Microsoft outlook.

Started by An Gaeilgoir, June 29, 2007, 08:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

Lads,
I need a bit of information regarding Microsoft outlook. Work is upgrading my Lap-top and i am wondering if i change will all my archieved mails be lost, or will my account just transfer to my new lap top. Also i am getting a desk top for work....(my company is so generous).So if i set up my outlook on the desk top and laptop can i use both machines to access my mails or will they work as seperate accounts. Thanks.

Tony Baloney

Your mail should live in a .pst file (saved to a drive) rather than embedded in your actual application "Inbox" so as long as your account on your new laptop points to this .pst file I reckon you'll be grand to pick up all your existing/archived mail!

Again your laptop and desktop will have the same login details and point to the same Outlook account so should be no issue.

Note: I'm no expert though  :)

Gnevin

Go to start >control panel>mail >data files . This will show you the location of your archive(s) just simplely copy the folders to a back up such as a portable hard disk these folder can be quite large
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on June 29, 2007, 08:35:26 AM
Lads,
I need a bit of information regarding Microsoft outlook. Work is upgrading my Lap-top and i am wondering if i change will all my archieved mails be lost, or will my account just transfer to my new lap top. Also i am getting a desk top for work....(my company is so generous).So if i set up my outlook on the desk top and laptop can i use both machines to access my mails or will they work as seperate accounts. Thanks.

optimum solution for you is run your email from 'the exchange server' in work - your desktop will connect to this.

As for your laptop - it depends on if or how you connect to your work systems when off site.
Do you have a 'VPN' or remote access solution? (connecting via broadband or 3G wireless data card)
If so , then your laptop can be configured to access the exchange server in the same menner as your desktop.

If you do not remotely connect in - then does your company publish your email on the web (outlook web enablement)?
If yes , then you will be able to get your email anywhere, but you wont have quite the same functionality - as in you wont have the same email folders set up on the desktop. Its a bit of a cut down version, but fine if you are only based out of the office a day or two a week.

AZOffaly

Yeah Lynchbhoy, but most companies I know make people take their archived files to a local or network share, and only the live mailbox is on the exchange server. The .pst thing the lads are talking about above is the answer here. (Unless I've misunderstood, which is not unheard of :D)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2007, 09:32:27 AM
Yeah Lynchbhoy, but most companies I know make people take their archived files to a local or network share, and only the live mailbox is on the exchange server. The .pst thing the lads are talking about above is the answer here. (Unless I've misunderstood, which is not unheard of :D)
Fair enough what I was think of was I suppose that  it depends on whether the archive is in exchange system or archived into a .pst file stored on the network share. Some people reach the 1.3 GB mailbox threshold and need to split live mail into a .pst.

BTW - Microsoft do not support archived or data files (.pst) that are not saved on your C: drive.
So .pst's must be saved there in the event of you having a MS related problem with email.
However, local hard drives almost never are backed up.