Tyrone v Monaghan USFC Final

Started by tyroneman, June 24, 2007, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: bingobus on July 13, 2007, 12:35:21 PM
Hasn't been mentioned before but I can see one of teams, possibly the two, ending up with reduced numbers. Think Monaghan will be bursting to get at Tyrone and Tyrone won't take a step back.

Well let's hope we get a better ref than the muppets we had against Down and Derry. There's no doubt we have a few players with a short fuse - but we can't afford any of that on Sunday - we just don't jave the same bench as Tyrone if we needed to make switches.

bingobus

Any word who is the Ref for Sunday. I know it is normally an out of province ref but for once I think it would have been wise to put the best available in charge......step forward Mr Pat McEneaney...surely the best choice for the day ;)  ;)  ;D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Star Spangler

QuoteMonaghan will try and get men back behind play and move up in lines, such as Tyrone do.

Despite what McHugh said last night, I think it would be a mistake for Monaghan to try to play Tyrone-style against Tyrone.  Monaghan need to play the way that suits them and the way they perform the best.  Tyrone developed its format of play because it suited the players they have.  Unless Monaghan have very similar players they can only come out losers if they try to play similarly.  We always had very tough games against Armagh because they stuck to the style that suited them.  McHugh's assertion that Derry beat Tyrone last year because they adopted a similar style is inaccurate.  The remainder of the 2006 season (i.e. Louth and Laois) demonstrated that Tyrone lost to Derry simply because they were overrun with injuries and playing shite football.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 13, 2007, 01:17:13 PM
QuoteMonaghan will try and get men back behind play and move up in lines, such as Tyrone do.

Despite what McHugh said last night, I think it would be a mistake for Monaghan to try to play Tyrone-style against Tyrone.  Monaghan need to play the way that suits them and the way they perform the best.  Tyrone developed its format of play because it suited the players they have.  Unless Monaghan have very similar players they can only come out losers if they try to play similarly.

If you've seen Monaghan play you'd have noticed that they are employing Tyrone's style to a certain degree, and have seemed to have adapted to it reasonably well. I don't understand why folk are talking about gulfs in styles as from what I've seen they're pretty similar. Vinney Corey and Dessie Moen have the pace and confidence to carry the ball out of defence and even get forward to have a pop as we've seen on occasion this season. This is similar to Ricey. Freeman/McQuaid in the half-back line are also attacking defenders, sound familiar? And as for emplying a Dooher type, again Damian Freeman or Stephen Gollogly fit the bill. So, I don't think their styles are vastly different and think that should make for a good energetic game of ball.

I know this sounds clichéd but Monaghan's fortunes really depends on 'what Tyrone team turn up'. I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong and hope we don't let them play the way they're use to (which is what we did to Derry, and btw I don't buy into comments that Derry were poor, they weren't let play!)

Here's to an almighty contest with Monaghan to shade it!!

Yeee Haaaa!!

bingobus

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 13, 2007, 01:17:13 PM

Despite what McHugh said last night, I think it would be a mistake for Monaghan to try to play Tyrone-style against Tyrone.  Monaghan need to play the way that suits them and the way they perform the best.  Tyrone developed its format of play because it suited the players they have.  Unless Monaghan have very similar players they can only come out losers if they try to play similarly.  We always had very tough games against Armagh because they stuck to the style that suited them.  McHugh's assertion that Derry beat Tyrone last year because they adopted a similar style is inaccurate.  The remainder of the 2006 season (i.e. Louth and Laois) demonstrated that Tyrone lost to Derry simply because they were overrun with injuries and playing shite football.

Monaghan play similar style (see Grandmasterflashes post - cheers, saved me a bit of typing) with prob one slight difference in that they will let the play in earlier from midfield to the FF line.

