Football on telly

Started by Bomber2312, July 11, 2007, 03:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomber2312

Can anyone shed any light why no football qualifiers are being shown on television? this summer seem like there has seen the least number of games shown.

SuperDooperCooper

IMO showing the non event between Cork v Tipp was a stupid decision by RTE, up there with the Flynn deal. They should be showing the Derry Mayo game where the loser goes home. The hurling qualifiers have all been shite so far anyway - Cork Dublin was always a mismatch, Galway v Clare was tight but shite. In future if there is a choice between a round robin game and a loser goes home game, pick the knock out match. Christ Tipp are even talking about resting Eoin Kelly.

Louth Exile

This Saturday we play our sixth championship game this summer, not one of them has been televised or been even close to being televised. Setanta has been a god send because at least with them most of the games have been shown again during the week.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

DUBSFORSAM1

They are doing their best to promote hurling which is understandable....
Eoin Kelly is injured with a groin strain and came off after 25 mins against Dublin....

Bearing in mind the winner of the match plays Wexford and the loser plays Waterford then its not a non-event....

SuperDooperCooper

Which dressing room will feel more pain on Saturday - the losers of Tipp-Cork or the losers of Derry-Mayo.
RTE should be showing knock out matches. If Tipp were knocked out if they lost would Eoin Kelly be rested?
Nothing against Cork-Tipp but I would prefere to watch Derry-Mayo.

Jinxy

This ridiculous idea that a bad game of hurling is still better than a good game of football needs to be addressed. I'm tired of watching uncompetitive games of hurling. Get back to me when it reaches the knockout stage.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bomber2312

I know its abit late and also probably a useles idea, but could we have an online petition or something? Probably not enough people care.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Louth Exile on July 11, 2007, 04:09:48 PM
This Saturday we play our sixth championship game this summer, not one of them has been televised or been even close to being televised. Setanta has been a god send because at least with them most of the games have been shown again during the week.

You're dead right Louth Exile. When Louth and Wicklow played their second replay RTÉ chose to show Waterford getting pished on by Kerry. Terrible, terrible decision.

blast05

QuoteProbably not enough people care.

Wrong on that count i'd say.

As i posted on another thread:

Both Cork and Tipp have been shown live 3 times each on TV this summer already.
Mayo and Derry have managed 1 appearance between them in the championship.
Tipp v Cork is a nothing match as has been well highlighted. Sure Cork probably wouldn't mind another crack at Waterford anyway.
Mayo (last years losing finalsits) v Derry (who have just beaten the ~joint 2nd favourites) is way more significant match.
This will be the 3rd Saturday in a row showing hurling qualifiers. Why no football ?
The Mayo Derry match is at 3.30pm. Why not have a double header of games on TV ?
Could BBC not get the finger out for this game even ?

johnpower

What bullshit from RTE Tipp have so many injuries they will only be interested in getting ready for waterford , Last Saturday nites game was a disaster

didlyi

The viewing figures this year have shown that the Hurling is more popular. Even the replay between Dublin & Meath failed to attract more viewers than the hurling match at the same time. These are the figures that decide what they will show and not what is posted on this board. Tipp v Cork will attract a huge audience regardless of how many times they played this year. If Kerry, Tyrone or Dublin were playing they would be screened too ie: contenders. Clare v Galway was a dissapointment but was still a high profile game and would usually justify its screening.

blast05

QuoteThe viewing figures this year have shown that the Hurling is more popular. Even the replay between Dublin & Meath failed to attract more viewers than the hurling match at the same time. These are the figures that decide what they will show and not what is posted on this board. Tipp v Cork will attract a huge audience regardless of how many times they played this year. If Kerry, Tyrone or Dublin were playing they would be screened too ie: contenders. Clare v Galway was a disapointment but was still a high profile game and would usually justify its screening.

Fair enough - although should your comment re hurling being more popular not be Munster hurling is more popular. But this is not the Munster championship and this is not knockout. Its a glorified challenge match

TacadoirArdMhacha

RTÉ have the same choice this past 2 weeks - a. show a hurling match between 2 All Ireland contenders neither of whom are likely to eliminated should they lose or b. show a football match between 2 sides, only 1 (at best) of whom would be All Ireland contenders but who will be both be playing for their championship lives.

Both weeks they've gone for a. I think they probably should have gone for a. one week and then b. the next although I have to say that if a hurling match must be shown this weekend, I'd prefer to see Galway v Antrim which is at least a genuine knock-out game.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

orangeman

Mayo and Derry would have been a good one to show on Saturday afternoon !

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....