Tyrone v Monaghan USFC Final

Started by tyroneman, June 24, 2007, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loughshore lad

Quote from: ONeill on July 17, 2007, 08:03:16 PM

Two valid points. Harte seems to have serious belief in Mulgrew and I thought on Sunday he was starting to look around when on the ball which is a good sign. Although he's still learning at this level, I thought he looked more composed against Monaghan and trying to maximise his talents. Can we afford to wait on him...we did with McGuigan.

Its hard to know with Mulgrew. Yes he has great potential and is starting to show some nice glimpses of what he can do but the next Brian McGuigan he is not. I feel people are putting the lad under too much pressure Tyrone will never replace McGuigan they will just have to learn how to work aorund not having him. They are totally different types of player, Mulgrew is all about his silky skills while McGuigan was just a cut above anybody else - he has the vision, ball winning abilty and this unnering capacity to control a game that comes along once in a lifetime. Mulgrew should be given time to blossom into the great player he could potentially become and not be consistently referred to as the next Brian McGuigan. As O'Neill has pointed out Tyrone had to wait until 2003 to see the best of Brian as Art and Eugene persisted in playing everywhere but where CHF where he should have been.

Star Spangler

I watched the game there again (can't bate Sky+!) and watched Mulgrew in particular. I think he had a very good game. He made some telling passes and wan't dispossesed as handy as before
. I also noticed Monaghan gave Dooher a lot of additional attention off the ball!  Dive of the day has to be Corey's dying swan impression in the penalty area in the 53rd minute!

ONeill

So, push comes to shove and we draw Cork in the All-Ireland quarters. We have a full strength team except McGuigan. Pick it - no ifs, buts or ors....

McConnell

McMenamin - Joe McMahon - Carlin

Harte - Gormley - Jordan

Hughes - Cavanagh

Dooher - Mulgrew - Mellon

McGinley - O'Neill - Mulligan

The two I'd need to defend are Mellon and McConnell. I know I'm in an ever-decreasing minority but I just feel that Mellon can be trusted on the big day, ahead of McCullagh. With O'Neill and Mulligan on the field, McCullagh's free-taking expertise is less crucial. Mellon can score from distance as well as throw his hand around the middle. Almost the same for McConnell, I think Pascal has the big-game temperament and could be crucial if Tyrone continue to be exposed to the high ball. I feel he deals with this better as well as clever with the ball in his hands under pressure.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrones own

Just watched it myself, Clerkin could and should have walked on 3 or 4 different occasions, lennon and Woods
weren't a lot better. The Monaghan goal was the direct result of a blatant push in the back which created the room necessary,
well taken no doubt but should have been a free out on the 21.
Is it just me or is T Freeman not doing himself any favours with his antics, Imo Gormley had him closed down well until he
ran into Finlay in the 1st half, don't think he was at himself after that.
My team for the next one would be:

McConnell (a little game time may be good for him for Cork or Kerry if and when we meet them)
Ricey    Joey      Carlin
Harte    Conor     Jordan
     Hub         Sean
Dooher   Tommy   Mulgrew/C Cavanagh
O'Neill     Mulligan    McCullagh

I do believe in horse's for course's though and we do have options 8)

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Star Spangler

Quote from: ONeill on July 17, 2007, 11:45:34 PM
So, push comes to shove and we draw Cork in the All-Ireland quarters. We have a full strength team except McGuigan. Pick it - no ifs, buts or ors....

McConnell

Harte - Gormley - Jordan

Hughes - Cavanagh

That's a strong side although I'd make one or two changes.  I don't think it would be fair to drop McCullagh based on his performances to date in the championship.   Enda McGinley has not played well this year and hasn't done enough to win a starting place over McCullagh.  I'd start McCullagh in the corner instead of McGinley.  I'd put McGinley at No. 12 though although Mellon had a reasonable game against Fermanagh.  With Mellon, T McGuigan and C Cavanagh on the bench Mickey will have some useful options if needed.  My big fear with Mickey though is the Penrose factor!!

