Joe Kernan Resigns

Started by Armagh Exile, July 18, 2007, 07:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed 2

and they say nobody listens to the radio! joes short rte radio phone in interview was the final nail in his managerial coffin. the feeling was that he was going to gracefully having already said he was quitting last year the county board were just waiting on his cheerio. when he talked on national airwaves about staying on and young players coming through etc.. enough was enough he was told in no uncertain terms he was going.
  following a series of fallouts that have nothing to do with football joes position was completely unworkable and frankly the county board are glad to see the back of him. you can bet your bottom dollar that a new fianicial structure for funding the county team will be in place following the appointment of the new management.
  as for joes legacy i will remember him as being the manager without a plan B.
btw i retract my statement that nobody on the county board had the balls to put an end to this farce.

Datsun Donaghy

Quotefollowing a series of fallouts that have nothing to do with football joes position was completely unworkable and frankly the county board are glad to see the back of him

Lawnseed - have you paved the way for Paul Grimley to return as Joe's successor?

lawnseed 2

i see where you think im coming from, but you have to wonder how a certain player and winner of a couple of mom awards was left on the bench as we crashed out of the championship. that aside it is well known that as result of a number of side deals that went wrong there is more than a little mistrust in the armagh camp atm. to many men trying to trying to milk the golden cow that a bit of sucess brings. personally i dont have any preferance who manages the armagh team as long as they are competitant and my club doesnt have to pay for it. e.g try rostrevor instead of la manga, use gerry moley instead of two chambers coaches wee things like that.   

Datsun Donaghy

Quotepersonally i dont have any preferance who manages the armagh team as long as they are competitant 

and my club doesnt have to pay for it. e.g try rostrevor instead of la manga, use gerry moley instead of two chambers coaches wee things like that.

Most intercounty managers will be competent to some degree, I'd prefer to use the term successful - Paul Grimley will satisfy both.

With regard to La Manga etc - Armagh set a new benchmark it doing it right off the pitch in order to help get it right on the pitch. I would be disappointed if this were allowed to slip. I would acknowledge that some clubs are better placed financially than others to support this but I think most clubs are happy to contribute if it is seen to bring about success at the highest level. It would be more appreciated though if clubs could decide themselves what constitutes a reasonable contribution.

PatDaly

Armagh's next manager. This would be a great choice if we could somehow manage to get him.

orangeman

I think Big Colm is happy enough where he is - I'd say Meath would be the only job that would have any appeal for him.

Kernan_is_King

The King is gone, long live the King! It is all very good to say that Joe had no plan B, this comment will not look so smart when subsequent managers are trying plan C and D without success. Armagh were always a good match for their opposition in the last 5 years and while you can point to particular issues, these only became important because we were only a point behind, there is no mention of the good decision that ensured that we could match the opposition year in year out.
Big Joe - Big Future!

bigpaul

I would like to thank Joe for all that he has done for Armagh football so far. I hope and believe that his contribution isn't ended.I agree with Brokencrossbar that the time is right for Joe to go and believe that Joe knows this too. I agree with Tony Fearon that Paul Grimley would be the wrong choice as a replacement.
Pintsofguinness, I see that you were waiting on a reply from me to an earlier question on another thread. I haven't been available since. If you think that I was going to sit through six months of your posts!!!!!!! I also note that you chose to ignore Brokencrossbar's post on this thread. A lot of posters on this site have defended  comments they have made by stating that they are on a discussion board and are only discussing a topic, but I find that once a serious attempt is made to debate the issues, some of the most outspoken posters on this site melt away!
In conclusion, I can remember Fr Hegarty springing retirement on 'Big Joe'.At the time most Armagh supporters weren't too concerned. We all found just how much Joe was missed within a couple of years. I don't think that this is the case now, but I hope history does not rear up and kick us in the teeth! 

pintsofguinness

QuotePintsofguinness, I see that you were waiting on a reply from me to an earlier question on another thread. I haven't been available since. If you think that I was going to sit through six months of your posts!!!!!!! I also note that you chose to ignore Brokencrossbar's post on this thread. A lot of posters on this site have defended  comments they have made by stating that they are on a discussion board and are only discussing a topic, but I find that once a serious attempt is made to debate the issues, some of the most outspoken posters on this site melt away!

I think you'll find I answered BC on another thread (Uladh had expressed a view to keep debates off this thread and allow it for tributes to Joe - I agreed). Melt away?  I have never once deliberately walked away from a debate/discussion/row I'm in!  You accused me of that on another thread and when I pointed out to you that it was you that actually walked away you said you'd be back with evidence of your claims against me and now you're saying you won't because you won't look through my posts.  It's very easy to make claims against someone and when asked to back it up you say you're not going to waste your time. 
You and a few others have accused me of having some sort of vendetta against "the kernan family" and never once have any of you showed me anything I said that a large proportion of armagh wouldn't agree with! Back up your allegations or withdraw them!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

orangeman

Will Mc Ivor be offered the job ? Has he already been offered the job ?

bigpaul

I will not be withdrawing anything! I'm not alone in getting the impression that you have an axe to grind and have been totally unfair to the Kernan familly.

corn02

I think Pints views on Stephen have been justified BigPaul, you are not Paul Kernan by any chance.?  :P

orangeman

Mc Ivor doesn't want the Armagh job or any other job for that matter.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: bigpaul on July 30, 2007, 10:37:54 PM
I will not be withdrawing anything! I'm not alone in getting the impression that you have an axe to grind and have been totally unfair to the Kernan familly.
How am I being unfair Paul?
I made a statement that Joe should go - most of armagh agree with me
I made a statement that Stephen should not be on the county team - most of armagh agree with me
You have not been able to show me any other comment I've made to back up your allegations!
I think you're the one with the axe to grind!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

rrhf

No offence Pints but with that sort of backing and support you could be the man to land this job!!!! In fact you may well have the ability to unite North and South Armagh.  Well done.