Super Dubs once again Biggest Crowd pullers

Started by Tankie, July 09, 2007, 07:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Gnevin on July 10, 2007, 10:15:20 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 10, 2007, 10:10:55 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 10, 2007, 09:58:32 AM

A Dublin City FC wouldn't get 50,000 as soccer is boring as shit and the thrill would wear off after a few years

The Porterhouse Bar in Phibsboro - a fifteen minute walk from Croke Park itself - was showing Premiership soccer on the bar's main screen and the All-Ireland final in a back room on All-Ireland Football Final day. Every time I've gone to Fagan's in Drumcondra for the Sunday feed I see Premiership soccer on the big screen and GAA on the portable telly above the door, if you're lucky. I think they'd find their gates for their soccer alright.
Every time ! Even in June,July and early August. They must be mad into soccer, what league are they watching ?

I don't go into Fagan's during the summer - the carvery is a bit heavy for the good weather, don't you think? But in September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April and May it's soccer, soccer, soccer in there. And if they can't show Premiership they'll show Championship, Burnley v Crystal Palace or something equally wretched, before they'll put on TG4 and the GAA.

Fishead_Sam

Story true, but not relevant to the argument. Just popped into the head, I have just turned of that station because well I think the crap from it is clouding my judgement @ the moment, its causing the red mist to rise on front of my eyes.

The point I really mean to get across is that Dublin have good fans, but no better than anyone else, many counties have fans who followed in massive numbers for decades without Sam's or some without Provincials.

What really gets people from other counties up in anger is often when National (not local) Media acts as if Dublin is a national team, and the rest of us are Johnny Foreigner.
Also a lot of Dublin fans you meet seem to believe the Media hype & keep telling you about it as if it is the truth.

tayto

Jesus wept do yez never get tired of this bloody argument and counter argument!  ::)

If we could somehow hook it up to the national grid we'd have free electricity for all.

Gnevin

Quote from: tayto on July 10, 2007, 10:54:22 AM
Jesus wept
Did he really? I mean if he didn't cry when he was born, why would he cry later in life/death.  ;)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hound

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 10, 2007, 10:54:17 AM
What really gets people from other counties up in anger is often when National (not local) Media acts as if Dublin is a national team, and the rest of us are Johnny Foreigner.
Yes, please post up all these articles from the Times, Independent and Examiner.

Oh,,,, you can't find any.......

Well then stop making up shyte, and go back to listening to the great GAA coverage on 98fm  ::)

EDIT: Just realised that Fishead probably thinks the Sun, Star and Hearld is the national media. That would account for the stuff he puts in his posts alright.

Tankie

Story true, but not relevant to the argument. Just popped into the head, I have just turned of that station because well I think the crap from it is clouding my judgement @ the moment, its causing the red mist to rise on front of my eyes.

The point I really mean to get across is that Dublin have good fans, but no better than anyone else, many counties have fans who followed in massive numbers for decades without Sam's or some without Provincials.

Also a lot of Dublin fans you meet seem to believe the Media hype & keep telling you about it as if it is the truth.

Jesus Fishead, I was in some sports pub when we played mayo in the league game in castlebar and there were three lads wearing Celtic jerseys!!! and to make thing worse the were watching division two soccer or something!

Like what type of a county is Mayo, soccer MAD i guess ::) 

Grand Slam Saturday!

magpie seanie

Both sides seem to have valid arguments here. However there is a quare amount of rubbish being spouted too. It is great that the ground is getting filled so often and this does provide the Leinster council with badly needed funds to grant to clubs etc. However, its not a hand out and the clubs will have to match the funding in some way and work bloody hard to use the funds wisely. And I'm sure a good proportion of money goes to hard working Dublin GAA clubs as well as ones outside Dublin.

I have no time for bandwagon fans of any county. Dublin have a bad name for this but its only because they've decent support to start with. However, all counties get it in roughly the same proportion. Some of the crap going on about Sligo at the moment is embarrassing.

And we will never solve the Dubs v. Culchies argument.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Hound on July 10, 2007, 11:19:01 AM
Yes, please post up all these articles from the Times, Independent and Examiner.

