Mayo v Cavan

Started by Redgreenery, June 24, 2007, 06:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: intoDwest on July 04, 2007, 12:21:23 PM
any news on the line up? God help us is G. Brady lines up at center half back. Has anyone god odds on the handicap betting for this match??

Ladbrokes have priced the game at Mayo 11/10, Cavan 13/2 and the draw at 18/1. So translating that into a handicap you're looking at Mayo by five or six points at the very least. Which, with the greatest respect to our Cavan friends, is probably about right.

mylestheslasher

I can't help reading between the lines and seeing a complacency in what is being said in that interview in the western. I mean would the line "blooding young players" appear in this article if Mayo were playing Donegal or Armagh?? For Cavan it is an excellent sign to see the Mayo manager talking like this - unless, of course, he is double bluffing.

I think this is a very interesting game. I think Hannon will stop Mortimer ion the FF line. I would imagine that Mayo backs will have the beating of the Cavan forwards. For me then it is going to come down to who wins most possesion in the middle and which team has the best free taker. I see Rory gallagher scored 8 points in a club game last w'end, 7 from frees. Could he possibly start? Who would be considered the Mayo free taker and how good is he?

cavanmaniac

Conor Mortimer is the Mayo dead ball man and apart from the odd casual lapse when he's trying too hard to look 'cool', he's generally pretty good.

'Our' Rory is a bit of a choker if v Roscommon at Croker is anything to judge by but he can put in the odd big display and probably will start for the frees if nothing else - in general play he'll be passing the buck and generally hiding.

I've said it already but Cavan have a tendency to play well when not labouring under expectation - i.e. when they know they won't be bollocked if they lose and will get a nice hug and a backslap for another moral victory that everyone will say was "unlucky" - so I think we'll give Mayo a fright. The westerners aren't so good but the truth is we're not even as good as that. That said, Mayo complacency is misplaced and might bite them yet too.

mannix

Doubt you will see much complacency from mayo, they are mad to get going and competition for jerseys is very strong from what I hear close to the setup.Liam MChale is very misguided in what he says about this panel playing above themselves, did armagh too play above themselves?
The loss to galway 7 weeks back is history and they are no further ahead of us at this time in the race.If thats all that can be used against Mayo with regards to this championship its a lightweight argument.A derby game is always strange, do you think cork are 1 goal (a single score away from kerry), I believe more like 4 - 7 points off them.Likewise dublin meath, meath won the first game if we were to be fair but they are nowhere near the dubs in class.
Anyway this is my last post until the game is over.Good luck to cavan, decent folk and a clean brand of football if not exactly a kerry of the game.

westmayo

Does anyone have any idea when the Mayo team will be announced it's usually about two days before the game, so maybe this evening will be interesting to see will JOM stick with the old relliables or give some of the younger lads a run out.

cavan4ever

Quote from: westmayo on July 04, 2007, 04:21:25 PM
Does anyone have any idea when the Mayo team will be announced it's usually about two days before the game, so maybe this evening will be interesting to see will JOM stick with the old relliables or give some of the younger lads a run out.

This is why we might have a chance with talk of giving young lads a run out mayo must be c**k sure there gonna win.  I expect them to win myself but if they get complacent they could get a shock.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 04, 2007, 04:29:29 PM

This is why we might have a chance with talk of giving young lads a run out mayo must be c**k sure there gonna win.  I expect them to win myself but if they get complacent they could get a shock.

Its not that we are been complaceent cavan4ever its just with the injuries to Ciaran Mc,Keith Higgins, Ronan Mc Garrity and the suspension of pat harte we have no choice but to try out new players
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

criostlinn

Yep, Team to be named tonight all right, should be interesting. As long as David Brady starts Im not to bothered. Finally make some serious money on this Mayo team.

mylestheslasher

Legendary Mayo "over confidence" is rampant on this thread. You should beat Cavan lads, but that doesn't mean you will. We've rattled better teams than Mayo over the past few years and if we can get a foothold in the middle I think you might be back here on Monday calling for O Mahonys head on a plate. Anyway, for what its worth I don't think Mayo have any chance of winning sam - that boat has sailed i'm afraid.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 04, 2007, 04:47:55 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on July 04, 2007, 04:29:29 PM

Its not that we are been complaceent cavan4ever its just with the injuries to Ciaran Mc,Keith Higgins, Ronan Mc Garrity and the suspension of pat harte we have no choice but to try out new players
I dont think it has anything to do with us been complacent. A lot of people forget that we won the u-21 last year so we would be well within our rights to replace some of the older players with our most recent crop of all Ireland winners. Its not complecency or dis-respectful to Cavan to blood some of these players. Anyway the vast majority of this new blood have played in the league games.

Fishead_Sam

2006 U-21 Champions
2005 Minor Runners Up
2004 U-21 Runners Up

So there is plenty of underage talent to be tapped, don't take it as an insult or over confidence if the younger lads are brought in, they are proven quality, now they need to show @ Inter-County Senior Level.

prewtna

never mind all this business of picking mayo teams, injuries and suspensions.... what about castlebar on saturday night?! reckon it will be mental. an expectant mayo crowd will probably turn out in numbers and then meander up the town after the game finishes.

just found out this evenin we've got a feckin East Mayo Junior exclusive match at 12 sunday morning. kind of kills saturday night, but sure what can ya do! (shows the level im operating at these days!!!)

highking

Mayo Team just released. Lots of talking points. David Kilcullen at CHB. Did anyone see that coming?

David Clarke, Aidan Higgins, Liam O'Malley, Trevor Howley, Peadar Gardiner (Capt), David Kilcullen, Trevor Mortimer, David Heaney, David Brady, Billy Joe Padden, Pierce Hanley, Alan Dillon, Conor Mortimer, Barry Moran, Andy Moran.

AMayoSheep

Would have liked to see trevor at half back and am disappointed that O'Neill is droped....jesus get Padden off the team-i dont rate him at least O'Neill would offer us some bit of extra class up in the forwards!!

Also not too sure about Moran at full forward,think he'd be better in one of the corners.

The Bottom Brick

QuoteDavid Clarke, Aidan Higgins, Liam O'Malley, Trevor Howley, Peadar Gardiner (Capt), David Kilcullen, Trevor Mortimer, David Heaney, David Brady, Billy Joe Padden, Pierce Hanley, Alan Dillon, Conor Mortimer, Barry Moran, Andy Moran.

f**k me on paper that team will eat us alive

However, for the reasons stated above, I reckon lump on Cavan for the handicap
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!