Football Championship - 12 left, Kerry's to lose?

Started by Barney, July 09, 2007, 12:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Hound on July 10, 2007, 09:26:54 AM
If we pretend that Laois beat Dublin and Meath beat Fermanagh, you could get Dublin v Meath again in Round 3.

What would be wrong with that? I always thought the artificial machinations to keep teams that had met already apart in the qualifiers draw was a farce and all it achieved was having to look at five more minutes of Marty Morrissey than anyone needs. I don't understand the phobia about teams meeting again. It would add a bit of spice as far as I'm concerned.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hardy on July 11, 2007, 11:35:13 AM
Quote from: Hound on July 10, 2007, 09:26:54 AM
If we pretend that Laois beat Dublin and Meath beat Fermanagh, you could get Dublin v Meath again in Round 3.

What would be wrong with that? I always thought the artificial machinations to keep teams that had met already apart in the qualifiers draw was a farce and all it achieved was having to look at five more minutes of Marty Morrissey than anyone needs. I don't understand the phobia about teams meeting again. It would add a bit of spice as far as I'm concerned.

I too have no problems with it this year...  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

blast05

Are the third round qualifiers a home fixture for the first team out of the bowl or are they now neutral venues from here on?
Presuming the former then if Dublin were to lose tomorrow and were drawn against Meath or Louth with home venue going to Meath or Louth, would they still get to keep their home venue.

I know, i know, nerdy question. Just trying to keep my mind off events in Celtic Park today  :-[  :'( :'(  :(  >:(

Rossfan

Blast  - I believe they are neutral venues. The cynic in me thinks that was decided in case Dublin were involved or attractive pairings could give a Croker double header. ::)
Not that it matters to me and the rest of us Ros people or our nnice neighbours to the West.
Maybe ye'd take Maughan back now ?? ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Quote from: blast05 on July 14, 2007, 10:13:55 PM
Are the third round qualifiers a home fixture for the first team out of the bowl or are they now neutral venues from here on?
Presuming the former then if Dublin were to lose tomorrow and were drawn against Meath or Louth with home venue going to Meath or Louth, would they still get to keep their home venue.

I know, i know, nerdy question. Just trying to keep my mind off events in Celtic Park today  :-[  :'( :'(  :(  >:(
Dublin have a far better record outside of Croker than in it. No problem playing away or neutral so long as its a decent sized stadium. Derry in Clones? - we'd no fear the last time we played them up North 3 or 4 years ago.

In any event the draw will be made from two different pots (qualifiers in one pot, losing finalists in the other), so it would be ridiculous to suggest first out should get home venue. The games will be in neutral venues or in Croker. Anyone who would fear bringing their team to Croker to play Dublin wouldnt know a whole heap. Apart from winning medals, I'd imagine beating the Dubs in Croker is one of the more enjoyable culchie GAA pastimes  ;)

The Real Laoislad

QuoteApart from winning medals, I'd imagine beating the Dubs in Croker is one of the more enjoyable culchie GAA pastimes 

You couldn't be more right :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

blast05

QuoteIn any event anyone, it is a stupid question as the draw will be made from two different pots (qualifiers in one pot, losing finalists in the other), so it would be ridiculous to suggest first out should get home venue.

OK, nerdy and stupid  :-[  Time to go to bed and start having Celtic Park nightmares

The Real Laoislad

Only 12 left now here's the odds as per www.paddypower.ie

All Quoted
Kerry  7 - 4      Donegal  12 - 1    Sligo  40 - 1   
Tyrone  5 - 2   Galway  16 - 1     Laois  40 - 1   
Dublin  4 - 1     Derry  18 - 1       Monaghan  40 - 1   
Cork  7 - 1       Meath  20 - 1      Louth  80 - 1   

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hound

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 16, 2007, 12:19:30 AM
Only 12 left now here's the odds as per www.paddypower.ie

All Quoted
Kerry  7 - 4      Donegal  12 - 1    Sligo  40 - 1   
Tyrone  5 - 2   Galway  16 - 1     Laois  40 - 1   
Dublin  4 - 1     Derry  18 - 1       Monaghan  40 - 1   
Cork  7 - 1       Meath  20 - 1      Louth  80 - 1   
I think the first 4 are probably right, after that its a bit of  minefield.

PP obviously think Sligo's result was a total fluke! And very interesting that they rate Derry and Meath signifcantly better than Monaghan and Laois.

Star Spangler

Would I be right in saying that if all goes to form, Dublin would have to beat Kerry in the semi and Tyrone in the final to win the All Ireland?

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Rossfan on July 14, 2007, 10:23:28 PM
Blast  - I believe they are neutral venues. The cynic in me thinks that was decided in case Dublin were involved or attractive pairings could give a Croker double header. ::)
Not that it matters to me and the rest of us Ros people or our nnice neighbours to the West.
Maybe ye'd take Maughan back now ?? ;D

Whens the draw for the Connaught Championship '08  ;D

Maguire01

Yes, i have no idea why Derry and Meath are rated so much higher than Monaghan and Laois.

Monaghan beat Derry who have since got past relatively poor Armagh and Mayo teams.
Meath had a handy enough run with Down and Fermanagh.

So why the big difference in odds?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 16, 2007, 12:29:46 PM
Would I be right in saying that if all goes to form, Dublin would have to beat Kerry in the semi and Tyrone in the final to win the All Ireland?

Yep.

Star Spangler

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 16, 2007, 12:36:55 PM
Quote from: Star Spangler on July 16, 2007, 12:29:46 PM

Yep.

At 4 -1 I'd keep my money in my pocket so!  :P

The Real Laoislad

Not a chance Dublin would beat Tyrone and Kerry....
As for he odds..Im not surprised Laois are 40/1 we don't really have much of a hope.
You'll Never Walk Alone.