Places to Stay in Galway

Started by Well, June 28, 2007, 09:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well

Well - A few Northern Gaels are planning to go to the Galway races but are finding it near on impossible to find anywhere to stay. Can anyone think of any decent hotels or B&B's? 

Fishead_Sam

You might have to try Claregalway or Oranmore @ this stage. Claregalway about 7 miles from City Centre, Oranmore about the same. I wonder is Corrib Village the student accomodation in NUIGalway all booked out for the Summer yet, might be worth a try.

ExiledGael

Stayed in the Galway Bay Hotel in Salthill, really good but quite expensive, (worth it though) depends what you're after. If it's a week on the lash for a pile of lads probably not the best spot

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 28, 2007, 10:12:26 PM
http://www.theghotel.ie/g/

Expensive but well worth it if they have rooms. Definitely the best hotel in Galway

But do you not think he is way way way too late to get anywhere decent @ this stage, you really have had to have booked ages ago.

Donagh

Got the oul fella a place to stay at the university accommodation last year. Wee self contained flat with plenty of parking at the roundabout on the way into town. He was very complimentary about it. A Google search sound be able to turn it up for you.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Donagh on June 28, 2007, 10:33:17 PM
Got the oul fella a place to stay at the university accommodation last year. Wee self contained flat with plenty of parking at the roundabout on the way into town. He was very complimentary about it. A Google search sound be able to turn it up for you.

Thats Corrib Village, I stayed there when I was in first year @ NUIG way back in 1998-99, Id say its one of the best options @ this stage as the hotels & b&bs bound to be gone

Hereiam

Lads have a similar request. 10-12 of us lads r thinking of heading to Galway around the middle of August for a stag. Where would be the best place to stay.

Hardy

cavan4ever

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on June 28, 2007, 10:36:41 PM
Quote from: Donagh on June 28, 2007, 10:33:17 PM

Thats Corrib Village, I stayed there when I was in first year @ NUIG way back in 1998-99, Id say its one of the best options @ this stage as the hotels & b&bs bound to be gone

A mate of mine booked a few beds here about 3 months ago cos there was nothing else left.  At that stage they were nealry booked out so ud want to be moving if your gonna try them.

intoDwest

Try Glasan student village. Its part of the GMIT and right beside the Race course.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Was down for the first 3 days of the races 2 years ago,, everywhere was booked up or way OTT pricewise.
Eventually got the Skiffington on Eyre Square, got a great deal of the girl at Reception cos it was the first three days (not as many about) - your not getting luxery but the hotel is grand very central and the craíc in the late bar was f**king unbelieveable - mighty altogether. Decent breakfast as well and got free into thte club behind it as well.
Tbc....

Fishead_Sam

Its so worth paying a little over the odds or even going out to Claregalway or Oranmore, getting a taxi forget about it, just hide a few beers somewhere around town and stay drinking on the street all night you will be one of several thousand doing that.

Was in College in Galway for 4 years Galway Races best craic ever, have been a few times since then and before going to college too. The whole of Shop St., Cross St. Quay St. etc. becomes one giant bar, where you can buy a pint in one pub drink some of it on the street and walk with it into another pub with the same pint if you can push through the giant crowd. You defo have to get some cans, wine or bottle of spirits to have hid away somewhere, coz you be mighty pissed off if you cant get into a club or are invited to a random party.

Galway Races are the biz and thats even without ever going to the races at all, the dog races are on all week too.

TirEoghaingodeo

If it's cheap and cheerful you're after, would recommend this place. 8 bed dorms, nice doubles, and right across from the quay bar, 2 mins from kings head. Great for stag, although obviously don't let them know it's a stag.

http://www.thebackpacker.net/travelhostels/71938_galway_travelhostels.htm//
http://www.barnacles.ie/
Ó dá ligfeadh sí liú amháin gaile, liú catha...

Rois

You've got me all excited about the races now - a group of us have made it an annual thing now, usually do the Ladies Day thing but this year we're not even going near the horses, just doing the pubs and of course the street at night!

Stayed out in Corrib Village a couple of years ago but it was a pain.  Stayed in a hostel last year just off Eyre Square (Sleepzone) and it was just what we were looking for so we're going back this year - just paid the balance yesterday in fact.  If you can get a private room there, go for it, cheap and as close to the action as you can get.

Donagh

Quote from: Rois on June 29, 2007, 11:53:37 AM
You've got me all excited about the races now - a group of us have made it an annual thing now, usually do the Ladies Day thing but this year we're not even going near the horses, just doing the pubs and of course the street at night!

:o

Gotta be better ways of making a few pound