Northern Ireland Civil Servants claim £24m in sick pay.

Started by Sky Blue, July 20, 2007, 08:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Quote from: Sky Blue on July 20, 2007, 01:12:18 PM
If Blacksheep's figure are correct it's far worse than even I imagined! The fact that Sammy G comes on to defend them shows you how the work ethic has complety disappeared in the North. Very sad.
WTF are you on about when did I defend anybody?

SammyG

Quote from: Blacksheep on July 20, 2007, 12:09:26 PM
"they administer several centralised departments, as well as call centres etc for the whole UK."

No they don't.

??? Are you sure? As I've already said I've never worked in the public sector but my understanding was that a lot of departments had been 'out sourced' to the regions from London.

5 Sams

Its not often I would agree with anything Sammy says but he is right on this count...the Belfast Benefit Centre on Chichester Street deals exclusively with London "broo" claims etc.....there must be a couple of thousand staff in there as well....I think the famous Ger Reid used to work there....and I am certain there are other offices in the north doing the same sort of thing.

The Aristocrat Years

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Long time dead on July 20, 2007, 12:00:12 PM
Quote from: SammyG on July 20, 2007, 11:58:00 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 20, 2007, 11:51:30 AM
Quote from: SammyG on July 20, 2007, 11:40:48 AM
Quote from: Blacksheep on July 20, 2007, 10:28:17 AM
There are 30,000 Northern Ireland Civil Servants for a population of 1.7m and 27,000 Irish (Free State) Civil Servants for a population of 4.1m. Says it all really.
A job creation scheme.

The actual figures are

UK Civil Service - 543000 out of a population of 60 million = 0.95%
RoI Civil Service - 38700 out of population of 4.1 million = 0.94%

So hardly any difference but don't let that get in the way of your rant.

even taking your figures sammy
NI CS having 30,000 looks ridiculously high when compared to the 39,000 in southern Ireland
It would be if they were just looking after NI but they're part of the wider UK CS and administer a lot of centralised departments.

Go on Sammy name them?
LOL
yeah sammy

'give us a link to them'

:D :D

Tony Baloney

Boolerhead Mel

Mr Sammy G is correct

12OO civil service staff in the CSA are contracted to work on Cases in the East of England a large amount of staff in Castlecourt do the same for the Broo. I suppose all you hardworking Bullroots are emailing on your own time and not your employers. Some of you try working in the CSA for a week you would not be long going on the sick having to listen to every w**ker under the sun abusing you verbally every day.    

SammyG

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 20, 2007, 03:12:51 PM
Quote from: Long time dead on July 20, 2007, 12:00:12 PM
Quote from: SammyG on July 20, 2007, 11:58:00 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 20, 2007, 11:51:30 AM
Quote from: SammyG on July 20, 2007, 11:40:48 AM
Quote from: Blacksheep on July 20, 2007, 10:28:17 AM
There are 30,000 Northern Ireland Civil Servants for a population of 1.7m and 27,000 Irish (Free State) Civil Servants for a population of 4.1m. Says it all really.
A job creation scheme.

The actual figures are

UK Civil Service - 543000 out of a population of 60 million = 0.95%
RoI Civil Service - 38700 out of population of 4.1 million = 0.94%

So hardly any difference but don't let that get in the way of your rant.

even taking your figures sammy
NI CS having 30,000 looks ridiculously high when compared to the 39,000 in southern Ireland
It would be if they were just looking after NI but they're part of the wider UK CS and administer a lot of centralised departments.

Go on Sammy name them?
LOL
yeah sammy

'give us a link to them'

:D :D

Just spoke to a mate, in the know and he reckons that DVLA, CSA and some of the benefits departments all do work UK wide.

Sky Blue

You always manage to twist things Sammy G!!  It doesn't matter a feck what work they are supposed to be doing. This thread is about the fact that the NI Civil Service has a very high absence rate. Probably the highest in Europe & North America, certainly higher that England or Ireland.
40% of the staff take no sick leave but the rest of the feckers are swing the lead.

How did you twist it round to which Departments they work in?

Do you think it is acceptable for tax payers to to put up with those sickness levels? A simple yes or no will do.

SammyG

Quote from: Sky Blue on July 20, 2007, 04:50:08 PM
You always manage to twist things Sammy G!!  It doesn't matter a feck what work they are supposed to be doing. This thread is about the fact that the NI Civil Service has a very high absence rate. Probably the highest in Europe & North America, certainly higher that England or Ireland.
40% of the staff take no sick leave but the rest of the feckers are swing the lead.

How did you twist it round to which Departments they work in?

Do you think it is acceptable for tax payers to to put up with those sickness levels? A simple yes or no will do.

FFS I haven't twisted anything. I commented on the post about how many there where in the NICS compared to the RoI CS.

As far as the sickness record as with all things it depends how you measure it. The NICS record also includes things like long-term sickness etc, which a lot of private sector firms don't include. I've no doubt that there are a sizeable percentage that are sciving but having said that if I was getting paid £9-11K a year to deal with sh1te day in and day out, I'd probably want to scive as well.

SammyG

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 20, 2007, 04:51:05 PM
Quote from: SammyG on July 20, 2007, 04:17:34 PM
Just spoke to a mate, in the know and he reckons that DVLA, CSA and some of the benefits departments all do work UK wide.

The DVLA is based in Swansea. The DVLNI is based in Coleraine, so no taigs get jobs there and it deals exclusively with NI.

Happy to bow to your superior knowledge, as I've said I don't work in the public sector and never have.

Bacon

I know a couple who work in that CSA and they use sick leave like everybody else uses annual leave. They have it worked out how many days they can take without getting a medical or what ever and milk the system for all its worth. Both young men in their 20s but they've had months of on "stress leave". Stop paying them full pay when they are sick and watch their health improve.

BTW avoid GT Victoria St at 3.30 in the afternoon or you'll be caught in the stampead as they all piss off early. What ever happened to 9 to 5?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Boolerhead Mel on July 20, 2007, 04:13:02 PM
Mr Sammy G is correct

12OO civil service staff in the CSA are contracted to work on Cases in the East of England a large amount of staff in Castlecourt do the same for the Broo. I suppose all you hardworking Bullroots are emailing on your own time and not your employers. Some of you try working in the CSA for a week you would not be long going on the sick having to listen to every w**ker under the sun abusing you verbally every day.    

no bother
I work for myself and save whoever my clients and customers are a lot of money.
From what you say, I feelsorry for you already. Not my cup of tea listening to that kind of carp

however, the plus side is the perm pensionable job, with little work to do.
Cant have it all your own way - though no one should have to listen to or take abuse etc.

Long time dead

Quote from: Boolerhead Mel on July 20, 2007, 04:13:02 PM
Mr Sammy G is correct

No us hard working bullroots have a brain and get a proper job.  ;)

Hurler on the Bitch

Someone pointed out once - nobody self-employed takes sick... CS is a joke - try Local Government as a bigger one - its a stick and carrot thing - six months full pay and six months half...... great incentive not t o have a month under the duvet..... :-\

Balboa

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on July 20, 2007, 11:13:51 PM
Someone pointed out once - nobody self-employed takes sick... CS is a joke - try Local Government as a bigger one - its a stick and carrot thing - six months full pay and six months half...... great incentive not t o have a month under the duvet..... :-\

I blame the system more than the people, if you were self employed and were gonna get full pay would you take a few days? And as for Peter the Punt bringing this issue up im sure his missus had a few sickdays in her time from the hidings he "allegedley" gave her......