Derry to Win
44 (54.3%)
Draw after extra-time
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

mylestheslasher

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 09, 2007, 04:11:38 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 09, 2007, 03:53:01 PM
Having watched Mayo beat Cavan on Saturday I don't think Derry will have too much trouble here. As long as Derry break even around the middle they will win. Mayo FB line is poor and they will struggle with high ball into Muldoon and any ball into Bradley. I expect Lockhart to pocket mortimor. A confident Derry team is nearly impossible to beat in Celtic park.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now that is confidence.
Il remind you of that quote next Monday morning.
Do you honestly think the Mayo full back line wont be changed around?

Your innocence is unbelievable!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

What do you mean "confidence". What is the miraculous change Mayo are going to make in 7 days. Do they have a whole FB line hidden in a hedge somewhere ready to spring on Derry. Maybe I am too innocent to understand the complexities of Mayo team selection but I thought if you had better FB's you'd played them against Galway and Cavan - Silly me. Mayo could win the game alright, but only if they clean Derry out in the middle. Also, I don't expect to see mortimor arms outstretched like the christ waiting for the applause of his loving fans this weekend, Lockhart will take care of him - he's one of the best in the business at that.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 09, 2007, 04:43:14 PM
A Sh!t is this that really dodgy week up north, never would have copped it until ya said. Feck just got real nervous about wearing the GAA jersey up there. Hope no-one points out what the Green over the Red stands for  :o
Jaysus ye blueshirts don't know much about the north - little geography lesson.  Celtic Park is in Derry city, Derry city is 90% nationalist - the side of the river where Celtic Park is located is approx 110% nationalist - as Lynchbhoy pointed out to someone else the only problem you'll have is if some locals think that the Mayo shirt is in fact a FC Pyunik shirt (who Derry City play in the Champions League next week) or more likely a Glentoran shirt ;)
To be honest you's won't encounter any problems at all - Henry Downey has a bar in the city which is one of big spots for going out I'm led to believe - Bailestil or some of the locals can give ye all better info during the week.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 09, 2007, 04:51:22 PM
A Sh!t is this that really dodgy week up north, never would have copped it until ya said. Feck just got real nervous about wearing the GAA jersey up there. Hope no-one points out what the Green over the Red stands for  :o
Jaysus ye blueshirts don't know much about the north - little geography lesson.  Celtic Park is in Derry city, Derry city is 90% nationalist - the side of the river where Celtic Park is located is approx 110% nationalist - as Lynchbhoy pointed out to someone else the only problem you'll have is if some locals think that the Mayo shirt is in fact a FC Pyunik shirt (who Derry City play in the Champions League next week) or more likely a Glentoran shirt ;)
To be honest you's won't encounter any problems at all - Henry Downey has a bar in the city which is one of big spots for going out I'm led to believe - Bailestil or some of the locals can give ye all better info during the week.

Fair play, only been in the North 3 times, first time was this year. I think I nearly sh!t a brick the first time I crossed the border out of Leitrim, kept quite for hours (which my mates found do out of character, and very funny, they where all a little uneasy at first too, 6 lads on the Beer in Belfast all Connacht & Munstermen all first time in the 6 counties), however hours later lost & locked, I was wandering in a direction I did not know, belting out the Green & Red.

Tubberman

I'm planning on going up. So, seeing as a lot of the Nordies will be gone on their holidays, and assuming we get there safe and sound, we mightn't be too outnumbered.
Our defence definitely needs some major improvements as Johnno said afterwards. Tom Cunniffe did well when he came on I thought and could come in. Although Kilcullen might be deserving of another shot at it at CHB. James Kilcullen was warming up in the second half and I think he should start at full back the next day. He did very well there against Kerry in the league, and overall wasn't that bad - definitely better than O'Malley did on Saturday.
Clarke
Howley
J Kilcullen
O'Malley/A Higgins
T Mort
D Kilcullen
T Cunniffe/Gardiner
Heaney
D Brady (with McGarrity to come on again at similar stage)
G Brady/Campbell (Brady did better than I expected when he came on. BJP didn't impress)
Hanley
Dillon
C Mort
B Moran
A Moran
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 09, 2007, 04:59:59 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on July 09, 2007, 04:51:22 PM

Fair play, only been in the North 3 times, first time was this year. I think I nearly sh!t a brick the first time I crossed the border out of Leitrim, kept quite for hours (which my mates found do out of character, and very funny, they where all a little uneasy at first too, 6 lads on the Beer in Belfast all Connacht & Munstermen all first time in the 6 counties), however hours later lost & locked, I was wandering in a direction I did not know, belting out the Green & Red.

Ní thagann ciall roimh aois....  :P

OirthearMhaigheo

Looks like Derry are shaping up as favourites going on the poll. It depends on how much can be read into the Armagh match, but I suppose beating Armagh at any stage deserves credit. I still fancy us to do the job though, provided we solve our full-back line problems. I agree Derrys FB and FF lines are stronger but after that I think we have the edge in most positions. By the way Lockhart played at 6 the last day? are ye going to put him into corner back the next day just to look after Mortimer? seems a bit drastic but if that results in him leaving Hanley, good news for Mayo!

