Armagh v Derry Official Thread

Started by holylandsniper, June 24, 2007, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loup Bandit

Just from some one outside of Armagh, i think the criticism about stephen kernan is unjutified. he didnt do so bad against Donegal and done well yesterday. maybe you should be looking elsewhere, its a right while since paddy mc keever had a big game. He was excellent in the all-ireland semi against tyrone in croker in 2005 but since that his form has dipped something shocking. A player i always rated very highly.

as for s.kernan not making the cross team, its no bad team! murtagh maybe seen others guys would be for effective just in that particular team, doesnt necessarily mean they would have it at county level but kernan might and could do a job.

Like mark harte, he will always come in for criticism cos of his dad.

pintsofguinness

I think any County manager who includes a player who's not making his club team will come in for criticism!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Loup Bandit

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 09, 2007, 04:08:03 PM
I think any County manager who includes a player who's not making his club team will come in for criticism!

So who should have been on in his place then? Surely if there were men going well in training and pushing for their place they would get their chance? as i said paddy mc keever has been in poor form for some time now, i would have thought he could have got the chop.
Thought Philly Loughran would have got a run out.

Armagh Exile

Pints,
Joe Lennon didn't play an awful lot of football for his club Aghaderg but he won three All-Ireland SFC medals with Down in the '60's including being captain of the winning 1968 team.
Going by your criteria he would not have won one.
Just admit it, you have something against the Kernan family and are taking it out on them on this Board which I think is a disgrace.

naka

was surprised philly didnt come on considering he warmed up for about 30 mins.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Armagh Exile on July 09, 2007, 04:38:49 PM
Pints,
Joe Lennon didn't play an awful lot of football for his club Aghaderg but he won three All-Ireland SFC medals with Down in the '60's including being captain of the winning 1968 team.
Going by your criteria he would not have won one.
Just admit it, you have something against the Kernan family and are taking it out on them on this Board which I think is a disgrace.

I'm getting a bit fed up of this allegation that I have something against the Kernan Family, in response to a similar allegation last night I said:
QuoteThat's just wrong.  I think you'll find I have never criticised aaron, have often defended him and I actually think he's a fine role model, particularly around Cross.   
I have no issues with Stephen, the lad jsut isn't county standard and that's it, it's not his fault.
Apart from Joe, and my criticism of him has never been personal, I have never said anything about the rest of the family. 

I am not the only one saying Stephen shouldn't be near the team and I'll be glad to see Joe going so I don't know why I'm in the firing line!
I wasn't born in the 60s and have no idea of the circumstances surrounding Joe Lennon being on the Down team when he wasn't playing with his club.  I would imagine that a player being on a county team while not making their own club team is an exception, not the norm!! It does not take a genius to see there is something wrong when this is happening.
Also we'd a player from my own club on the county team when he wasn't making our club team a few years ago, that was also wrong, but like Stephen it was not his fault, the blame lies with the manager.

Puckoon

Kernan unrepentant after ref rage 

Kernan says he will take time out before deciding on his future
Joe Kernan remained unrepentant on Monday after his outspoken criticism of a late refereeing decision in Armagh's qualifier defeat by Derry on Sunday.
Kernan described Meath referee Eugene Murtagh as a "clown" after the game which Derry won by 0-10 to 0-9.

"I'm always available to speak. If the powers-that-be want to do that, that's okay," Kernan told BBC Sport.

Kernan repeated that he will take time out before deciding about his future in the Orchard County job.

There has been widespread speculation that this year would be the Crossmaglen man's final season in charge but Kernan said that he would "sit down with the county board in a month or so".

Prior to that, Kernan plans to go on holiday which will offer him the opportunity to mull over his future.

A night's sleep had done nothing to dissipate Kernan's frustration on Monday morning.

"It's very, very frustrating that the future of teams can be decided by a mistake," added the Armagh boss.

I thought we played very well at times and especially in the second half

Joe Kernan

"A referee's job is to do what is best for both teams.

"There was one incident near the end of the game where it was a blatant free which would have put us a point up."

The incident in question was when Paul Keenan appeared to be fouled by a Derry defender on the Oak Leafers' 13-metre line.

Moments later, Derry won a free on their own deep in the Armagh half and Colin Devlin pointed to clinch victory.

