Sligo v Cork, AI Quater Final

Started by Goin Down, July 19, 2007, 05:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Sligo have any chance of Progression?

Defineatly
No Chance
Depends on Corks Form
Mabye on their day
Doubt it, but tiny chance

Tyrone Dreamer

The GAA probably dont fix the draws but if they dont I cant understand why they dont take the doubt away by doing a proper draw. The last day was the worst yet with Brennan I think it was moving the balls round in a semi circle with his hand and none changing position. I cant understand why they wont put them in a drum which is properly shaken and then pull one out. It  would remove any doubt. They leave themself so open to the accusations with such a ridiculous draw. Should be sorted out.

The Real Laoislad

The way they do the FA Cup draws is the best way in my opinion
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Goin Down

Yeah thats a good system alright. Just posting to rise the topic to the top!
Remember This.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 20, 2007, 05:31:06 PM
The GAA probably dont fix the draws but if they dont I cant understand why they dont take the doubt away by doing a proper draw. The last day was the worst yet with Brennan I think it was moving the balls round in a semi circle with his hand and none changing position. I cant understand why they wont put them in a drum which is properly shaken and then pull one out. It  would remove any doubt. They leave themself so open to the accusations with such a ridiculous draw. Should be sorted out.

True TD, in order to remove all doubt and suspicion, it has to be totally human-interaction-free, with balls dropping/popping out a la National Lottery (if you'll excuse the expression), or whatever. Until such times, the GAA will be open (and justifiably so) to accusations of fixing.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

new devil

From what i saw of sligo the day they played new york they didnt look like a team that would go far.. i know they stuffed us but that doesnt say much :P

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: new devil on July 21, 2007, 01:53:10 AM
From what i saw of sligo the day they played new york they didnt look like a team that would go far.. i know they stuffed us but that doesnt say much :P

Means nothing at this stage, they could say the same about us about any game during the NFL, with the exception of the Dublin 2nd half and the Kerry games.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

new devil

Redgreenery

Well the 'other 4' are knowen, so who would Sligo favour to meet? Meath, Cork, Derry or Monaghan.
I'd say mabye because of their last game and been so poor against Louth I'd say Cork is Sligos best bet of progression at this moment in time.

Owenmoresider

Really hard to know, Cork maybe, would prefer not to meet Meath anyway. It might be no harm to get one of the two winners from tonight, if only for the fact that they only have a week to recover. But at this stage any team left will be decent at least. We'll know this time tomorrow anyway.

ziggysego

Well I know Tyrone certainly wouldn't want to meet Sligo.
Testing Accessibility

Owenmoresider

Quote from: ziggysego on July 28, 2007, 09:05:36 PM
Well I know Tyrone certainly wouldn't want to meet Sligo.
Well they won't have to worry about it for the QF's anyway!

Goin Down

I'd say Sligo would have their best chance against Corcaigh, if they play on their performance against Louth aswell. Mabye Monaghan or Derry otherwise.
Remember This.

paddypastit

On Meath, they are good but not that good.  They were put away easily enough by a not hugely impressive (on that day) Dublin in the replay and the pathway from there to here hasn't thrown up any opposition that would frighten so while they are undoubtedly a step up on Meath of recent vintage, they are still a way from being scary good.

Hard to know with Cork - the problem there is that everyone assumes Kerry are good so therefore that Cork were nearly as good going into the Louth game... where they clearly weren't. IMHO, Kerry are not Kerry '06 or anywhere near it and that would be encouraging as a benchmark.  That said they - Cork - are a relatively mature bunch, together a while and with some stand out players that have proven ability.

Derry are quietly gathering steam. Is it sustainable? they have a good spine - actually very good - and a few mercurial forwards. For raw talent, theirs is probably the best of the four squads in discussion here and if they all connect, they could take anyone.  That said, theirs is also probably the one with the most fragile mentality and one gets the impression that if they could be stood up for any length of time, they will start pointing fingers at each other and get beat before they know it.

Monaghan are probably the tightest unit, and the best managed.  They were expected to be beaten by Derry on the basis of weaknesses in their back line but coped comfortably. Were unlucky against Tyrone and coped relatively comfortably again with Donegal. They will feel pretty confident about playing anybody, except perhaps Kerry but that is based on the unknown.  Tyhey are the least of all four to implode and will be as driven as Sligo - given that they can't get Tyrone in the Q/F, if they avoid Kerry, I'd expect them to be in the S/F and are the best outside bet for the final.

For me then Meath please... with Cork drawn against Tyrone as the preffered option for the S/F :P
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Redgreenery

I was hoping Sligo would get Cork as they are capable of beating them right now, Its good that they got them and best of luck to Sligo on the day, would like nothing more than to see ye progress.

Goin Down

Was also thinking Cork would be Sligos best bet, glad they got each other and lads, I reckon Sligo will come out if they perform to their best and if Cork are the same as they were against Louth.
Remember This.