Where,What,How for the GAA in Down?

Started by wobbller, July 14, 2007, 01:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quotethey never approached the clubs for one penny to do it.

What a load of shite...every club in Down is still paying for the Marshes...dont get me wrong Club Down did a fantastic job but the clubs (well most of the them) continue to contribute handsomely to the costs......do your homework before you come out with statements like this...when I say most clubs ....some clubs have refused to contribute and it is a constant bugbear at Co Board meetings why these clubs arent being sanctioned.
The Aristocrat Years

Leo

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 18, 2007, 09:53:52 PM
Quotethey never approached the clubs for one penny to do it.

What a load of shite...every club in Down is still paying for the Marshes...dont get me wrong Club Down did a fantastic job but the clubs (well most of the them) continue to contribute handsomely to the costs......do your homework before you come out with statements like this...when I say most clubs ....some clubs have refused to contribute and it is a constant bugbear at Co Board meetings why these clubs arent being sanctioned.

Sorry 5Sams, what exactly did I say that is "a load of shite". Maybe you should read it again. If you know anything about Park Esler you will know that the costs to which SOME clubs are contributing relate to the debts run up by the county board long before CLlub Down was formed. Club Down was formed at the request of the countychairman of the day because the county could'nt afford to do anything more with the park and Club Down agreed to take on that task provided the county board took repsonsibility for their own debt.
I know from my own club that the county board have never issued a proper statement since then showiung exactly how much the clubs have paid and to what extent that debt has been reduced.That clubs are still saddled with old debt is a disgrace but the clubs dont seem to want to rock the county boad boat about this.
I read the Club Down statement of aims and it makes it clear that they volunteered to take on the job of finishing the park and again I know that they raised huge money for this without seeking any from the clubs. Credit wher it is due pal - they delivered on what they promised and more than that gave us a county ground to be proud of.
My point that this is not properly appreciated in the county is well demonstrated by your own misdirected abuse.
If we are ever going progress beyond reflecting on our "5 sams" we need a few better informed people to start with.
Fierce tame altogether

5 Sams

Sorry Leo....you have obviously misunderstood what I have said.....whether it be "pre", "post" or "during" the sterling efforts made by Club Down....the fact is that the clubs in Down are still being levied a substantial annual payment to pay for work done to the Marshes.....I was at the initial meeting when the clubs were informed (not asked) that they would have to foot the bill...so I stand by what I said....."they never approached the clubs for one penny to do it" = a load of shite.

Oh and by the way when you say

QuoteIf we are ever going progress beyond reflecting on our "5 sams" we need a few better informed people to start with.

Couldnt agree more....theres more people than Club Down financing the work going on in the county......the large majority of clubs in Down can take credit for helping with the development of the Marshes.
The Aristocrat Years

Leo

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 19, 2007, 01:57:07 PM
Sorry Leo....you have obviously misunderstood what I have said........so I stand by what I said....."they never approached the clubs for one penny to do it" = a load of shite.

My point was that Club Down never approached the clubs for one penny - that cannot be denied and is not a lod of shite. I happen to agree with the disgrace of the situatuion that the clubs have allowed to be foisted upon them of a debt that doesn't seem to have been reduced to any extent afetr all these years. It's up to the clubs to challenge this situation.The initail work that was done at Park Esler was clearly not properly budgeted for and the clubs are carrying the can for that. The Club Down notes in one of the recent match programmes I read acknowledged the contribution of the clubs  as well as the contribution of all others involved inth project.
The substantail annual levies you talk about - has anybody totted them up and looked at what impact they have made on the debt? Does anyone know what the debt is? Have the clubs had the full picture on this?
Club Down only came into exsitence long after the problem arose and at least seem to have budgeted properly for what has been done since.
Now that Newcastle is to be sold will the clubs THIS TIME make sure that similar control will be exercised over those funds?
Fierce tame altogether

Cloc Mor

I don't know what you are trying to make out but we really do have problems.  While the Marshes is a wonderful achievement and credit to the CLUBS of Down and others benefactors for financing it I believe we should have had other priorities.

