Poll: Are you in favour of the multi-sports stadium at Long Kesh?

Started by Donagh, July 04, 2007, 10:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poll: Are you in favour of the multi-sports stadium at Long Kesh?

Free stadium, hell yeah
No way, we don't need it
Don't care, not us pouring money into it

Donagh

As Central Council seem to be making all of the running on this, all Board members are invited to take part in the poll.

Tankie

Its always crazy to say no to a free stadium once you dont get caught up in a contract that says you must play there!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Donagh you should have posted this on the GAA side as there it will get maximum coverage from the GAA fans on this board, as I'm sure your aware some of them don't venture onto the darkside of the board.
Another suggestion would be
1.As a GAA fan are you in Favour of the Stadium at Long kesh
2.As a GAA fan are you not in favour of a stadium at Long Kesh - another venue?
3. Just give us the cash (plus poss a bit of land for Armagh to build a decent ground! ;)) and we'll improve our own grounds.
4. Don't care cos it's an Ulster problem
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 04, 2007, 11:28:22 AM
Definitely not option 3 Gaoth Dobhair. With all the "success" the Orange county have had they should have used the money to build a decent ground.

a bit like the FAI and IFA you mean  :o

An Fear Rua

theres one option missing

Quite happy with the stalemate....
Its Grim up North

SammyG

Point of Order

The stadium is far from free. Leaving aside the Government money (which we'll all pay as taxpayers) the GAA will be paying several hundred thousand per year. I haven't got the exact figures to hand (I'm in work at the minute) but the agreement was that the GAA would pay the lions share of the rent, with the IFA next and Ulster rugby paying a few quid.

Donagh

Ah for feck sake. Gwee asked someone to do a poll. I did one now you are all complaining.

Do your own in future, I'm away home...

Evil Genius

Quote from: SammyG on July 04, 2007, 11:47:58 AM
Point of Order

The stadium is far from free. Leaving aside the Government money (which we'll all pay as taxpayers) the GAA will be paying several hundred thousand per year. I haven't got the exact figures to hand (I'm in work at the minute) but the agreement was that the GAA would pay the lions share of the rent, with the IFA next and Ulster rugby paying a few quid.

"Free" also disregards how placing a sports stadium on the site severely reduces the land's development value (estimated at £500m+) for housing etc.

Plus, of course, that the GAA will have either to forego income equivalent to 17.5% VAT for games played at the Maze rather than Clones, or increase ticket prices to their fans by that amount, to compensate.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

the ship

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 04, 2007, 11:26:21 AM
Donagh you should have posted this on the GAA side as there it will get maximum coverage from the GAA fans on this board, as I'm sure your aware some of them don't venture onto the darkside of the board.

i would say that most would look at whats on the darkside as you call it, but would find it hard to comment on as most of the threads are about things that happean in the north that we would have no experience of, and would not, and should not comment on.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: the ship on July 04, 2007, 01:16:06 PM

i would say that most would look at whats on the darkside as you call it, but would find it hard to comment on as most of the threads are about things that happean in the north that we would have no experience of, and would not, and should not comment on.

Understand what your saying, but why should where you live stop you commenting on issues relating to the six counties, when you may have an opinion.
I would be very surprised if people on this island did not have opinions on the six counties.
My reason for wanting this topic/poll placed on the GAA board is that it maybe an issue for all GAA fans on this island in the future, as you may have to travel to this stadium in the future for inter-county matches.
Tbc....

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

snatter

snatter

Quote from: the ship on July 04, 2007, 01:16:06 PM

This isn't about the north - its about how the GAA get treated, and what it should spend its money on.
Its about whether the GAA should
1. be forced to spend millions to build lower standard facilities for itself,
or
2. get equally treated in the new Northern Ireland, and get facilitated in a new all seated fully covered stadium built by the british govt, with no capital outlay whatsoever.

No brainer in my view.
Take the stadium and spend our money on getting gaelic games into urban areas.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: snatter on July 04, 2007, 01:49:12 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 04, 2007, 01:47:36 PM
Spilt exactly three ways...

and how many of the no votes belong to the owc brigade?

Well you will have EG, SammyG, Nifan, GwelTah and poss Tonto and ChrisOWC.
I make that six !  ;)
Tbc....

snatter

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 04, 2007, 01:57:03 PM
Quote from: snatter on July 04, 2007, 01:49:12 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 04, 2007, 01:47:36 PM
Spilt exactly three ways...

and how many of the no votes belong to the owc brigade?

Well you will have EG, SammyG, Nifan, GwelTah and poss Tonto and ChrisOWC.
I make that six !  ;)

So, if they've all voted (and these guys are usually quick off the mark), then the scores whould currently read:

Free stadium, hell yeah                         14 (48%)
No way, we don't need it                       4 (14%)
Don't care, not us pouring money into it  11 (29%)

Total Voters: 29