It's nice to have a few choices at this stage all the same.

McConnell

Harte - Gormley - Jordan

Hughes - Cavanagh

Dooher - Mulgrew - McGinley

McCullagh - O'Neill - Mulligan

anluabu2

thank  you Mikesheey a true gent :-*

snappiered

Quote from: ONeill on July 17, 2007, 11:45:34 PM

McConnell

Harte - Gormley - Jordan

Hughes - Cavanagh

The two I'd need to defend are Mellon and McConnell. I know I'm in an ever-decreasing minority but I just feel that Mellon can be trusted on the big day, ahead of McCullagh. With O'Neill and Mulligan on the field, McCullagh's free-taking expertise is less crucial. Mellon can score from distance as well as throw his hand around the middle. Almost the same for McConnell, I think Pascal has the big-game temperament and could be crucial if Tyrone continue to be exposed to the high ball. I feel he deals with this better as well as clever with the ball in his hands under pressure.

Just when yous mention that we have a full team apart from Brian Mc Guigan, I would also like to point out that Mickey Mc Gee is currently out of action for six months due to a recent shoulder operation. Any of yous see the shoulder support he had on on Sunday. Jes it looked very uncomfortable. Would like to wish Brian and Mickey both a speedy recovery and a quick return to full fitness.

orangeman

What did ye all think of Kevin Hughes on Sunday ? Was he lucky to have escaped with a sanction before the throw in - did he headbutt as alleged by others ? In general play I thought he was poor enough, missed a lot of tackles - I do like him as a player and think there's more in than that - I thought his performance against Donegal was awesome ( apart from the shooting of course ).

Star Spangler

Question:
Have Tyrone ever reached the quarter final stages of the championship before having only played 3 games?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Star Spangler

I was thinking that but I can't remember and I can't find any info on it.  That was the year we beat Derry in the Ulster championship and then they beat us in the quarter final (and God was sent off).

Mr. Nakata

I thought hub was awful and surprised he lasted the 70. However, I agree he was excellent in the semi. Midfield was tinkered with to combat the farney's physical presense, but it didn't work. Hub and Sean were dominant against Donegal, but the hoover played such a big role in that sector. I would concur with previous posters and opt for a return for big Packy. Better kickouts although memories of the 2 boo boo's against Mayo in the league are still fresh. Thought the farney keeper had some kick on him. The kickout is important. Both keepers are prone to the odd crazy decision.

Tyrone Dreamer

Id go with onions bag selection. Although Enda McGinley would need to get back to his old self and could come under pressure from Colm Cavanagh. Not convinced we'll have a fully fit team for the quartrers and may have to leave O'Neill as a sub once again. If this happens Id go for either Colm Cavanagh or Mellon (if he's showing anything in training) at full forward. Dont think we can afford to drop McCullagh who's in good form and could deliver in Croke Park. Someone earlier said Cavlan did nothing. Having watched the match again it was Cavlan's set ups in the 1st 7 minutes that directly lead to 1-3 being scored - not bad. Any update on his injury? The quarter final draw will be extremely interesting especially if we can avoid Cork on our side of the draw.

Tyrone Dreamer

On another point made by someone Id say there is a strong possibility Penrose will start in the quarter - Harte constantly goes back to the same players no matter what. He did ok down in Kerry but his inability to pass the ball is a severe drawback.

Deal_Me_In

Devine
Ricey              Joey              Carlin
Harte              Gormley         Jordan
             Sean               Hub
Dooher            Mulgrew        O'Neill
McCullagh         Mulligan         Gormley

Don't think that GK should be changed, devine has done everything asked of him and his kickouts have been good in general. Think the open spaces of Croke will suit McCullagh and Niall Gormley was impressive against Fermanagh so i think deserves another chance. O'Neill can get more involved in the game when Half Forward (although can swap with McCullagh).  This also leaves us with strong options n the Bench including Cavlan, T Mc Guigan, Mellon, Mc Ginley etc.