If Monaghan are to win I think we'll need to spread the scoring around - last day only three players scored. We'll need Hanratty to chip in with a few plus a couple from Smyth/Finlay and from midfield/HB line. Any goal chances (and I think we'll get a few) will have to be taken. A good start is also a must, by a good start I mean keeping it tight and not let Tyrone build a lead by the end of 20 minutes.

Still think Tyrone will shade it but hopefully I'm more than wrong. I'll enjoy it anyways and intend to make the most of it  ;D

Fear ón Srath Bán

What do any of you Monaghan folk remember of referee Derek Fahy from your 2005 replay with Armagh? I don't think I've ever been to a game he's refereed, and if anything it would appear he's a bit whistle-happy.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

Derek Fahy was the referee in the All-Ireland Junior Club Final this year.

On another note, I give up trying to second guess Harte's team selection. Hard to know what he's going to do from one game to the next  :D
Testing Accessibility

Fuzzman

I think Mickey is trying to keep players on their toes and use as many players as possible to get them used to playing with each other and in turn creates great competition

With the amount of yellow cards around recently you need spare defenders ready to come in and replace others on yellow cards
Also Mickey likes players to be versatile and can play anywhere.
Gourley is also good at pushing forward and can take a score when needed.

It gives players on the edge of the 1st 15 hope and motivation to try harder as Mickey can replace anyone at any time.

Wonder was the Calvo injury a rumour or will he start at all
I think both managers are doing a Mourinho

Without trying to sound condascending, I am a little surprised by the Monaghan optimism but I suppose you might as well be.
I have not seen ye this year live or on telly but heard from both Down and Derry mates that ye were nothing special.

I think it depends on how hungry Tyrone are and how they start
If they play with the attidude of Fermanagh 1/4 final in 2003 we could see a very one sided affair but as usual everyone else is playing it cool and scared to praise the favourite too much.

You never know in football but if both teams play to their potential there is only one winner.
If Monaghan strangle the game and defend like Derry and so many other teams did last year then we will get frustrasted and the flair players will not perform.
Mickey knows this as is why he is throwing spanners into his team selection. McCullagh and Carlin are the two smallest men on the field with Dooher probably next.

I hope Monaghan don't target Nephew for their kickouts like Donegal did. He often gets caught out as he's too slow to make up the ground. Bet he gets his usual point though.

Main Street

QuoteI am a little surprised by the Monaghan optimism

I would expect the Monaghan team to have belief.
Certainly I haven't read a lot of optimism on this thread about Monaghan's chances.
But I have to admit to a slight increase when the greasy ball effect on Tyrone's game was mentioned.
Fair weather players :)

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 13, 2007, 03:21:14 PM
You never know in football but if both teams play to their potential there is only one winner.

Indeed....but how often have Tyrone played to potential over the last couple of years? Think any suggestion of Tyrone blowing Monaghan away is well off the mark, this will be a far tougher test than Donegal.

Dont think anybody saw these team changes coming. I thought Joey in at FB and SON at FF in the unlikely event of him being fit. Gourley and Cavlan though - big calls. Do recall reading in MH's 2003 diary though that he felt a fit and motivated Ger Cavlan couldnt be left off the team. Until the Donegal game Tyrone hadnt been running up decent scores this season and hopefully Cavlan can weigh in with a few scores on Sunday because we wont get 0-5 from Dooher every day. McCullagh could also do with getting a few more scores.

Fuzzman

Well that's me lads off til the big game so hope ye enjoy it and may the best team win

I hope there's no negative football and Defo no sending offs but I suspect it could resort to that
We were reasonably disciplined via Donegal so I hope we keep that for this game

All the Best and Look out for a Brolly shirt in Clones.

Tyrone by 5.

thebandit

Monaghan by 2 - Finlay to come on as a sub and land 2/3 frees

Kerry Mike

C'mon Monaghan make my weekend....
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

gwan-ye-boy-ya

how many ulster titles have monaghan? i thought it was 13 but BBCni site have it as 14.....

any word on jap yet ?