Sligo v. Galway - Connacht Final

Started by magpie seanie, June 26, 2007, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Stateside

Well done to Sligo well deserved!!! New york beat by Connaght Champs doesnt look as bad now :P

AhFeckRef

:)

Great congratulations to Sligo. Connaught Champions 2007. To Magpie Seanie who's been preaching Sligo football since his college days heartiest congratulations. 

Shades of 94 watching Sligo supporters in the Hyde. Celebrete long and hard lads. Come on the underdog!  ;) ;)

joemamas

glad they had the common sense to show presentation

Puckoon

Superb result for sligo. Can imagine workplaces might be light on staff tomorrow!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Hardy on July 08, 2007, 03:47:25 PM
It's interesting too to see Galway abandon "nice" footbal and adopt the puke defence to an even pukier extent than we've ever seen from Tyrone. But I doubt you'll hear the muppet show tonight castigate them for this.

f**k off with your shite Hardy.

Well done Sligo. Deserved to win. Much the hungrier team which was not that surprising I guess. Second half Galway performance was as bad if not worse than against Westmeath last year. In the qualifier draw now but I can see us getting knocked out pronto.

Hardy

Ehhh tongue was in cheek there Fear Rua. I'm a great fan of defending and don't subscribe to the puke theory.

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

joemamas

who was the guy with the yellow top , that seemed to be running things on the galway sideline. did not seem like ford was in command

muppet

Heartiest congratulations to Sligo on a great win and on becoming the deserved 2007 Connacht Champions.

The Sligo contingent here such as Seanie, Owenmoresider and Sligonian who have flown the flag deserve their day. In truth Sligo are probably unlucky not to have won another Connacht this decade.

While we wait for the usual RTE pundits rubbishing Connacht football it is worth remembering that Connacht is the only province with no team in the Tommy Murphy. While that is hardly a claim to greatness it does indicate a certain level of competition in every team.  
MWWSI 2017

galwayman

Congrats to Sligo. Ye were by far the better team on the day and should have beaten us by 5 or 6 points.
Ye'll need to sort out a right footed free taker if possible for the quarter final.

From a Galway point of view there are very few positives to take from the game I'm afraid. That was as depressing a Galway performance as I think I've ever seen. The most disappointing aspect of it is that some of the players just did not look motivated for the battle and were just going through the motions. Padraic Joyce is a case in point.He just doesn't look hungry anymore.His free taking was superb as always but he contributed absolutely nothing from general play.

I couldn't fathom our tactics (or lack of them) when in possession of the ball.The "plan" seemed to be to lorry the ball in any way at all.I lost count of the number of stupid high deliveries that went into the forwards - many of them delivered by players without even looking up to see what was on.
We had no shape at all in the second half.When Armstrong came on he spent most of his time in our half of the field.That is just pure stupidity. The guy is a lethal inside forward and that's where he needs to be played - not in our own half backline!!
Ditto with Michael Meehan. He had another stinker today.His position is full forward and that's where he should be played.
When he came into the team initially in 2003 he was positioned at number 13 - which was fair enough at the time as he was just out of minor and Padraig Joyce was possibly the best number 14 in the country at the time so he was not going to dislodge Padraic at that time.
Things are much different now though.Padraic is playing poorly.I don't think he has scored from play in any of the 3 championship games so far. Meehan must play at 14 the next day. The problem with Galway at the moment is that while changes need to be made in a big way - the back up players just aren't there.Simple as that.

Tyrones own

13, 14 or 15 it shouldn't make a bit of difference to a player with the ability or supposed ability
  of M.Meehan, good under age talent for his county no doubt but is another of those players
  living off past performances.
  Imo the few sporatic showings that we see of him doesn't warrant the name that he carries.
  So put him at 14 if you want GWM but i think you'll find similar results!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Fishead_Sam

Congrats to Sligo for 5 reasons

1. 1975 a long time great to see ye win the Nestor Cup
2. Great to see Eamonn O'Hara & the other long term players win an Intercounty Senior title.
3. I won about €40 thanks to Sligo, means that I'm only €15 down on the weekends bets.
4. You stopped Galway getting too much breathing room over us in terms of Connacht Titles (Petty I know).
5. Very exciting & entertaining game.

Hardy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 08, 2007, 03:57:29 PM

Nice. No argument then. By the way, I was complementing your team, in that regard anyway. I hate "nice" football. Otherwise they were shite.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Hardy on July 08, 2007, 05:50:15 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 08, 2007, 03:57:29 PM

Nice. No argument then. By the way, I was complementing your team, in that regard anyway. I hate "nice" football. Otherwise they were shite.

You were in your arse complimenting the team. You were just trying to get a cheap dig in. Well done. Now sling your hook.

dodo

Galway were like a team that expected to win today but didn't have the appetite for battle. Fair play to the Sligo boys, should have won by 5/6 points. Cullinane came in too late, made a difference with winning some posession. Putting Colman in to FF was foolish, they needed to win some ball in centre. Sligo cleaned up in this sector for the entire second half. Won breaking ball etc. Kept on waiting for the Galway 10/15 minute period of superiority but it never materialised. Fair play to Sligo again.
This surely is the end of the Peter Forde years in Galway. Will need to win AI now to stay on.