Potential New Armagh Managers (with a bit of luck we'll need one)

Started by topgun, July 09, 2007, 06:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

BC
QuoteBTW POG I am not having a dig at you individually, I just feel you have an axe to grind over the whole Stephen issue and I feel sometimes you go too far.  Yes, I have  my loyalties but I can see that Joe has done more good for Armagh than bad and many of the issues that he has received blame for are not necessarily his fault.  For instance, up to this year has Stephen had any sustained period of championship play for Armagh?  I don't know how much game time he has had but it would not be that much.
Like most in the county BC I don't understand why Stephen has been given so many chances and was on a championship team when he's struggling to make his own club team.  What does it matter how much championship time he's had?  Several players Joe has brought onto the panel can only dream of being given a decent chance in the league and you're talking about Stephen's championship time when he's played in several (if not most) league games and has never impressed.  What's the reason for his inclusion bc other than the fact that Joe is putting his son before the county? 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Armagh Exile

QuoteSeveral players Joe has brought onto the panel can only dream of being given a decent chance in the league and you're talking about Stephen's championship time when he's played in several (if not most) league games and has never impressed.  What's the reason for his inclusion bc other than the fact that Joe is putting his son before the county? 

Pints,
How many league games did Stephen Kernan play in?  I cannot recollect even one.  Perhaps you could state the games you allege he has played in.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuotePints,
How many league games did Stephen Kernan play in?  I cannot recollect even one.  Perhaps you could state the games you allege he has played in

He definately played quite a few league games in 2006. Got much more of a chance than, for example Liam O'Hare who was also on the panel and is a much more talented footballer. During the 2007 NFL, Stephen Kernan was on the Cross panel. Did he play against Westmeath?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Armagh Exile on July 21, 2007, 07:37:19 PM
QuoteSeveral players Joe has brought onto the panel can only dream of being given a decent chance in the league and you're talking about Stephen's championship time when he's played in several (if not most) league games and has never impressed.  What's the reason for his inclusion bc other than the fact that Joe is putting his son before the county? 

Pints,
How many league games did Stephen Kernan play in?  I cannot recollect even one.  Perhaps you could state the games you allege he has played in.

He played in several of the league games of 2006.  It was a subject of discussion on this board at the time. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rufus T Firefly

I think it is clear that the position will probably come down to four men, i.e. Paul Grimley, Peter McDonnell, Peter Rafferty and John Rafferty. I have put them in the order of my own preferences.

I would have to say as regards Paul Grimley that he is quite simply the best manager that I ever had. I think I have mentioned it elsewhere, but the man is intelligent, innovative, shrewd, ruthless, a great man manager and motivator and someone who can and will call a spade a spade. From what I can gather, he also has a lot of loyalty in the dressing room.

Peter McDonnell is also someone with a great reputation, and anyone that I have spoken to who has been managed by him has nothing but the highest praise. Peter Rafferty, I have been told via Grange sources, is not interested. John Rafferty to my mind is too inexperienced, is a peer of some of the older players, and I would guess (as mentioned somewhere else) would not have the respect of the dressing room.

My own dream team would be Big Paul with Geezer in some role as second in command, as I believe his drive and discipline would be essential to keeping the highest possible standards of application amongst what is a relatively young squad. I would have absolutely no objection though to Peter McDonnell being in there along with those two.

My fear though would be John Rafferty getting the job, on the basis that he was brought in last year as some sort of apprentice. John was a great servant to the County, and could yet be a future manager. I don't think though that the time is now!

orangeman

You can't manage and play ! The two don't go together - so no to Mc Geeney as player / coach / manager / selector -

Uladh

SK played in all 3 national league games which followed the all ireland club final this year. he also featured (mostly through starting) in all seven league games in 2006.

Orior

My management dream team would be:
- Bennydorano (for tactics)
- Uladh (for disicpline)
- Stew (for fitness)
- Pintofguinness (for diet)
- Brokencrossbar (for maximising players rights)
- Orior (for entertainng the WAGs)
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

SouthArmaghBandit

Holy f**k!

McAlinden linked with Armagh return
27 July 2007

Brian McAlinden has refused to rule himself out of the running for a return to the Armagh managerial hot-seat.

McAlinden and Brian Canavan led the Orchard County to back-to-back Ulster SFC title wins in 1999 and 2000 before handing over the reins to Joe Kernan at the end of 2001. The "Two Brians" are credited with laying the foundations for Armagh's subsequent success, but McAlinden would have a battle on his hands to return as manager with former selectors Paul Grimley and John Rafferty believed to be the two frontrunners for the post.

When asked if he'd be interested in returning, McAlinden simply said: "Never say never."

He added: "I said I would never manage anyone other than my own club or county. There are lot of big names in for it."

bennydorano

McAlinden aside, nothing's going to happen without the inclusion of McGeeney somewhere by the looks of it.  Any player/ex-player having too much clout cannot be a good thing.

Dutch

Uladh

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on July 27, 2007, 04:00:30 PM
Holy f**k!

McAlinden linked with Armagh return
27 July 2007

Brian McAlinden has refused to rule himself out of the running for a return to the Armagh managerial hot-seat.

McAlinden and Brian Canavan led the Orchard County to back-to-back Ulster SFC title wins in 1999 and 2000 before handing over the reins to Joe Kernan at the end of 2001. The "Two Brians" are credited with laying the foundations for Armagh's subsequent success, but McAlinden would have a battle on his hands to return as manager with former selectors Paul Grimley and John Rafferty believed to be the two frontrunners for the post.

When asked if he'd be interested in returning, McAlinden simply said: "Never say never."

He added: "I said I would never manage anyone other than my own club or county. There are lot of big names in for it."

you heard it here first....

Quote from: Uladh on July 20, 2007, 01:11:19 PM
Sit down before you read this....

Three seperate, well connecte people have told me this very day that the county board are keen to have McAlinden back involved in some capacity

orangeman

What's wrong with Brian Mc Alinden ? I think he's a grand fella - don't know much about his managerial ability all the same. But I think he will be up against it to get back in again.

Orior

Agreed. The two Brians got Armagh to 2 semi-finals, in the days before the back-door system. They would have got further except they didnt get the lucky breaks that Joe got.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

I can't see a big player from outside the county being involved, but Jack O'Connor would be interesting!

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B