Kernan felt his team had deserved to win Sunday's game.

"I thought we played very well at times and especially in the second half when we controlled most of the play.

"Twice we went two points up and that was probably the stage when we let it slip. We made a few chances and I felt that if we had gone three or four points up, we probably would have won the game.

"It's just disappointing and we know how much our players have put into this."

I feel the future is still good for Armagh because we have quality players coming through

Joe Kernan

Despite Sunday's disappointment, Kernan insists that the future remains bright for Armagh football.

"We've been trying to rebuild a team since 2002. We've introduced an awful lot of new faces. Six or seven of the 2002 team played yesterday.

"I feel the future is still good for Armagh because we have quality players coming through."

Kernan has confirmed that he will not take another intercounty job when he does stand down from the Armagh role.

"You could never go out to send another team out against your own team. That will be the case when I do step down."

Kernan added that he was "proud" of his players.

"Just look at what these boys have done for Armagh over the past 10, 15 years. We're all disappointed but give everybody a chance. Don't nail them to the cross because of today.

"Nobody gave more than these boys here."

In addition to the manager, there will also be speculation about whether Armagh veterans such as Kieran McGeeney, Paul McGrane, Oisin McConville and Diarmaid Marsden will opt to play on at intercounty level.

Did big joe say anything similar after the 2005 Ulster final fiasco?

Armamike

Joe put the spotlight on the stayaway supporters after the Donegal game, now it's the ref's turn. There's no point in Joe blaming the ref. It shouldn't deflect away from the main issue, which was the team's inability to turn possession into scores, again.  Armagh should not have let themselves get into a position where one bad refereeing decision could swing it.  The question i would like Joe to answer is why he waited until the 60th minute to make a change to the forward line and why 2 or 3 individuals who were contributing very little were allowed to stay on the pitch.

That's just, like your opinion man.

pintsofguinness

armawman
QuoteRemember he comes from very good stock, his father was a superb forward and Aaron is also excellent. Stephen was brilliant during the Under 21 All Ireland and Peter Rafferty had great faith in him.
Just reading over your post again I felt the need to comment on this...
That sort of shite sickens my hole, a county team should be picked by gathering the 30 or so best players in the county, their father (or club) should have nothing to do with it, to many teams are picked like that and if Armagh want to rebuild the last thing we need is a manager with your attitude.  Heaven forbid they have patdaly's either!

bigpaul

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 09, 2007, 05:23:37 PM
Quote from: Armagh Exile on July 09, 2007, 04:38:49 PM
Pints,

Joe Lennon is one of the greatest players ever. The same could not be said of any of the Kernans. If I was to be critical of Big Joe, he does seem to favour his own, maybe you cant blame him for that, but he should stop and think what it looks like from the outside.

Any manager who would 'stop and think what it looks like from the outside ' should not even attempt to do the job!!!!!!

bigpaul

[/quote]
I'm getting a bit fed up of this allegation that I have something against the Kernan Family, in response to a similar allegation last night

Why are people getting that impression pints, they can't be picking it off the ground!!!!

INDIANA

that a county senior team would want to pick an excellent u21 player?- really your logic is losing me here. from what i've been told he's good enough to be in the top 30 players. From what i've seen in both championship games he's been one of your better players- he certainly played well yesterday. If he was called Stephen Smith there wouldn't be a problem . I suppose with a new manager we'll find out now.
It's going to take a while - i don't see armagh having tyrone's conveyor belt and replacing the likes of mc geeney and mc grane - mc conville will be difficult. Either Crossmaglen take in every promising underage player in the county or the other clubs have simply given up- but their domination isn't doing Armagh any good anymore. Some of the other clubs need to step up to the plate.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: bigpaul on July 09, 2007, 07:18:53 PM

I'm getting a bit fed up of this allegation that I have something against the Kernan Family, in response to a similar allegation last night

Why are people getting that impression pints, they can't be picking it off the ground!!!!
I dunno bigpaul, maybe because they're knobs.

bigpaul

They're all out of step except yourself pints!

pintsofguinness

Well it's only you and armaghexile making allegations seemingly based on three of my comments..
one saying good riddance to joe and he can take stephen with him, one calling Joe a bollocks and my use of the term "flapping about" when describing stephen on the field. 
Suddenly I have some sort of vendetta against "the family".  ::)