Tyrone v Monaghan USFC Final

Started by tyroneman, June 24, 2007, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

anluabu2

apologies
to other posters, i had contributed my opinion on the subject to this thread, which was hijacked by childish repsponse the had nothing to do with my original opinion.

Idiots like that annoy me and i should have ignored him for the sake of the rest of you

so I'm sorry :-\

orangeman

Don't worry about it An Lu ! Good luck with Cork -

Tyrone Dreamer

Its a sign of the times that we won the Ulster title but still werent totally happy. Think Mickey Harte (and the minor management of 01' and 04') and the current group of players need congratulated for being involved in the most successful years in the history of Tyrone football. 2 all irelands, 2 national leagues, 3 ulsters, 3 all ireland minors and 2 under 21 all irelands is a far cry from what came before. Sometimes I dont think are own fans fully apprciate these achievements. Tyrone won the All Irealnd title in 05 having lost McAnallan, Hughes and Cavlan from the 03 team. I think it would be the biggest achievement of all if they could come back again without the sevices of Canavan and McGuigan and win another all Ireland.

However Im not convinved yet we can but we're in with a decent shot. Hard to know what our best team is even at this stage which is a worry. Question marks remain over full back and whether Mulgrew can fully deliver at centre forward. The hernia op required by Dooher is also a worry and looks like he'll have to fight through the pain barrier. However the team deserves credit for chalking up decent scores with an injured O'Neill and no McGuigan. I think full back is a toss up between Gormley and McMahon depending on the full forward. Not sure if McMahon is the man for centre back though if Gormley goes to full back. We need Cavanagh back in the middle, probably with Hub (needs to get back on form though). McGinley and Colm Cavanagh will probably fight it out for half forward. With everyone fit would have McCullagh in the corner coming out, and O'Neill and Mulligan making up the rest of the forward line. Would be nice to have Cavaln as back up to bring in for the last 20 mins. Much like 05 still lots of questions to be answered at this point. We cant complain about the side of the draw we're on though but sometimes thats when the focus can slip.

rrhf

apols for that rant an lu et al.  :-*   Just had enough of Tyrone pkayers reputations being tarnished.

Fuzzman

Watched most of the match again last night and as most other matches it's amazing how much you miss when you are actually at the game and don't have different angles and are influenced by crappy commentators

Is it just me or is live commentary getting really poor.
Every game now they get people names wrong repeatly, they make a call on a tackle but when they see the replay MOST don't have the balls to change their mind.

Of course we can all watch incidents in slow mo but depending which hat we're wearing we will see it differently
But there was an incident near the start, when Corey was all over Mugsy and mugsy was trying to make a run and then ye see Corey's leg kick out at him and trip him.
When Mugsy gets up again he tangles with COrey and holds his arm then, which is what Marty NO chin Morrissey choses to highlight and so for those NEUTRALS who can't think for themselves, ye automatically hear what U want to hear and say Mugsy is pulling him.

ITs hard to say but usually the forward want to get away from his man to win the ball and so will only start pulling his man if he's at it.
Another indicator to WHO started it question is yer man Corey drops to the ground before the throw in and Mugsy turns to two umpires and starts to smile.
Nothing happens and Corey gets back up again and starts his close marking.

I'm not saying Mugsy was all innocent but I think Corey let Mugsy know from the start what type of an afternoon he was in for, as did a lot of the other Monaghan lads

I was particularly pleased with the discipline Tyrone showed and there was NO MORE of this surrounding the Ref or whinging for frees or red cards.

Did you see Tommy Freeman after the goal. In Gourleys face? Has no-one else mentioned this
I expect this from teams now when they play Tyrone as ye must try everything to get an edge

BUT FOR f**k SAKE Get a Grip about diving and Time wasting.
You are watching it from afar and U dont know how bad a man is injured.

Watch it again and see how many times Monaghan charge a man after the ball is released and 3rd man late tackle style. Hub was at the brunt of loads as was Big Sean and Dooher.

Neutrals or those afraid of  meeting Tyrone later down the road, are trying to play the Diver, easy foul card to get us a reputation which we had in 2003 but teams change and if you watch that game again, Name me 5 or more times when Tyrone won frees for NOTHING.
Name the incidents and time on the clock

Star Spangler

Undoubtedly Joe McMahon should move back to full back.  Watching him play at midfield highlights why Hub is so good there.  McMahon took too much time looking round to find a man to release the ball and was in fact caught out a few times.  Hub on the other hand can play a quick pass to a man running through and start a fast moving attack.  Hub is also hard to move when he has the ball in hand which is vitally important in the midfield sector these days.  McMahon fell on his hoop a few times when the hits came in.