Fishead_Sam

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on July 09, 2007, 05:10:46 PM
Looks like Derry are shaping up as favourites going on the poll. It depends on how much can be read into the Armagh match, but I suppose beating Armagh at any stage deserves credit. I still fancy us to do the job though, provided we solve our full-back line problems. I agree Derrys FB and FF lines are stronger but after that I think we have the edge in most positions. By the way Lockhart played at 6 the last day? are ye going to put him into corner back the next day just to look after Mortimer? seems a bit drastic but if that results in him leaving Hanley, good news for Mayo!

Is our midfield situation as bad as it may seem, Pat Harte is on his way back and that should make a drastic improvement to midfield.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 09, 2007, 05:12:26 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 09, 2007, 05:09:31 PM

Ní thagann ciall roimh aois....  :P

As Bearla  ???

Sorry Sam - wisdom doesn't come before age is what it means.

blast05

QuoteAlso, I don't expect to see mortimor arms outstretched like the christ waiting for the applause of his loving fans this weekend, Lockhart will take care of him - he's one of the best in the business at that.

The thing with Mortimer is that even if Lockhart were moved from centre back to the corner, and can't see that happening, then Mortimer will still come away having won very little if any of the ball that comes his way and will somehow still end up with 3 or 4 from play .... and you will come away from the game thinking that Lockhart cleaned Mortimer (regardless of result) only to be shocked later to find that he scored 3 or 4 ...... exact same as the poor Cavan lad on the "Mayo v Cavan" thread this morning who was claiming their corner back cleaned Mort

OirthearMhaigheo

very true, the little hoor has a knack of picking off 3/4 scores from play while getting "cleaned". In fairness it did seem as though he was quiet against Cavan but look at his points tally, not many corner forwards more deadly than him.

fer fox ache

Lads Lockhart played at corner-back on Sunday and will undoubtedly stay there

mannix

Conor Mortimer is despised because he acts the goat sometimes and annoys others on and off the field but he is 95% of the time deadly be it from frees or play.Cavan done well on him but he still scored 7 times and had a few wides.Kissing to the crowd is best left till 5 oclock on a sunday in september after we beat someone in croker.Still much prefer to have him than mark him.
Lockhart will have his hands full if he marks him but i doubt he will mark mortimer, too much pace and turning and better left to a smaller faster back if derry have one.

AbbeySider

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 09, 2007, 04:43:22 PM
What do you mean "confidence".

I mean this:
Quote from: mylestheslasher
Having watched Mayo beat Cavan on Saturday I don't think Derry will have too much trouble here.

That statement is the most over confident piece ever written on this board. You make it sound so simple.  :D
Just because Derry beat a team way past their best and too old they think they are world beaters!

What is the miraculous change Mayo are going to make in 7 days. Do they have a whole FB line hidden in a hedge somewhere ready to spring on Derry. Maybe I am too innocent to understand the complexities of Mayo team selection but I thought if you had better FB's you'd played them against Galway and Cavan - Silly me.

We have loads of options in the full back line. And changes will be made. Our full back line could be a combination or any of the following :

Howley,   J Kilcullen,   O'Malley

or

A Higgins,   J Kilcullen,   Howley

or

A Higgins,   D Heaney,   Howley

or even

O'Malley,   D Brady,   Howley

There is loads of options there.
And if you want to worry about Conor Mortimor throughout the whole game be my guest, He is one man that contributes more from frees than anything else. We have five other forwards for you to worry about...

Silly me

Indeed!  :D  :D  :D

mylestheslasher

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 09, 2007, 06:10:03 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 09, 2007, 04:43:22 PM
What do you mean "confidence".

I mean this:
Having watched Mayo beat Cavan on Saturday I don't think Derry will have too much trouble here.

That statement is the most over confident piece ever written on this board. You make it sound so simple.  :D
Just because Derry beat a team way past their best and too old they think they are world beaters!

What is the miraculous change Mayo are going to make in 7 days. Do they have a whole FB line hidden in a hedge somewhere ready to spring on Derry. Maybe I am too innocent to understand the complexities of Mayo team selection but I thought if you had better FB's you'd played them against Galway and Cavan - Silly me.

We have loads of options in the full back line. And changes will be made. Our full back line could be a combination or any of the following :

Howley,   J Kilcullen,   O'Malley

or

A Higgins,   J Kilcullen,   Howley

or

A Higgins,   D Heaney,   Howley

or even

O'Malley,   D Brady,   Howley

There is loads of options there.
And if you want to worry about Conor Mortimor throughout the whole game be my guest, He is one man that contributes more from frees than anything else. We have five other forwards for you to worry about...

Silly me

Indeed!  :D  :D  :D

Abbeysider - you are painting a picture of me as if I am from Derry or support Derry. I'm neither. I was watching Cavan and Mayo in castlebar cos I support Cavan. There were so many problems on the Mayo team that a better team than Cavan (e.g. Derry) will probably take full advantage of. I think it is you who is the silly one :P