Started by armaghniac, July 17, 2007, 07:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Gnevin on July 19, 2007, 09:53:45 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2007, 02:13:49 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 18, 2007, 01:21:02 PM
The poor whest, always been ripped of by the big auld dubs  :P
What's "Whest" ???
Anyway 6 or 7 billion on light railways/metros or whatever in Dublin - noproblem seems the dearer the better.
Then when a group presented plans to the Govt about reopening the Western Rail corridor from Sligo to Limerick at a cost of €250 m. the then Minister (Brennan - a herrin choker -shame !!!) nearly laughed in their faces and muttered something about maybe a commuter service into Galway City.
The Whest is the know people from the west say west

Gnevin the only time I ever heard a person from the West pronounce it like that is when they where doing it to slag Dubs (being sarcastic) because in normal day to day the WEST is how we pronounce it. Also the first time I heard MAYO called MAY-YO was by Dubs when I moved to Dublin, I really did not get where they get that from, unless its what they think we are saying when there is 40,000 of us cheering our team in unison to victory over Dublin yet again. Also 90% of us say Galway not Gyall-wey. Dublin peoples West of the Shannon accent is as bizarre and off the mark as American tvs Irish Accent.

his holiness nb

And we dont all say "stoooooory bud" and hang around with Anto  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 19, 2007, 11:47:56 AM

Deco, sorry I mean his holiness I bet your favourate curse word is "geebag"  :D

ludermor

Quote from: Tankie on July 18, 2007, 01:22:23 PM

also maybe the government worked out that nobody wants to live over there, sure even the culchies run out of there once they are 18 and have a degree!

Yep Tankie thats right , we are so smart in the west that when we are 18 we have our degrees. What age were you when you got your degree?

scalder

Lads I must say you boys in the West are some men  to complain – fair play to you atleast you know things must change while down in Wexford we've twiddled our thumbs as our standard of living has plummeted in relation to the rest of the country. We've massive unemployment, huge underinvestment, we're 2 hours from Dublin, home to one of the biggest and closest ports to Europe and yet we've been ignored while industries have been induced to locate in other part of the country. We're being reduced to a commuter county and holiday home destination. The worst part is unlike in the West I don't hear any outcry at home – we just seem to accept the situation.

The reality is I suppose that we can't attract industry to every town in Ireland and that some areas will be better off then others – maybe its better that we only have to go to Dublin rather then New York or London. Big companies look for certain things when setting up and big cities are usually more attractive.

Anyway the point of my post is that lumping the whole East together as one amorphous area is unhelpful and untrue – you've Dublin and the rest of Ireland in my opinion – we should look for a fairer spread but should be cautious about killing the golden goose.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 19, 2007, 12:15:33 PM

I've been known to throw that word out occasionally to impress my guests over afternoon tea  :-X
Ask me holy bollix

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: scalder on July 19, 2007, 12:35:44 PM
Lads I must say you boys in the West are some men  to complain – fair play to you atleast you know things must change while down in Wexford we've twiddled our thumbs as our standard of living has plummeted in relation to the rest of the country.

Ha ha a Cavanman used say that very same thing to me all through college in Galway, just replace Wexford with Cavan.

You see Scalder over here in Connacht/Clare there is an almost Islander (like Ireland seperate from Britian) attitude we almost totally surrounded by waster, the Atlantic, Shannon, Shannon Estury & a cluster of Mountains & Mountain Ranges up at the very top between the start of the Shannon & Donegal Bay. It creates a unique collective Identity (very usefull for collective Moaning  :D  )

scalder

Fishhead – I see parallels with Cavan in terms of our GAA teams – great in the past – still obsessed with the games but living on past glories!

Wexford is/was a very isolated county for the reasons you've mentioned the West is – we've the Wicklow and Blackstairs mountains to the north and west, the river barrow up to the south west and the Atlantic and Irish sea on the south and east coasts – other than by sea we were hugely isolated from the rest of Ireland until the coming of the railways!

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: scalder on July 19, 2007, 05:03:57 PM
Fishhead – I see parallels with Cavan in terms of our GAA teams – great in the past – still obsessed with the games but living on past glories!

Wexford is/was a very isolated county for the reasons you've mentioned the West is – we've the Wicklow and Blackstairs mountains to the north and west, the river barrow up to the south west and the Atlantic and Irish sea on the south and east coasts – other than by sea we were hugely isolated from the rest of Ireland until the coming of the railways!

Scalder Wexford is a County that I like, Cavan another, actually have a Wexford jersey @ home.

lynchbhoy

lol
havent heard that word mentioned or used in a while :D

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 19, 2007, 05:15:42 PM

lol
havent heard that word mentioned or used in a while :D

Ya obviously never played junior club football in Dublin, how often I heard "ya beher wach it ya geebag, a fcks sake its another bleeden culchie"

Tankie

Quote from: ludermor on July 19, 2007, 12:26:17 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 18, 2007, 01:22:23 PM

also maybe the government worked out that nobody wants to live over there, sure even the culchies run out of there once they are 18 and have a degree!

Yep Tankie thats right , we are so smart in the west that when we are 18 we have our degrees. What age were you when you got your degree?

i was waiting for someone to pick up on that, i noticed it once i posted it but wasnt in the mood to fix it. I guess some of you boys are quicker than others ;)
Grand Slam Saturday!

Fishead_Sam

Sorry Tankie sure thats hardly a big deal for us West-of-the-Shannon folk, sure we have or leaving done by 14, we so bloody smart.

Rossfan

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 19, 2007, 01:01:41 PM
[.

You see Scalder over here in Connacht .....we almost totally surrounded by waster,  :D  )

Certainly applies to Roscommon - almost totally surrounded by WASTERS !!! :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Rossfan on July 22, 2007, 04:09:36 PM
Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 19, 2007, 01:01:41 PM
[.

You see Scalder over here in Connacht .....we almost totally surrounded by waster,  :D  )

Certainly applies to Roscommon - almost totally surrounded by WASTERS !!! :D

ALMOST   :)  - Who would they be Longford, Westmeath, Leitrim, Sligo & Galway.   :D