Terror suspect was Queen's graduate

Started by armaghniac, July 06, 2007, 03:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

from the Belly Telly

things must be going downhill at QUB, I knew a few people that went there years ago and when they made a bomb it worked.

Terror suspect Kafeel Ahmed graduated from Queen's University with a Masters in Philosophy in 2003, the Belfast Telegraph can reveal today.

Ahmed, who was critically injured in the car bomb attack on Glasgow Airport last Saturday, remained in hospital today where he was being treated in hospital for burns to 90% of his body.

It is understood doctors treating Ahmed believe he will not survive the injuries he sustained during an attempt to blow up Glasgow Airport last weekend.

His name appeared in the Belfast Telegraph's coverage of Queen's University graduations on December 11, 2003.

It is thought he attended the university's graduation ceremony where he received a Masters in Philosophy.

It has also been reported that Ahmed completed a post-graduate course in aeronautical engineering at Queen's University and lived close to the Belfast campus in a rented house.

A spokesman from the university today refused to confirm reports that Ahmed studied at the university and added: "We have been advised by Scotland Yard not to comment."

An off-duty policeman has been hailed a hero after running to the scene of the burning Cherokee Jeep at the front of main terminal building at the airport and trying to help Ahmed who was engulfed in flames.

PC Stewart Ferguson has told how he initially believed there had been a traffic accident but quickly realised there was a more sinister aspect to the incident when the man he was trying to help appeared to fight him off.

He has told how he believed Ahmed seemed to be resigned to burning to death.

To date, police have been unable to question Ahmed about his role in the blaze.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GweylTah

I wouldn't have thought a terror suspect (or convicted terrorist) being a graduate of QUB makes him unique.

stew

Quote from: GweylTah on July 06, 2007, 03:51:09 PM
I wouldn't have thought a terror suspect (or convicted terrorist) being a graduate of QUB makes him unique.

Correct, I am sure there were a few loyalist killers that went to QUB.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

GweylTah

Probably right.

A few under-graduates as well, and one in particular I can think of who has an eternity to think of the perils of an early Easter vacation.

heganboy

seriously- this is the road we want this to take?

just to save you all the bother:
poster A
"tit"

poster B
"tat"

great we're all square can we get on with discussing topics now?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

armaghniac

I wonder what our friend Kafeel Ahmed made of the local "disagreements".
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Donagh

As I hinted on another thread I think I may have him on a few occasions through a mutual friend (well the bloke I knew was doing a Phd in the same department as him - and if nifan is who I think, he may have met him as well). If it's the guy I remember he didn't seem to take much interest in our local disputes or even the Palestinian conflict. I only really remember a quiet, well mannered, studious sort of fella.

In saying that he was kind of overshadowed by another guy (Jordanian I think) who was always kind of hovering around. The Jordanian was a complete tube. Big drinker, big mouth who on finding out I wasn't Protestant (I refused to say I was Catholic) assumed I was in some way sympathetic to the ''martyrdom operation'' on the Twin Towers (I'd say this was 2002/03).

Even though I set him right on that, he came back to me looking a recommendation for a good solicitor in Belfast to help him in a dispute he was having "with Queen's and a few other matters".  Anyway I went back to my mate to try and suss out what was going on and we had coffee with (I think) the Glasgow bloke. It turned out the "other matters" were that this Jordanian had married some skanger from the Village and he'd been getting pissed up and fighting a bit out with her and her family, who'd also got the local UDA in on the act. To top that, the dispute was because the Jordanian was looking a divorce as he was due to marry some other bird back home the following month, and his family who were paying for his Irish sojourn, didn't know he'd got married here.

Anyway, the Glasgow bloke (again it was a few years ago and if you're reading MI5, I've not got a great head for names or faces) filled me in on the whole story and seemed very ashamed of the way this guy was behaving, nothing fanatical or anything, just sort of letting the side down – same way you'd react when bringing someone of the "other persuasion" to Clones and the place is falling down with teenage drunks. So after hearing all of this, I kind of fobbed the other lad off as I wasn't going to lumber one of my legal friends with that type of mess.  But as it goes, and if it was the same person, he seemed a pretty level headed, genuine sort – I'd actually him penned out as a high achiever – not the loone that was on the telly tonight. And horrific as it is to say it, he'd be the type of chap who if he put his mind to it would have been well capable of coming up with something more effective than setting fire to a car with a few gas cylinders in it (so again it may not have been him).

nifan

Quoteand if nifan is who I think, he may have met him as well

I suspect I may have met him as well, though I am not entirely sure - if it is who I think he didn't really mix much and was quiet as you say.