I don't understand all this shite about not being able to cope under the high ball.  When a full back is isolated because his two corner men are up the field of course he won't cope.  It's not that Tyrone as a team can't cope under the high ball - it's Tyrones tactics that don't cope under the high ball.  Winning a ball in the square 9 times out of 10 is about who picks it up when it breaks.  When it's Tommy Freeman your probably fcuked.

Cavlan should have been replaced early on as he constantly fcuked things up (e.g. lifting the ball of the ground).  The only time he hit a good pass was when he mis-hit it a pass to Mulligan (as he fell on his arse) and it was picked up and knocked over by McCullagh.  Again he showed he had no stomach for a fight when the pressure was on.  I don't want to have to say I told you so but....  I'd have Tommy McGuigan at centre forward with Mulgrew moved out to the right wing.  We need a fully fit O'Neill at full forward asap.

Mike Sheehy

Ignore them anluabu. Tyrone men are very ungentlemanly.

Ye should be ashamed of ye'reselves, talking to a lady like that.

tsk, tsk....No honour on the pitch, no honour off the pitch.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteBUT FOR f**k SAKE Get a Grip about diving and Time wasting.
You are watching it from afar and U dont know how bad a man is injured.

Yes, but dont you see, this is why it is so distasteful when somebody DOES feign or exaggerate injury.
It plays on peoples caution about doing the right thing. Plus it ruins the spectacle as the play is
continually stopping so any excitement in the game is killed.

Tyrone Dreamer

I wouldnt have any faith in a forward line with Mulgrew on the wing and Tommy McGuigan at centre forward. Both too similar and you need a real worker on the wing which Mulgrew isnt. Think Mulgrew is slightly better than McGuigan for centre forward but havent seen enough of McGuigan to know - probably should have had a go during the league. I just hope he doesnt revert back to Penrose in the role as he to slow to pass the ball to others. Hope at least the boys not involved on Sunday get a run out with their clubs this week - they need the football.

ONeill

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 17, 2007, 04:42:15 PM

Question marks remain over full back and whether Mulgrew can fully deliver at centre forward. Would be nice to have Cavlan as back up to bring in for the last 20 mins.

Two valid points. Harte seems to have serious belief in Mulgrew and I thought on Sunday he was starting to look around when on the ball which is a good sign. Although he's still learning at this level, I thought he looked more composed against Monaghan and trying to maximise his talents. Can we afford to wait on him...we did with McGuigan.

Cavlan doesn't seem to have the legs anymore for 70 mins and the more tired he gets the mistakes start to creep in. He'd be a fantastic option late on when fresh to unlock defences, maybe even in place of Mulgrew.

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 17, 2007, 06:00:58 PM

I was particularly pleased with the discipline Tyrone showed and there was NO MORE of this surrounding the Ref or whinging for frees or red cards.

Spot on. Maybe Mickey reads this board! We gave him and the team some abuse after the Fermanagh game for the silly and petty occasions when the ref moved the ball forward for mouthing. That seems to have been eradicated. I think you even gain more respect from the referees.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrone Dreamer

You could be right O'Neill maybe we do need to give Mulgrew time to settle in, after all its only his second season. Whether we can afford to do it at this time of year is another matter. Everything the lad does is classy, my only problem is I dont think he does enough yet which is a problem considering centre forward has been a key position in the Tyrone tactics. McCullagh is coming more into things and is a wonderful passer but dont think he's big enough for centre half forward. Cavlan should definately be left on the bench and brought on, can change a match but not fit for 70 mins. Think Colm Cavanagh can still have a big part to play in the half forwards if his head is right. Will look forward to the quarter final draw, wouldnt be supirsed if we got Derry.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Agree that Mulgrew is bedding in, and it's probably a critical phase in the nurturing of that talent at that level. We (Mickey) should hold our nerve. Tommy Mc G is a great replacement to have on the bench, and there may even be an argument for playing the two of them together (horses for courses). Colm Cavanagh's a option in the last third too.

Correct about the discipline too -- was remarking on that before the game and how it had turned a welcome corner.

Correct too about Cavlan as a replacement, not a man to start a match any more but great to spring from the bench where the miles on the clock are not evident.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Star Spangler

QuoteCavlan doesn't seem to have the legs anymore for 70 mins

He was having bother around the 15 minute mark on Sunday!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: rrhf on July 17, 2007, 05:05:11 PM
apols for that rant an lu et al.  :-*   Just had enough of Tyrone pkayers reputations being tarnished.
aye you covered yourself in glory  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?