Armagh v Derry Official Thread

Started by holylandsniper, June 24, 2007, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoyler

Wan't there but heard on Radio Ulster that McGuckian ( Derryman) said that the ref missed a glaring free for Armagh that would have won the match. He said it summed up the refs performance that he was absolutely woeful to both teams.  Still if Armagh are not able to beat this Derry side they have no business going any further.  Without taking knives out maybe its time to draw a line and start afresh. Thank God I stayed home to watch the hurling

Over the Bar

I'm sure Marsden feels good after finally relenting to 4 years of constant pressure to pull the boots back on.   :-\

ONeill

Not that big of a shock. Derry usually have one good performance in them (a good Derry performance means scoring 10-12 points and stifling the opposition) every year. Armagh have really struggled all year and the loss of Clarke and Mallon was insurmountable on top of the internal difficulties. Had Clarke been there, they'd still be in the draw and maybe an Ulster Final. That's how tight the margins are now. However even with Clarke Armagh are still rank outsiders with the likes of McGeeney and McConville, despite the experience they bring, liabilities in certain aspects of the game.

As for Derry, that's the toughest draw - v Mayo. Simply cannot see them scoring enough.

What was going on with McNulty and Bradley? "Is this how you did it?"

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

clawaddy

I have to laugh at the computer nerds giving their expert opinions without actually attending games.  Reading many of the posts You would think Armagh were so much better than Derry and Derry stole the game because the ref did not give Armagh one deserved free.  i was at the game and I thought the ref was very generous to Armagh -  He gave them many soft frees and was inconsistent.  The game was close and hard fought with Derry managhing to score a couple of vital scores near the end for a deserved victory

Smokin Joe

I hate to say I told you so, but what the hell   ::)

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 05, 2007, 01:55:24 PM

It appears that only Armagh posters are realising that we will get it very tough this weekend.  The rest of the country presume it will be a stroll, but I fear they are wrong.

As has been mentioned already on this thread we got 9 scores against Donegal, realistically we aren't going to put many on that this weekend given the style of football we play.

Much as it pains me to say, I think that Derry are a cracking bet with a 3 point head start against us.  Sure I'd like to think we will win but how many scores are we going to need to beat Derry by 3?

And how many scores did we get today?

I really have nothing more to add.

Bogball XV

I thought Derry probably deserved it - Armagh were shockingly bad.  I didn't think the ref was great either way, and there's no way that he favoured Derry - although to listen to the Armagh woman behind me - no actually, I wouldn't wish that on anyone - she was funny for about 30 secs, but when she was reduced to 'hop on home ref' after he awarded yet another hop ball, oh the guffaws, I can hear them now.
It should also be pointed out that Uladh was spot on when it comes to Hearty and the high ball - he managed one clean catch out of three today.

twotwocharlie

gutted at the result and more so at the way we played. good luck to derry you took your chances and that is that. as i said before what is c vernon doing sitting on the bench in such notable company as mal (oops) mackin. we were bad on the field but brutal on the line .show over.

Datsun Donaghy

shite result / Shite referee
Don't understand how Pat McAneaney can be on the line and thon Ball***s is given the whistle!!!

Derry's 4 second half scores came from "soft" frees and a blatant throw ball for the winner. Just before that, one of the Derry backs had a saddle on Keenan's back as he was clean through - no free!!!
Any chance there were good odds for a Derry win? -we know which team the ref had his money on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-[ :-[ :-[

Anyway, good luck to Derry  - hope you dispose of Mayo but some improvement may still be needed. In truth, I really feel the ref robbed us blind today but the present Armagh team, especially without Clarke and Mallon, were going to struggle against any of the top teams. There was a clear lack of pace up front and too little scoring threat to greatly trouble the better teams who we would've met later on. There is also an absence, in my opinion, of runners coming out of the middle of the park with the ball and taking on the opposition defenders.

I see the knives are (still) out for Joe and son Stephen - I felt Stephen Kernan had a fair game today. He grafted well and tirelessly but should have come off for the last 15 - 20 minutes as he was punctured. Oisin should have been rested then as well, although despite his lack of pace he does pose our greatest goal threat at present.

