it, order new supplies, - and then finally the two men with the ladder arrive to change it... administration and "internal administration" is keeping these people in jobs....