Mayo to Win
36 (44.4%)
Derry to Win
44 (54.3%)
Draw after extra-time
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Farrandeelin

myles is from Cavan Abbeysider. HArdly overconfident about anything at this stage. I'll be working on Saturday I'm afraid so won't be able to go. Having been working last Saturday too, the only reports I've read are the ones on here and it seems Mayo still are doing an awful lot of flooting around with the defence. Sure it's no wonder, we've conceded 5-17 in our last two games. We need a big full back to handle the high ball that Derry are sure to pump into Muldoon and Bradley and not playing J Kilcullen there since the league final doesn't make it an automatic choice that he will comfortably slot in there the next day either. I'm very worried about this match truth be told!:(
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 09, 2007, 06:44:57 PM
myles is from Cavan Abbeysider. HArdly overconfident about anything at this stage. I'll be working on Saturday I'm afraid so won't be able to go. Having been working last Saturday too, the only reports I've read are the ones on here and it seems Mayo still are doing an awful lot of flooting around with the defence. Sure it's no wonder, we've conceded 5-17 in our last two games. We need a big full back to handle the high ball that Derry are sure to pump into Muldoon and Bradley and not playing J Kilcullen there since the league final doesn't make it an automatic choice that he will comfortably slot in there the next day either. I'm very worried about this match truth be told!:(
To be honest Farrandeelin, flooting wasnt the word for what went on on Saturday,it was worse than that,Cavan hadnt the biggest forward line ever to grace a football field,but they won more than their fair share. I think we will have to remane the full back line" bombscare"....only joking. The big question is what change will be made in there? Nallen or Brady or who knows Pat Harte? i'm sure Johnno will have a plan.( i hope)

nephinbeg

Kilcullen to full back, Padden to CHB - like they league where they were a hell of alot better than anything since then.

May fans are a bit cluless when t comes to tactics like a number of their players. It has taken us 3-4 years to relaise Gardiner cant defend. All mayo fans do is give out about BJP yet in Saturdays game he set was playing as an extra defender - and set up 4 of Mayos first half points and and dispossessed Cavan men four times. He is one of the few Mayo men with defensive qulaities and for that reason alone O Mah will not drop him nor will any other manager.

Forward play is very good I just worry bout Bradley at 14 and young Hanley wont get it all his own way against Sean Martin Lockhart. Will be very tight.

tbrick18

you mayo boys seem to forget that Lockhart isnt our only top class defender...McCloy, probably one of the top 3 full backs in the country...McGoldrick who admittedly yous might not have heard of is turning into a real find, kept Hanratty of monaghan scoreless and did a good job against armagh, he is more than able to man mark someone. then we have Gerard O'Kane, traditionally a half back but can do a job in the corner on his day...even if his form hasnt been great yet this year. Not to mention Kevin McGuckain, on the road to recovery has been on the bench for the last two games. I'm not sure how close he is to returning to first team action but I reckon not far away as his realistic target would have been the Ulster final, also this weekend.

Yous also seem to be forgeeting that we have 3 full forwards, bradley of course who is improving every game and scored 5 against Armagh and 1-2 against monaghan, Enda Muldoon who didnt play against armagh due to flu, collie devlin...yous might not have heard of him but he has all-ireland club honours with ballinderry, was our best forward against armagh and you will see just how good he is come saturday. Then we have players who can drop in there, Mark Lynch, Conleith Gilligan, and 2 or 3 very nippy forwards on the bench.
I'm not saying we are definately going to win, but listening to some of the mayo posters on here you may well be underestimating the threat derry have.

I said it before, if Derry can win their fair share in the middle third then I think our forwards have a better chance of scoring than yours with the quality of our full back line. So provided we get that fair share around the middle, I'll be going for Derry by a point or 2.

bailestil

Can't believe Derry actually have got a home Championship tie, God know if any team needs home advantage to get a crowd... we do.

Anywho... Don't be worried about visiting the Brandywell, its well used to coping with Mexican's travlling up north, thanks to the Brandywell Stadium next door.

For Pre-Match Pints you can hit Mary B's on Elmwood Tce, rightbeside the ground.
Alternatively "the Oak" which is just outside the City walls and would be en route between the city centre and the Ground. It would be the big bar for Derry City and travelling fans on match day.

You would usually be able to get parked near the gound on one of the side-streets. no worries about getting clamped as there will be no police nearby. Make sure your handbrake is in full working order!

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: bailestil on July 09, 2007, 09:13:26 PM
Can't believe Derry actually have got a home Championship tie, God know if any team needs home advantage to get a crowd... we do.

Anywho... Don't be worried about visiting the Brandywell, its well used to coping with Mexican's travlling up north

Mexicans very apt. but these boys in Green & Red aint as soft a touch as you Gringos seem to think  :D

I really do think both sets of fans are really underestimating the other team. I know that has been the downfall of many of Mayo & Derrys opponants down through the years.

Bogball XV

According to RTE's website we are getting to see one of the hurling qualifiers only - why???  It'll be f**king Tipp v Cork, vying for position to see who plays who in the quarter finals - bollox, it's not even sudden death.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 09, 2007, 10:24:03 PM
According to RTE's website we are getting to see one of the hurling qualifiers only - why???  It'll be f**king Tipp v Cork, vying for position to see who plays who in the quarter finals - bollox, it's not even sudden death.

I reckon the GAA wants them to show a minimum certain amount of hurling games each year.

Bogball XV

First prices up for the game:
14 Jul 15:30 Derry vs Mayo     6/4  7/1  8/11

I'd go along those lines - as I said on the Derry thread, Mayo were the worst draw we could have got (well maybe away to Meath wouldn't be great either).

Bogball XV

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 09, 2007, 10:26:20 PM

I reckon the GAA wants them to show a minimum certain amount of hurling games each year.
Yeah, but they've now shown how many hurling qualifiers - I mean Cork v Dublin ffs!!

Mayo4Sam

Well a tough draw but be nice to have a day & night out in derry.
Theres one serious problem and thats our lack of a full back and paddy bradley

Having said that derry have been very poor against antrim and monaghan so its hard to know which one will show up on saturday, hopefully its a good open game, it would suit mayos forwards
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

GalwayBayBoy

I guess they're showing two football games on the Sunday so probably thought it would be a bit much to show three football games and no hurling.

dodo

What will be the story with tickets for this match ? I assume it will be pay at the ground like McHale Park on saturday.

Can our Derry posters recommend any good parades to go to in the area ?  :-\

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: dodo on July 09, 2007, 11:41:19 PM
What will be the story with tickets for this match ? I assume it will be pay at the ground like McHale Park on saturday.

Can our Derry posters recommend any good parades to go to in the area ?  :-\

Its not one of those Pride parades your looking for is it  :D

dodo

Don't know anything about Pride parades but would be interested in one of those gay ones.  :-*