Tyrone v Monaghan USFC Final

Started by tyroneman, June 24, 2007, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzz

I dont think the team will line out in those postions though.

Whats the betting Gourley moves into Centre Back and Gormley picks up Freeman.  Gourley will pick up the loose ball around the middle. 

Joe McMahon moves to FB to pick up Woods.  Hughes comes into MF and play with two full forwards.

???

uselessfootballer

I think Muzz has it near enough spot on.
It looks like MH is planning to employ the same system he used against Monaghan in the 2006 McKenna Cup Final when he fieded 7 backs and Horse Devlin played as a very effective sweeper, Monaghan's attacking threat was completely nullified that day and Tyrone won fairly much as they liked. Expect to see Gourley in the free sweeping role with the others all man-marking including McMahon at FB.
After their combined performance against a much touted Donegal midfield, only an egit would split up the Cavanagh/Hughes pairing and one thing for sure MH is not an egit.

thebandit

I think Muzz has it all figured out..

The Finlay decision is at lunchtime today I believe

Tyrone Dreamer

Does anyone think O'Neill might be starting instead of Ciaran Gourley? Would make sense on the context of the team named. Hope we dont start with 7 defenders. By dropping Colm Cavangh and Enda McGinley Harte is clearly showing the players that everyones place is up for grabs. Cavanagh had a good second half the last day and McGinley has played well over a number of years but both have still been dropped. Good competition for places. If we'e going to challenge for all ireland and possibly ulster honours this year its important that we have Stephen O'Neill at near full fitness. Provides that extra bit of class and is at the very top level of forwards in the country.

Kerry Mike

What the weather like for Clones for the weekend? And if its raining will it be more to Tyrone's advantage.

Am looking forward to seeing the game in Clones, hopefully it will be as good a game as the Munster final.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

tyroneman

I'm wondering if...............

a) MH sees Monaghan launching a quick sustained attack in thre first half and wants to let this blow over with Hub drifting back to MF and maybe Cavlan rotating up to FF
b) He wants Sean Cavanagh freed up from normal MF work to shake off the 'special' attaention I'm sure Monaghan have marked out for him

Would not be suprised if team actually lines out as follows:

a)
             Devine
Ricey       - Joey -        Carlin
Nephew  - Gourley -     Model
              Block
          Hub - Cavlan
  Hoover - Mulgrew - Sean
       Mugsy - McCullogh

or b)
            Devine
Ricey        Gourley       Carlin
Nephew     Block         Model
         Hub          Joey
Hoover       Sean         Mulgrew
Mugsy        Cavlan        McCullogh

Fuzzman

Looks the weather for Sunday might be good in the morning with rain in the evening
Good thing the match is on at 2.15 then.

From RTE
Dry at first in many areas on Sunday, with bright or sunny spells, but showers will develop through the afternoon, with widespread rain then developing later in the evening, turning heavy and persistent at times. Winds will be mostly moderate and will back easterly through the day. Highest temperatures of 15 to 19 degrees Celsius, possibly reaching a little higher in any good sunny spells and warmest through the northern half of the country

Mickey used to rate Gourley as a great man marker so you could see him start on Freeman. I'd expect his man to get switched a few times depending on yellow cards.
Hub has played at FF before, especially as a U-21 and was quite prolific so just cos he had a very off day against Donegal doesnt mean he can't shoot at all.

I think Calvo at left half forward could be exploited by their right half back. Calvo doesnt like tracking back and I would rather see him Further forward but of course his delivery of ball into FF line is as good as McGuigan and Mulgrew, if, maybe a little slower to hit his passes. I'd say he's there for his fielding again and expect him to make a few clean catches.

I just hope its not a 2003 Ulster final goal fest v Down repeat as my heart can't take another game like that.

As I've said all along we can't let them get off to a good start as they'll then take heart from that and believe in themselves.

Interesting what wee Marty McHugh was saying on that RTE program last nite, Road to Croker that if Monghan get 10 men behind the ball they could beat us but if they play their usual open style then they're F**ked!

dodo

Coming back to Dublin sunday from Derry Mayo game in Derry...........what would be the chance of picking up a few tickets for the Ulster final in Clones on sunday ?

Tyrone Dreamer

Id say you'd pick up terrace tickets on Sunday ok. Ticketmaster are selling them now for collection in Clones on Sunday if your definately going.

dodo

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 13, 2007, 10:01:43 AM
What the weather like for Clones for the weekend? And if its raining will it be more to Tyrone's advantage.

Am looking forward to seeing the game in Clones, hopefully it will be as good a game as the Munster final.

From the BBC for Enniskillen:

Sunday

Sunday's predominant weather is forecast to be light showers.

high of 20°C, low of 12°C

Don't think a slippery ball will be to any team's advantage, though it just might disadvantage us a bit less.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Maguire01

Tickets no longer on sale from ticketmaster. Sell out?

Fuzzman

Does anyone know the seating Rows in the Gerry Arthurs stand
I can only get a pic of the sections from Ticketmaster

Does Row A begin at the very front or is that row AA
Hopefully to row A is just behind the entrance tunnel
I'm in section M0 which is about the 21 yard line

Just cos there's no more on Ticketmaster doesnt mean anything just yet
I'd say there'll be tickets about on Sunday as usual but sure even if not the crack in the pubs in Clones will be hlaf the fun and ye'll have a nice warm DRY seat to watch both finals with £20 extra to spend.

Think Tyrone do OK with a wet ball
Remember 2003 Ulster final replay v Down in a very wet Clones
How many points did we score?

loughshore lad

Very interesting selection from MH, he always likes to throw in a surprise to keep the opposition second guessing. I think the 15 he has selected will start as this is his usual poilcy its just where everyone will play that will be the interesting one. I think initially any way you will see Gormley on Freeman and Gourley on Woods. Would not at all be surprised if its a 3 man midfield of Hub, McMahon and Cavanagh, with Cavanagh told to hang loose, make his trademark bursts forward and let the other two guys take care of the physical stuff.

On another note read a piece in the Irish News today about McElkennon and his relucyance to get involved with Tyrone teams, interesting piece. It is a great shame that probably the two best physical trainers around i.e. McElkenon and Tally are not involved with the Tyrone team.

bingobus

I think the Banty did Harte a favour in naming his team first but I wouldn't be surprised if he bluffed Harte and started with a different 15.

If Hughes does go out the field, I'd imagine it will be to counter Monaghans 3 midfielders - Lennon, Clerkin and JP Mone. He'll pick one of these up, Dermot McArdle will prob move to half forward (and then drop back as sweeper) and Corey will pick up Mulligan with Dessie Mone on McCullogh. Half back line will play as selcted. Woods on the forty, Shane smyth (Or Jap) at FF with Jinxy roaming and CF as named.

Monaghan will try and get men back behind play and move up in lines, such as Tyrone do. Could be a torrid affair with passages of play very broken.

Hasn't been mentioned before but I can see one of teams, possibly the two, ending up with reduced numbers. Think Monaghan will be bursting to get at Tyrone and Tyrone won't take a step back.