Oh,,,, you can't find any.......

Well then stop making up shyte, and go back to listening to the great GAA coverage on 98fm  ::)

EDIT: Just realised that Fishead probably thinks the Sun, Star and Hearld is the national media. That would account for the stuff he puts in his posts alright.

Well done Hound, I read the Times, Independent and Examiner, but when I lived in Dublin for years the likes of Sun, Star and Hearld seemd to be all the natives read, have to admit I used keep slagging them on reading gutter-rags rather than Newspapers, can be a little arrogant @ times.

Now from the proper media RTE is very bad at falling into the trap of Dublin being the only team. An example of which is go get the full Mayo V Dublin match last year in the Semi. It you listen to the commentry before and look how the camera only focuses on the Dublin fans, its sickening, I was there and it was about 60-40 in Support in Dublins favour, but if you watch the dvd of Dublins coverage you would think that there was about 5 Mayo people, lucky enough those 5 people sounded like they could shout like 35,000  ;)

People should really be having a go @ the Media rather than the Dubs, but then you hear some of their fans repeating the rubbish and its hard to seperate both. Val Daly wrecks my head.

Declan

QuoteAnd we will never solve the Dubs v. Culchies argument.

True for you Seanie

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 10, 2007, 11:41:41 AM

Yes – but it's great fun.  ;)

Well done Sligo!
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 10, 2007, 12:07:32 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 10, 2007, 11:41:41 AM

Yes – but it's great fun.  ;)

Well done Sligo!

True The Hill is Blue (except when its Green & Red)  ;)

Best of luck to Dublin & Laois at the weekend, little secret you have to be from Kiltimagh to be a real Culchie, the rest of us are just mere boggers  :D

Boozehell

The only reason Dublin gets so many supporters is because of the many pubs around.  Where else could you go to a match spend 3 hours in a pub, turn up for a match at 5.00 and still walk in to see the throw in? 

The sooner the Dublin fans start missing games by getting locked out of the ground after a certain time the better as it would teach them a lesson that the GAA does not revolve around them.
Down GAA to the last.

INDIANA

You joined just to post that? what a loser.

Boozehell

Well then can you explain why is it every Dublin match is held up for at least 15 or 20 minutes every time there is a game at Croke Park.  Why can't they just turn up on time?
Down GAA to the last.

SuperSub

Quote from: INDIANA on July 10, 2007, 10:35:05 AM
Playing the same record time and time again gets pedantic mate- with the amount of culchies i saw doing random drugs  at the oxygen festival last weekend- Ireland's drug problem is universal at this stage.
As for the comment about population-every county is full of bandwagon supporters just that countryfolk claim a holier than thou attitude because they come from a rural parish that you can't be a "real "Gaa fan unless you're a bogger. So they don't watch the Premiership in bogland- they won't watch the munster rugby team etc do us a favour. There are more players on the Irish soccer team from rural districts than from Dublin so play another record.

Quote from: INDIANA on July 10, 2007, 03:00:50 PM
You joined just to post that? what a loser.

God you have some serious issues Indy,Your a very bitter person you should seek help from someone.
And FFS I don't post here too often but every time i do you have a story about the time you were abused by Laois fans 3 or 4 years ago change the bloody record

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 10, 2007, 10:43:03 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 10, 2007, 08:29:58 AM

Your just a tool INDIANA ::) How many times now have i heard your story about your experience with Laois fans as if i gave a f**k.I have said on numerous occasions every county has their fair share of bad eggs not least Laois,Just seems most posters can take a bit of banter not you though it seems
As for your comment about Laois fans being real angry gits......Eh ever hear the story about the pot calling the kettle black?

Don't agree, sounds like your making excuses for counties which do have a problem with some of their fans!
I have yet to hear a bad story involving a Donegal fan in my 20 odd years of going to inter-county matches, also would include Fermanagh fans and Monaghan and Antrim fans in that statement.

So Donegal have no bad element to them at all,Your all angels up there are you..Give me a break FFS every county has a minority who cause hassle at games