Is Kerry Football over-rated?

Started by From the Bunker, July 03, 2007, 09:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

True over the last 3 years Kerry has won 2 AI Senior titles. But at underage they are struggling to win Munster and AI Titles. The County has not won an underage AI title (u21/Minor) since the mid ninties and you have to go to the early 90's for a AI club title! This seems a strange lapse of time without titles for the so called kingpins. Am i being cruel or calling it as it is?

Hedley Lamarr

34 AI titles speak for themselves....so no it's not over-rated. Mayo and Armagh have won recent U-21 titles (since02) but no AI senior since then.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

MacCruiskeen

"True over the last 3 years Kerry has won 2 AI Senior titles"

Typical Kerry poster. Football began in 2004 did it?

Fear ón Srath Bán

In fairness, I believe the only real yardstick is Senior successes, and their record in that regard speaks for itself, not just from immemorial eons ago but recently and they are still the measure for other teams to aim for. Underage successes are great in themselves, and for the potential they may represent at Senior level, but no more than that.

That's not to say, however, that Kerry aren't overestimated year-on-year by certain sections of the media, even when there's no real current form to justify their confidence.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

J70

Dublin, Mayo, Galway and Meath have to go back to before Kerry for their last minor wins. On the other hand, Down and Derry have obviously built strong senior sides this decade on the back of minor All Irelands. :P No doubt Roscommon will also be challenging for Sam before the decade's out! ;)

U-21s would seem to have more of an association with relative senior success, but obviously not in the case of Kerry.

FL/MAYO

I agree, U21 is the best indicator for future success. The 3 years from minor to U21 is when alot of younger players lose the plot or total interest in the game. If they are still playing at the U21 stage there is a better chance for their progression to the senior ranks.

magickingdom

theres already two threads taking the piss out of kerry do ye need a third. put them all in one and call it whingefest...

FL/MAYO

As  a Mayo man I will say that Kerry football is under-rated by a mile, Kerry have been very close to making me cry a number of times over the last ten years.

johnpower

Kerry football is well over rated and is hyped up By RTE ,Independent News papers , The Irish times and others  due to Political pressure put on them by Jackie Healy Rea ,Martin Ferris Sour puss O donoughue. For security reasons I cannot tell you the other parties to this crime

Mike Sheehy

Quotetheres already two threads taking the piss out of kerry do ye need a third. put them all in one and call it whingefest...

Its a Mayoman starting it this time magickingdom. I think the Northern disease is spreading !

They'd better come up with a vaccine soon or the country is f**Ked. The great issues of the
day will be swept aside as they wrestle with threat of Kerry football !

ONeill

Definitely wasn't overrated between 1986 and 1997.

What Kerry have is the eternally successfully combination to be consistantly at the top table - self-belief, talent, experience, DNA, easy province, good managers, no shops/TVs.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Such a ridiculous question?  How can one define any particular type opf football as Kerry football anymore.  Everyone knows the animals simply aped Ulster football to get them back on track and whilst they can play it better than Morans Mayo they simply dont have the harte for Mickeys men.

johnpower

And where  were ye last year ? Laois beat ye easy

Mike Sheehy

Quotethan Morans Mayo they simply dont have the harte for Mickeys men.

Does everyone in Tyrone fancy themselves as a budding journo or what ..? 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 03, 2007, 11:16:36 PM
Quotethan Morans Mayo they simply dont have the harte for Mickeys men.

Does everyone in Tyrone fancy themselves as a budding journo or what ..? 

They're not big on the auld "reedin' n' ritin'" in Tyrone so the answer would be no!