Can Derry challenge the top 2 - Kerry and Tyrone????

Started by southdown, July 15, 2007, 08:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

After yesterdays convincing victory of a highly rated Mayo side, and the victory over Armagh, do Derry represent the biggest challenge to the top 2 teams in the country (Tyrone and Kerry).

Or would the Dubs, Cork or Donegal have somthing to say about that? 

It could also be said that there is a major gap between the top 2 and the rest?

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

ExiledGael

On their day Derry could beat anyone, serious talent in the squad and county.
Seems to be quite a few on here unhappy with management performance, suppose that remains to be seen
I would count them as potential All-Ireland material if they were properly motivated and directed, all the same they were absoluite pish against Monaghan, could have been beat by double figures

ziggysego

Beating a poor Mayo and Armagh team do not make you All-Ireland contenders. I see them getting pass Laois, so we'll who they are drawn against after that.

I've a gut feeling that Derry and Tyrone are destined to meet this year. I had the same feeling about Armagh and Tyrone in 2003...... and we had wait to the final ;)
Testing Accessibility

Bogball XV

Quote from: ziggysego on July 15, 2007, 09:04:13 PM
Beating a poor Mayo and Armagh team do not make you All-Ireland contenders. I see them getting pass Laois, so we'll who they are drawn against after that.

I've a gut feeling that Derry and Tyrone are destined to meet this year. I had the same feeling about Armagh and Tyrone in 2003...... and we had wait to the final ;)
The winners of Derry/Laois play Kerry, the winner of that quarter final play the winners of Cork/Louth and Dublin - So Ziggy, maybe you'll be right, it'll be Derry v Tyrone in the final (should at least mean that the annual rush for tickets isn't too bad, what with Derry playing and all).
Truth is Derry are a long way short of the finished article yet, however the top 2 (if they are the top 2) aren't that far ahead of the rest this season imo.  As someone said, Monaghan should have beaten Derry by 20.
What about the Dubs as being the main challengers? 

anportmorforjfc

Bogball XV

GalwayBayBoy

bailestil

Tough route for Derry, But i suppose on the day, anything is possible again.

But in fairness, the intensity of todays Ulster Final was miles ahead of the Derry Mayo games yesterday.
I've no doubt Derry can overcome Laois, Whether we could match Kerry/Dublin/Tyrone,  i dunno.
We've the players to do it, thats for sure.

Bogball XV

It's Ulster v Connacht and Leinster v Munster in the semi's this year.
Thus the Ulster final losers play the Connacht champs and vice versa, then in the semi's it's set up to be the Ulster Champs v Connacht Champs and the same for the other side of the draw.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 15, 2007, 09:56:37 PM
Thus the Ulster final losers play the Connacht champs and vice versa, then in the semi's it's set up to be the Ulster Champs v Connacht Champs and the same for the other side of the draw.

Do the provincial pairings not kick in until the semi-finals?

People have been on the forum today saying it's an open draw for the quarter finals.

Bogball XV

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 15, 2007, 09:58:42 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on July 15, 2007, 09:56:37 PM

Do the provincial pairings not kick in until the semi-finals?

People have been on the forum today saying it's an open draw for the quarter finals.
I've just seen that - dunno anymore!!  I'm probably wrong, I prefer it if they do a draw as I could never see the point of the old system.

Tyrone Dreamer

Bogball is giving you false inforamtion, tut tut! Its an open draw for the quarters. Would be a Kerry/Dublin and Tyrone/Sligo semi if they all won though. Bit stupid that Tyrone can beat Monaghan today and then may have to play them in the very next match - dont think this should be allowed.

bigpaul

In answer to the ooriginal question - no. But they'll be dead hateful opposition for any team as the competition progresses!

southdown

How would anyone rate them in comparrison with Dublin?