Tyrone v Monaghan USFC Final

Started by tyroneman, June 24, 2007, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingobus

Quote from: Handball Ace on July 12, 2007, 03:36:42 PM
if smyth starts ahead of finaly, I'll be amazed...

I can also see McKenna starting somewhere

Big Benny is a fine fielder of the ball but isn't mobile enough to play against Tyrones midfield. He wouls be something similar to Donegals midfielder (Name?) who got cleaned out against Tyrone and was lost for most of the game. May make an introduction at some stage though but I think McManus would be one of first in, similar type of player to a Tyrone clone.

I agree with Finlay and have heard he will start but you tend to here these things when there is so much hype in a build up to a match.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: bingobus on July 12, 2007, 03:43:54 PM

Big Benny is a fine fielder of the ball but isn't mobile enough to play against Tyrones midfield. He wouls be something similar to Donegals midfielder (Name?) who got cleaned out against Tyrone and was lost for most of the game. May make an introduction at some stage though but I think McManus would be one of first in, similar type of player to a Tyrone clone.

I agree with Finlay and have heard he will start but you tend to here these things when there is so much hype in a build up to a match.

If Finlay does start you'd have to think that he'll either directly replace Smyth at centre-half OR start at wing half forward which would push Dick back to MF which in turn would push JP back to wing half back which would unfortunately in turn push Donal Morgan to the bench!

I know this would be harsh but am I right in thinkin that they should start with the 'most experienced' players at their disposal or is that a bit old-fashioned/short-sighted/unfair?

Fear ón Srath Bán

...something similar to Donegals midfielder (Name?)

Kevin Cassidy, Neil Gallagher (both muffled on the day).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Maguire01

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 12, 2007, 04:21:04 PM

If Finlay does start you'd have to think that he'll either directly replace Smyth at centre-half OR start at wing half forward which would push Dick back to MF which in turn would push JP back to wing half back which would unfortunately in turn push Donal Morgan to the bench!

I know this would be harsh but am I right in thinkin that they should start with the 'most experienced' players at their disposal or is that a bit old-fashioned/short-sighted/unfair?

I'd rather start now without Finlay - see how the team gets on without him - especially if he's not up to full fitness. Then if we do need to introduce him, it could be a great psychological boost to the rest of the team - and lift the crowd. It would be much better than pushing him to start when he's not ready and then seeing him being substituted, especially if we were behind at the time.

Sandy Hill

QuoteOr will Dooher just fill the holes again ?  

So that's why he spends so much time on the ground!
"Stercus accidit"

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on July 11, 2007, 03:01:54 PM
As an aside does anybody know a pub in Halifax, Nova Scotia, that will show GAA?? I know the Old Triangle pub has Tyrone connections but I dont know if they show games. I fly out to Canada on Saturday and would be loathe to miss this game.

Doesnt look like Ill see the game on Sunday.....seems the only establishment in Halifax who have Setanta is the "True Blues" club ??? :o Seems a long shot theyll be showing GAA.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 12, 2007, 04:38:17 PM
I'd rather start now without Finlay - see how the team gets on without him - especially if he's not up to full fitness. Then if we do need to introduce him, it could be a great psychological boost to the rest of the team - and lift the crowd. It would be much better than pushing him to start when he's not ready and then seeing him being substituted, especially if we were behind at the time.

Indeed, I'd rather see how we get on without him too but I'm hearing soundbytes that he will start so was just trying to work out where he'd be placed. That's a Mickey Harte tactic, 'Bring him on rather than take him off' which I'd agree with from a psychological point of view.

ONeill

Quote from: tyroneboi on July 12, 2007, 02:58:54 PM

McGee is completely out of the picture for this season anyway as he has had an operation on his shoulder.

I didn't know that. I thought he was suffering the backlash from the Cork and Donegal NFL defeats. Any chance Gourley will make an appearance? Just trying to preempt at least one surprise....Mickey normally has one.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyroneman

Canlt see a big change, Joey in at FB and SON in at FF if fit the only 2

tyroneboi

Ciaran Gourley is a surprise inclusion in the Tyrone team for Sunday's Ulster SFC final against Monaghan at Clones.

Gourley has not played championship football for two years but he replaces injured Cormac McGinley at full-back.

Stephen O'Neill's injury problems means he is named on the bench although fitness doubt Gerard Cavlan does start.

Cavlan replaces Enda McGinley while Joe McMahon's selection at midfield sees Colm Cavanagh dropping to the subs with Kevin Hughes switching to full-forward.

In all, the side has three changes in personnel for the semi-final hammering of Donegal.

Mickey Harte told BBC Sport earlier this week that O'Neill's injuries were still "having to be managed" and he will be keep in reserve for Sunday's decider.

606: DEBATE
Can Monaghan shock Tyrone?

O'Neill has been suffering from hamstring and knee problems and while cryotheraphy has helped his recovery greatly, Harte clearly feels that it would be too big a risk to start the Clann na nGael forward.

The former Footballer of the Year has yet to start a championship match in the current series.

The availability of Gerard Cavlan is a boost for Tyrone as he was a fitness doubt after suffering a hamstring injury last week.

Monaghan boss Seamus McEnaney has kept faith with the 15 players who started the Ulster semi-final against Derry for Sunday's decider.

However, there are several positional changes, including moving Rory Woods from half-forward to full-forward.

John Paul Mone switches to midfield and Damien Freeman wears number seven.

Paul Finlay, a last minute withdrawal before the semi-final because of a health scare, is not in the 15 but could be in the subs to be named on Friday.

Tyrone: J Devine, R McMenamin, C Gourley, D Carlin, D Harte, C Gormley, P Jordan, J McMahon, S Cavanagh, B Dooher, R Mulgrew, G Cavlan, C McCullagh, K Hughes, O Mulligan.

Monaghan: S Duffy; D Mone, V Corey, D McArdle; D Morgan, G McQuaid, D Freeman (cpt); E Lennon, J P Mone; D Clerkin, S Smyth, S Gollogly; C Hanratty, R Woods, T Freeman.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6896656.stm

Good shout ONeill you must have some inside knowledge!

Mr. Nakata

Holy fcuk. Harte never ceases to amaze me. Nervous with those changes. Will McMahon last 70min at misfield? Unless he's shed a stone in 3 weeks. Full back has to be the spot for Joey.

Tyrone Dreamer

Must say I was suprised by the team named. I know Harte likes to  make 1 or 2 shocks but I thought it was certain that the only changes would be mcmahon into defence and/or o'neill into the forwards. Still a strong looking team and it suggests that Cavlan is going well to have forced his way into the team - didnt expect that especially after the media were told he'd picked up an injury. Would rather see Hughes at midfield - he cant shoot! Wouldnt be to difficult to change the team considerably by bringing in a forward for Gourley and moving McMahon and Hughes back. Id say McGinley and Cavanagh will be disappointed not to start but provide good options as do O'Neill and Mellon. A capable team even without O'Neill. Could see Gormley and Gourley switching - dont like the idea of Gourley at full back.

Hereiam

HUB AS FULL FORWARD  :o :o After the last display of shooting, god help us.

Star Spangler

Cavlan...ffs.

I can see Hub taken off for O'Neill if the shooting boots aren't on.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hereiam on July 12, 2007, 09:05:07 PM
HUB AS FULL FORWARD  :o :o After the last display of shooting, god help us.

Would expect him to gravitate towards the middle of the park, and we shouldn't be too credulous perhaps until we see what actually lines out  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...