Football Championship - 12 left, Kerry's to lose?

Started by Barney, July 09, 2007, 12:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmyot501

It use to be an open draw for the quarters but I think after the Tyrone v Armagh they reverted to provinces playing each other so we wouldn't have another all-ulster final. Under the old system (pre-back door) the ulster champs would be meeting connaught winners this year with Leinster playing Munster.
On that basis the runners up of ulster (monaghan) will now play the connaught champs (Sligo) if they win their back door game. If they lose obviously Donegal then take their place
Likewise Galway being the connaught runners up will have to play the ulster champs (Tyrone) if they get past Meath.
Cork will play the leinster champs (Dublin) if they beat louth and Laoise as leinster runners-up will play munster champions Kerry if they beat Derry.

Last year it was the same only it was based on Ulster v Munster and Leinster v Connaught.  So eventually Kerry as munster runners up (and then beating Longford in the qualifiers) played Armagh (Ulster winners)
Donegal as ulster runners-up (and beating Fermanagh in the back door) eventually lost to Cork (Munster champs) in the quarters. 
Mayo won connaught and played Laoise in the quarters but in this case Laoise beat the leinster runners up (Offaly) in the qualifiers an so took their place in the quarters
Finally Dublin as leinster champions had to play the connaught runners up (Galway) but westmeath threw a spanner in and beat Galway and hence played the Dubs and got a bit of a trimmin.

So thats it explained - capiche!!

Hardy

DUBSFORSAM1

Timmy

Its an open draw on the 29th of July for the quarter finals.....

A - Dublin v's "a qualifier"
B - Kerry v's "a qualifier"
C - Sligo v's "a qualifier"
D - Tyrone v's "a qualifier"

The only restriction is you can't play the team you beat in the provincial final - but you can play a team you beat earlier...

Semi-finals
A v's B
C v's D

timmyot501

DUBSFORSAM1

I'll not say your wrong but I still think I'm right - we'll agree to disagree

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

armaghniac

The semi-finals have always been on a province rotation basis, that hasn't changed. What did change was how the teams arriving at these semi finals were selected. For two years the quarter finals were arranged in pairs on different weekends, where the losing provincial finalists, or the team that beat them, would play specified provincial winners. This was to make it easier to put games on different weekends and meant that Armagh would meet Tyrone again and Kerry would meet Cork. The new system is much fairer.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

timmyot501

DUBSFORSAM1

Apologies - I don't capiche

I am totally wrong and there is a draw for the quarters.  It did work that way for the last 2 years but not this year.

I STAND CORRECTED

Hound

Quote from: armaghniac on July 17, 2007, 01:00:41 PM
The new system is much fairer.
Apart from the fact that some winners from the next round of qualifiers will have to play their quarter-final straight away the following week. Under the old rules, the qualifier winners all got a 2 week break (barring draws).  Though I still think overall, the new system is better.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Hound on July 17, 2007, 02:58:14 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 17, 2007, 01:00:41 PM
The new system is much fairer.
Apart from the fact that some winners from the next round of qualifiers will have to play their quarter-final straight away the following week. Under the old rules, the qualifier winners all got a 2 week break (barring draws).  Though I still think overall, the new system is better.

Hound

Well if they wanted more than a weeks break they shouldn't have been in the qualifiers!!!!

saffron sam2

Genuinely think Tyrone are homed and hosed at this stage.  No team has the footballing ability to beat them nor the proven tactical knowledge on the line.  If they are likely to lose it will in similar style to the Derry game last year and they will be far better equipped to deal wuth such an ambush this year.

Well done Tyrone 03,05 and 07.

I am being serious.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

armaghniac

QuoteWell done Tyrone 03,05 and 07.

One of the papers pointed out that winning three like this in alternate years is very unusual, it is certainly possible but hardly certain.

Loup Bandit

Quote from: saffron sam2 on July 17, 2007, 11:15:42 PM
Genuinely think Tyrone are homed and hosed at this stage.  No team has the footballing ability to beat them nor the proven tactical knowledge on the line.  If they are likely to lose it will in similar style to the Derry game last year and they will be far better equipped to deal wuth such an ambush this year.

Well done Tyrone 03,05 and 07.

I am being serious.

Home and hosed? Are you extracting the Michael?
Yes, Tyrone have a very good chance of winning sam or going very close but there is a lot of ball to be played yet. No team has the footballing ability you say?? Develop....
i think a few teams wud have sumthin to say about this!

Where has this big confidence came from? Crushing Donegal who completely folded?
We have seen that the national league didnt turn out too well with Mayo, Kildare and Donegal being dumped out of their provincial races respectfully.
beat fermanagh by a point, and monaghan by two.

Kerry Mike

QuoteWell done Tyrone 03,05 and 07.

Kerry 06,07 has a much better ring to it SS2.

But its too early to say, lots of football to be played yet, 8 teams would still have to win 4 games while the provincial winners have to win 3 games. So its a bit early for being homed and hosed.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

armaghniac

QuoteWe have seen that the national league didnt turn out too well with Mayo, Kildare and Donegal being dumped out of their provincial races respectfully.

Since league performance was always reckoned to be important in recent years, what has changed? Did the prospect of dropping to Div 3 from Div 1 teams make teams play harder? Is this an unusual year?

Mike Sheehy