Give me the choice of a great ground or an Ulster title, with minors coming behind to back this up, and I know which one I would choose.  Club Down should have been given the remit of developing footballers, not a football pitch.  As much as it is wonderful, great, magnificent and all that crap - I'd rather have a Down team capable of competing for Ulster titles, not just making up the numbers; a Down Minor team with a proper management (not the clowns who have been re-appointed for yet another year and previously won an All - Ireland because of the work done in schools) and a proper development structures beginning in Primary Schools and taking this all the way through to Minor level.

The Bryansford money might now provide what Club Down should have been providing.  We might actually catch up with the rest of Ulster now.

Leo

That's not what Club Down were asked to do. They were given a remit and did it  - so it beats me why there is such negativity towards them in a county with failure written all over it in so many other areas.
The Bryansford money might not come good for a number of years if at all as there are so many ifs and buts. The county should now focus onon its priority needs and get the help of Club Down in financing it. To that extent I agree with you but dont blame Club Down for not doing something they werent asked to do.
Fierce tame altogether

Pangurban

Finance is only a tiny part of the equation, you cant buy All Irelands or even Ulsters. We need our current crop of Co.players to take a long hard look at themselves, ask if they have the desire motivation and commitment,to make the required sacrifices to attain any level of success,and the backbone and ruthlessness to go for it. The management team also need to ask the same questions of themselves. If an honest commitment is forthcoming from players and management, then everything else, organisation finace etc. will fall into place.

wobbller

Quote from: Pangurban on August 20, 2007, 02:34:49 AM
Finance is only a tiny part of the equation, you cant buy All Irelands or even Ulsters. We need our current crop of Co.players to take a long hard look at themselves, ask if they have the desire motivation and commitment,to make the required sacrifices to attain any level of success,and the backbone and ruthlessness to go for it. The management team also need to ask the same questions of themselves. If an honest commitment is forthcoming from players and management, then everything else, organisation finace etc. will fall into place.
Your last piece is interesting. Are you saying if Down started winning on the field everything would be rosy in the garden? Down winning matches at any level is not going to increase the brain cell count of our present County Board nor is it going to get rid of them so please explain?

Pangurban

Quote from Wobbler...Down winning matches at any level is not going to increase the brain cell count of our present County Board nor is it going to get rid of them so please explain?.
Wobbler Them as you term our current Co.Board, are people who were democratically elected by the delegates from the clubs within the Co. If they fail in their duties then they can just as easily democratically disposed off. My contention,based on experience is that a successful Co.team, has a galvanising effect within the Co., producing more enthusiasm and initative at all levels, including the Co. Board. There is always a trickle down effect which benefits the clubs. Sponsorship is more easily attained at all levels due to the raised profile of our games within the Co.and beyond. A winning Co.team inducing a mood of confidence within the Co. to the extent that what formerly appeared as insurmountable problems become mere issues to be resolved.

downgael

Quote from: wobbller on August 22, 2007, 10:30:09 AM
The musical chairs will continue whether we are winning or losing but the term " fail to prepare,prepare to fail" apllies to administrators as well as players so the windfall we hope/need to receive would be better in capable hands as opposed to the musical chair brigade that is doing the rounds in the "powers that be " in our County.Time will tell but we need new blood to the top table and its associated committees.

When the possibility of Newcastle being sold came up the County Board employed Peter Quinn – ex GAA President to act on their behalf – he was the one that made the presentation to the clubs last week – he is the one dealing with any interested parties.

I think employing Peter Quinn was a very good move and the county board should be given credit for this and one I feel will pay off – we could not ask for the windfall to be in any better capable hands, than in the hands of the man that redeveloped Croke Park

orangeman

spiritof91and94

Peter Quinn didnt address Bryansford Gaels last week and he was brought into the table by Bryansford not the County Board who are now looking credit for getting him involved.
Eugene Grant QC got Quinn in when it was realised that the County Board were holding talks behing Bryansford's back with prospective buyers.
Quinn has been a mediator in all dealings.

lynchbhoy

yez deserve all the bad luck yez get - after all your current county teams plight is part of the curse brought upon yourselves for voting with the uneducated in the rule 21 disaster !
;)

wobbller

lynchbhoy

Quote from: wobbller on August 22, 2007, 02:25:24 PM
and L'derry.
while I was only joking
you kind of emphasise my point here  :(