Joe Kernan Resigns

Started by Armagh Exile, July 18, 2007, 07:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

QuoteNo offence Pints but with that sort of backing and support you could be the man to land this job!!!! In fact you may well have the ability to unite North and South Armagh.  Well done.
::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

orangeman

Pints - you seem to be against Joe ok but you probably have your reasons alright - I thought Stephen Kernan wasn't too bad of a forward - he wasn't the worst against Derry - and Joe's record is a good one - the best manager EVER in Armagh ? Do you think he was Armagh's best ever ?

pintsofguinness

QuoteDo you think he was Armagh's best ever ?
Yes

orangeman

Ok - so it's just a case that you think that all managers have a life span and there is a time to go ?
What about my point about Kernan and his decent performance against Derry ?

The whole Kernan thing seems to be a big issue in Armagh - is this because of the whole family thing ?

pintsofguinness

QuoteOk - so it's just a case that you think that all managers have a life span and there is a time to go ?
Yes

QuoteThe whole Kernan thing seems to be a big issue in Armagh - is this because of the whole family thing ?
As far as I'm concerned a lot of my problems with Joe was that he showed a lot of bias either towards or against certain clubs and players, he allowed some personal stuff get in the way of managing the team and putting out the best 15. 
He took a lot of players on to the panel and have never given them a real chance yet his sons have got chance after chance.  Aaron made good use of his chances but Stephen didn't and yet became a championship starter when he can't nail down a starting place with his own club.  It's a pity that Joe did not show the belief and patience with some of the more talented players in the county as he did with his own sons. 

Re stephen kernan - I said it at the time, one decent half of football after all the games he's played in does not justify his selection. 

orangeman

Who do you think he showed bias against  - which clubs and what footballers in particular ?

corn02

Did anyone see the unbelivably stupid letter in the Examiner this week? It said Joe should be allowed to stay on as long as he wanted. 2002 was 5 years ago, it is amazing that some people think that if you win something you are infalliable for life.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: corn02 on July 31, 2007, 07:52:02 PM
Did anyone see the unbelivably stupid letter in the Examiner this week? It said Joe should be allowed to stay on as long as he wanted. 2002 was 5 years ago, it is amazing that some people think that if you win something you are infalliable for life.
It was probably bigpaul.

QuoteWho do you think he showed bias against  - which clubs and what footballers in particular ?
Bias against any of crossmaglen's neighbouring clubs.  Liam O'Hare in cullyhanna, twice the player his club mate Mal Mackin is but never given a real chance while Mackin is constantly messing up, why is that?  Dromintee boys will tell you he doesn't like them or the O'Rourkes, was it last year Martin O'Rourke was constantly taken off despite being one of the better players on the field?  Just a few weeks ago we were talking in the armagh club thread about a player who showed great potential, called up to the panel, broke his leg and was dropped, never to be given another chance.  That's one example, is that the way to build a team?
This years McKenna cup panel was a joke.  I know for a fact there are better players in my own club (I'm not saying they're county players) better than some of those on the panel and they were ignored, why?  We're Joe's neighbouring club?  And if there are better players in my club, I'd be confident there's better in other clubs who are ignored. 

David McKeown

I have to say that I have been a fan of Joe's until this year and unlike Pints I think Stephen Kernan deserved to be in the team for the Derry game, but I have never agreed with Joe's man management.  When you look at how he treated the likes of Nippy Swift, Andrew McCann, Aidan O Rourke and even Shane Smyth it can appear that Joe did indeed have a bias.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

orangeman

But lads - every manager whether they'resuccessful or not stand accused of bring biased - they can only play 15 - there are a lot of people who would say the same thing on other counties - i.e that the manager is biased. Brian Cody Kilkenny manager is constantly being slated for not picking palyers, dropping them etc etc. Big Joe as the same - he could only play 15. Somebody was bound to be unhappy.

Aghdavoyle

Aidan O'Rourke flattened sk during a bout of handbags in the 2005 armagh club final between cross and dromintee. For weeks after the kernan boys were mouthing to everyone that it was the end of o'rourke with armagh. There was a major kick up with players when joe was for leaving him off the county panel and he had to relent. O'Rourke went from a championship starter in 2005 to not playing a single game in 2006, culminating in Grimley and joe rowing along the line against kerry when joe refused to bring o'rourke on despite paul galvin and sean o'sullivan roasting ak and paul duffy.

mackers

TYP, Cross were playing the Ogs in Keady and were in big trouble with a few minutes to go. SK went down injured (cramp I think) and John Mc shouted across to the trainer to "take him off, he's useless anyway".  John Mc was allowed to cool on the bench for a long time after that.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Blueranger

That's the reason John Mac wasn't playing against Fermanagh in the All-Ireland Quarter-Final in 2004 (think it was that game), because he said Stephen was useless. I know Joe and in fairness he shouldn't have let personal feelings interfere with professional duties & in truth that's why Armagh lost that game.

orangeman

Joe would in no way let family influences stand in the way of either Cross or Armagh - that story about John Mc being sent to the bench is a lie.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: orangeman on November 22, 2007, 05:58:28 PM
Joe would in no way let family influences stand in the way of either Cross or Armagh - that story about John Mc being sent to the bench is a lie.
It is not, it's spot on.