Sligo v. Galway - Connacht Final

Started by magpie seanie, June 26, 2007, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onlooker

Met some of the Sligo travelling support when they played Tipperary in the National League last February and I am delighted for a very genuine bunch of fans.   Tipp and Sligo played a draw that day and both teams were looking forward to better times this season.  It did not work out for Tipp, unfortunately, but Sligo have had their day in the sun and may have more to come.  I was surprised to read at that time that some Sligo people were critical of Eamonn O'Hara.  I could not understand it then and I doubtif anyone is critical of him after to-day.  A true reward for a fine player.

Mike Sheehy

Congrats to Sligo and the Sligo lads on here. The Northwests awake !!

5 Sams

Excellent result lads.....congrats all around...I knew yiz were a good team after yiz battered us last year....I hope O'Hara is OK....sum footballer!!
The Aristocrat Years

belleaqua

To Magpie Seanie and other Sligo posters, congratulations on an outstanding win. Great scenes after the final whistle. I am well humbled by my inaccurate prediction. Im still stunned by Galways performance.

The lack of desire was the difference-simple as. Sligo should have won by 5-6+ but thats the difference regards quality but not the time for that. I was asked earlier who played well for Galway? Answer= Nobody!

Ford has to be credited with forming our defence but by all accounts its a lost dressing room, qualifiers wont change alot IMO. Why was Blake taken off?

The enigma that is Michael Meehan? What can ya say? The most talented player i have ever seen having watched him since he played with Jarlaths. He seems to have been thrown in too young and been marked as so. However after a tough year for him personally class will win through.

Only positive i can take is that this was Sligo's All Ireland and not Galways and maybe they eye the big prize but im not sure i believe in that theory myself.

Best of luck to both sides next day out.

down22

deiseach

I did not see this coming, The whole of Semple Stadium roared with delight at the news. Congrats to everyone in Sligo and to hell with the naysayers who would tell ye not to get carried away, party like there is no tomorrow!

From the Bunker

Yeah Sligo people, enjoy you moment in the Sun! I remember when Westmeath won the leinster in 2004 and Paudi asked for calm. He had no concept of a county winning their first provincial title (Granted he was looking at the bigger picture), But the moment was sort of lost. Galway are in a bit of bother, beating Mayo has been the height of their Championship success for some time now and we all know Mayo/Galway games are a strange type of animal usually having no bearing on who really is the better team championship wise. Like Armagh they have big calls to make on seasoned campaigners who either are not up to the challenge football or hunger wise anymore. Time to blood in the qualifiers! Once again well done Sligo, good to see the Mayo/Galway monopoly broken for once. Hope they get a kind draw, that provincial champions deserve.

highorlow

Congrats to Sligo, Mighty Stuff, nearly hopped on the train earlier to join the lock in at Coolera House!!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

cavanmaniac

Hats of to Sliggy it's been a long time coming. Hope ye stay focused now and don't arrive in the quarter-finals like awe-struck tourists. :o

Wins like this for the underdog give the summer its flavour. 4/1 Sligo before the match, had a sneaking fancy but alas, not a bet. Great stuff anyway, brings back memories of '97 when a previous bunch of no-hoper underdogs won an Ulster title and drank the county dry.

highorlow

p.s. JOE BROLLY :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D

You definitely put the ANAL in analyst
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

BigJohnBrowne

Just want to add me congrats to everyone in Sligo, I'm delighted for ye as you've broken the mould and as a Leitirm man I know that challenges that bring.  Pity it wasn 't us to take out Galway but judging by your performance ye monitored things closely and worked on areas that Leitrim exposed (i'm not being big headed here, but Leitrim should have beaten Galway)

Anyway party like hell for a few days and then get yourselves ready for the next stage and don't loose yourselves in all of this - you really can go further !

Sligeach Abú

sligoman2

What can I say.  I'm over the moon with the result.

I see a lot of people here are criticizing the galway team and especially their forwards.  I think that is unfair and ye don't recognise the brilliant display by everyone of the sligo backs.  They were superb in the second half and held Galway scoreless from play in the second half when they had the wind.

The famine is over, we are worthy champions and it's great to see all the good wishes from the other counties.  Obviously we have some major repair work needed in the forward line but we'll worry about that later.

UP SLIGO
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

stew

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Kevin

Congratulations!

Of course it was the game in New York that got you going, blah, blah blah...

Best wishes for continued success!

Hound

Congrats to Sligo. Great stuff. At no stage did I think they were going to hold on!