Tyrone v Monaghan USFC Final

Started by tyroneman, June 24, 2007, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snappiered

What way does the Quarter final draw work now for Tyrone? Do we play winners of Galway V Meath?

orangeman

Not sure how the 1/4 final works - any ideas ?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on July 16, 2007, 03:16:51 PM
Not sure how the 1/4 final works - any ideas ?

Check out: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=3737.0

It seems we couldn't meet Monaghan, but could meet Donegal again.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

thebandit

So close.. at least they went down fighting. Some atmosphere in Clones yesterday, disaster for parking though.

Monaghan got sucked up too far in the first 20 minutes, and by the time it was rectified we were 1-6 to 0-2 down. McQuaid should have held the centre and things definately improved when Damien Freeman went CHB. JP did as well on Cavanagh as was humanly possible, and Cavanagh was only really effective when JP was switched off him.

Monaghan won midfield yesterday but got cleaned out in 2 10 minute spells at the start of each half in the full back line.

Tyrone probably have another gear or 2 in them, Dooher and Mulligan will be more effective. Someone said earlier that Mulligan was fouled persistently - it didn't take a whole pile to put him down! He blatantly dived in the corner in the 2nd half (I think Damien got booked for it?). Carlin is some player, and Jordan played well.

Bring on Donegal!

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on July 16, 2007, 03:29:35 PM
So close.. at least they went down fighting. Some atmosphere in Clones yesterday, disaster for parking though.

Monaghan got sucked up too far in the first 20 minutes, and by the time it was rectified we were 1-6 to 0-2 down. McQuaid should have held the centre and things definately improved when Damien Freeman went CHB. JP did as well on Cavanagh as was humanly possible, and Cavanagh was only really effective when JP was switched off him.

Monaghan won midfield yesterday but got cleaned out in 2 10 minute spells at the start of each half in the full back line.

Tyrone probably have another gear or 2 in them, Dooher and Mulligan will be more effective. Someone said earlier that Mulligan was fouled persistently - it didn't take a whole pile to put him down! He blatantly dived in the corner in the 2nd half (I think Damien got booked for it?). Carlin is some player, and Jordan played well.

Bring on Donegal!

Jaysus, Bandit took you a while to appear today...must have been the bad drink in Taveys and Switch  ;)

thebandit

I'm still not sure who this is..... would you be a 'neighbour' of mine?

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on July 16, 2007, 03:42:19 PM
I'm still not sure who this is..... would you be a 'neighbour' of mine?

About time you clocked it!!!

neutral

well done to Tyrone yesterday - a work in progress and work at f/b and midfield needs to be done but they can now work hard to launch a major ai offensive.

tyroneman

Agree with a lot of the points made on here.

1. Gormley was majestic for the most part. I think he started to worry too much about covering Gourley in the 2nd half and got caught once or twice.As was said on thre Sunday Game - what Tyrone need is 2 of him.
2. Joey was poor at MF - accoridng to the program he is 6'3 and Cavanagh 6'1???? Not sure about that but Joe is by far the best option at FB to combat the high ball in.
3. Gourley is a superb man marker but not particularly tall or adpth at handling the big diagonal ball. MH had a wee blind spot there I think.
4. THought Hub did fine in 2nd half whn told to revert to type and spoil the MF. First half he seemed all over the place. Hopefull ythat ends the FF experiment (not that he spent much time there anyway)
5. Cavo on last legs - poor show apaty from goal and one pass when off balance.
6. MCCullogh getting better.
7. Big Sean anonymous until MH moved him out to wing forward.Stil below par by his standards.
8. Carlin improving all the time. Fisted point was proof he learns game to game.

To be honest I can't see where the IN etc are coming from saying Monaghan were the better team.They played well and gave 11% but Tyrone alweays looked in 3rd gear bar the start of each half. If we had've drawn or lost that game after 7 and 8 point leads we would need some serious inquiry.

orangeman

We need full back sorted big time - teams are going to start to target that area and if left exposed. we'll be hammered !

Muzz

Call up for Chris Lawn perhaps?

AZOffaly

Jaysus lads that Monaghan team are fairly physically strong. Every one of them looks as if they've spent a lot of hours in the gym over the winter, especially the upper body and arms. They looked physically like Armagh yesterday.

ExiledGael

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 16, 2007, 06:04:47 PM
Jaysus lads that Monaghan team are fairly physically strong. Every one of them looks as if they've spent a lot of hours in the gym over the winter, especially the upper body and arms. They looked physically like Armagh yesterday.

Well those tight short sleeves have been adopted, but seriously it's obviously been a winter programme under McElkennon.
Great pic of Mulligan in the Times today, ball in hand racing away from his man but still with a hand full of his markers shorts.
Think he does far too much of this to mask his own lack of sharpness.
Clever ploy and wins frees when the two then obviously go tumbling, but has the talent if fully sharp to be a deadly attacker

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

Quote from: tyroneman on July 16, 2007, 05:37:29 PM
Agree with a lot of the points made on here.....
To be honest I can't see where the IN etc are coming from saying Monaghan were the better team.They played well and gave 11% but Tyrone alweays looked in 3rd gear bar the start of each half. If we had've drawn or lost that game after 7 and 8 point leads we would need some serious inquiry.

I don't go for the 3rd gear explanation.
Tyrone played so smoothly for lengthy enough spells in each half, not in 3rd gear then, more like overdrive. A class above what Monaghan could achieve.
In the last 15 - 20 mins Tyrone were flat out and driven to distraction to the point that with the last free kick off the game there was about 6 or 8 of the Tyrone lads ballwatching with only one Monaghan lad running into a position of danger and he nearly pulled it off.
I'd say that would have been the major issue in the inquiry
but because the ball was hammered over the bar, you don't need an enquiry  :)