Declan Browne retires

Started by Jinxy, July 09, 2007, 06:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

from intercounty football. Only just turned 29. Savage player. A word of advice though Declan, if you see Mick O'Dwyers merc pulling into the driveway, lock all your doors and windows and hide in the hot press!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bcarrier

A truly great player - one of very best I have seen. Not recognised or credited widely enough . Brought moyle rovers to brink of munster club and rattled kingdom on more than one occassion.

johnpower

One of the greats , Showed great loyalty to his club and County

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Jinxy on July 09, 2007, 06:55:13 PM
from intercounty football. Only just turned 29. Savage player. A word of advice though Declan, if you see Mick O'Dwyers merc pulling into the driveway, lock all your doors and windows and hide in the hot press!

Micko tried on many a occasion to get Browne when he was Laois manager,I think Brown is married to a Laois girl and Micko got wind of it,God knows we could have done with him!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

5 Sams

I think a measure of Deccie Browne's ability is the fact that the Aussies deliberately targetted him in a friendly a few years ago so he wouldn't be able to play in the compromise rules series...one of the best I have ever seen.
The Aristocrat Years

orangeman

Fair play to Declan Browne for staying with Tipp - he could have done the simple thing and gone and lived in Dublin and played with them and got a big job etc etc -

Mentalman

Class act, two all stars is an testament to his ability, especially while playing for a Tipp football side which wasn't exactly pulling up trees. Hope we'll see him back some time in the not too distant future.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: orangeman on July 10, 2007, 10:24:02 AM
Fair play to Declan Browne for staying with Tipp - he could have done the simple thing and gone and lived in Dublin and played with them and got a big job etc etc -

As was seen when the Gallaghers came to Dublin and weren't picked we don't poach players from other counties!!!

EugeneGeraghty

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 10, 2007, 10:50:50 AM

As was seen when the Gallaghers came to Dublin and weren't picked we don't poach players from other counties!!!

In fairness ye tried to get him but failed some how

the Deel Rover

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 10, 2007, 10:50:50 AM

no but your club sides do, i know a player who was offered big money to join a club in Dublin
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

magpie seanie

A wonderful player and an absolute legend in my eyes. Simply astounding how good he was. It was great to see him going up to collect the Tommy Murphy Cup when they won it. A true great.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Best to Declan, as good an example that exists for the retention of the Provincial Cups (and appropriate international competitions).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Onlooker

Declan Browne was idolised by all Tipperary football supporters.  He was a player of exceptional skill, great sportsmanship and exemplary loyalty to club and county.   I can not recall any player who was admired so much by football followers in every county in the land.   I'll always remember the great reception he got from the thousands of Tyrone and Armagh supporters in Croke Park, when he went up the steps of the Hogan Stand to receive the Tommy Murphy Cup as captain of the Tipperary team.  Declan made us all proud to be Tipperary football supporters and it is nice to read the threads from people like Magpie Seanie, Mentalman and 5 Sams.   

longball

Great great player think put the money on his club for a munster club now!
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

thebandit

A legend who stayed true to his own, is it right that he was a fairly good hurler as well?