Some rebuilding may be needed, but not the major surgery some will no doubt be calling for! 

On a happier note - Chinese has just arrived  :D :D :D

balladmaker

For some reason, as an Armagh fan, I find myself breathing sigh of relief this evening.  I think today has been at least two years coming, and it definitely signals the end of an era.  Joe Kernan and this team deserve nothing but credit for what they have achieved since 1999, it was a long stretch, bringing our first All Ireland, first National League and Ulster after Ulser after Ulster.  As a result, I cannot see Armagh retreating to the dark days of the 80's and early 90's.

But today had to happen sometime, and it might as well have been today than in the next game or the one after that......were they ever really All Ireland contenders this year, definitely didn't look like it today.

Armagh Exile

QuoteGood ridance to Joe, and he can take Stephen with him.

Pints,
You are a sick and bittler little man and Armagh is as well without your support if this is all you can say.
This statement says more about you than it does about Joe Kernan.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Armagh Exile on July 08, 2007, 08:47:59 PM
QuoteGood ridance to Joe, and he can take Stephen with him.

Pints,
You are a sick and bittler little man and Armagh is as well without your support if this is all you can say.
This statement says more about you than it does about Joe Kernan.

What do you want me to say exile?  Cry that Joe's leaving?  You must be joking, I can't wait to see the back of him and I think you'll find I'm not on my own! 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Armagh Exile

Pints,
Joe Kernan has won 1 All-Ireland, 1 National League & 5 Ulster titles for Armagh.
What have you done for Armagh?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Armagh Exile on July 08, 2007, 09:00:53 PM
Pints,
Joe Kernan has won 1 All-Ireland, 1 National League & 5 Ulster titles for Armagh.
What have you done for Armagh?

Joe Kernan or Paul Grimley?

Joe will always be remembered for winning sam etc but he'll also be remembered as a man who put personal grudges, family and club loyalties before the county team!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

J70

Every manager reaches their sell-by date eventually.

Brian McEniff is far and away the best and most influential manager Donegal ever had, but I was happy to see him step down in 2005, given the ill-discipline and inconsistency that was plaguing the Donegal senior squad over that previous year.

(Some might say little has changed, but at least a new man and new players have been given a shot).

corn02

I'm with Pints on this one.

I hate this crap about the referee, he was not that bad and he certainly did not favour Derry. Jesus Christ for the first fifteen minutes any time an Armagh man was touched we got a free although Keenan defientely should have got that one in front of goals.

Where to start? Same old story, Joe plays with the two withdrawn half forwards. It always comes back to haunt the team, O Rourke is perfect for the job, let him stay back and keep McKeever up the field or hopefully someone else in his place.

Derry could have been 4 or 5 up at half time, Armagh some how kept it to two at half time, although I felt Derrys point just before the interval was crucial. In the first half best for Armagh were McNulty, O Rourke and McKeever (Ciaran). McCloy sweeped up every high ball that went in.

The second half saw a better performance for the most part. Players like S Kernan and McGeeney came into it more and young Dyas did very well when he replaced McKeever. But in the end that final push for the win caused them as Derry broke on the counter and struck the winner.

Notes from today:

Aaron Kernan is a terrible, terrible defender. Sure three points a day from half back looks great in the papers, but when your man skins you to the point where you blatantly foul everytime speaks volumes. A superb player on the ball, a brutal defender. Please move him to the half forwards.

McConville is now officially a passenger. It was hard to believe he was playing today. No runs, no speed, poor shooting. How did he finish the match. Do not give me the useless answer that he will get you a goal, his general play was shocking.

Our defence as usual was solid. Keeping the opposition to 10 points is a good return as usual our forwards looked dodgy.

Toner and Donaghy looked very poor today, especially Toner. Lavery looked like a good player when he came on as did Dyas.

The end of an era, and thankfully Joe has to go today. Stephen had a good second half but it is clear as day he is not good at this level.

The future? A llok at the bench today showed O Rourke, Vernon, Toal, Dyas and Lavery. The end of an era surely but some excellent players to fill the boots.