Tyrone v Monaghan USFC Final

Started by tyroneman, June 24, 2007, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Monaghan were not fancied  even to get to the Ulster final - so I think the prices are fair enough - do you want to lay a bit of 4/6 on Tyrone - alternatively do you know any bookies who are giving these odds ?
I think Monaghan at 10/3 or 7/2 represent a decent value bet .

Maguire01

Is there home advantage for the Ulster Final? I'd assume ticket availability is 50/50 - with Tyrone having a much larger population and traditionally big support, they might even have more people there.  Add that to the fact that Tyrone have played way more championship games in Clones in the past few years. I can't really see any 'home advantage' being a factor.

FarneyMan

I wouldnt be at all surprised to see Finlay line out instead of Smith..................

Star Spangler

QuoteI got a bit of a shock when I saw the betting prices for the game.
Tyrone at 2/7 and Monaghan at 10/3  in one place.
Looks like they don't want any money to be bet on Tyrone at all.
Are these prices a fair reflection of both teams form?

The bookies have a living to make.

thebandit

I'd expect the team to line out something like this:

1 S Duffy,

2 D Mone, 3 V Corey, 4 D McArdle,

5 D Morgan, 6 G McQuaid, 7 D Freeman (Capt),

8 E Lennon, 9 JP Mone, 10 D Clerkin,

P Finlay, 12 S Gollogly, 14 R Woods,

13 C Hanratty,  15 T Freeman

With Mone doing a spoiling job on Cavanagh (as I predicted before).

I'm expecting Finlay to start - even if he doesn't, he'd get some roar if he is introduced as an impact sub.

Manzie, Benny, Meegan, Smith/Finlay, McElroy could all have parts to play on Sunday

Loup Bandit

Dooher and Freeman will be some tussle. freeman will certainly not be lacking in fitness or athleticism to put it up to Dooher. Should be a good one.

On the betting front, Monaghan +3 points at 6/5 isnt a bad bet (thats on paddy power)
a three point start in any game between two ulster teams aint bad!

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Loup Bandit on July 11, 2007, 10:51:05 AM
Dooher and Freeman will be some tussle. freeman will certainly not be lacking in fitness or athleticism to put it up to Dooher. Should be a good one.

On the betting front, Monaghan +3 points at 6/5 isnt a bad bet (thats on paddy power)
a three point start in any game between two ulster teams aint bad!

He'll do a better job than Donegal's McGee did anyway!! - Looking forward to this...it'll be a lot closer than is expected. If it's tight & Finlay comes on, you'd expect Monaghan to push on & win!

On the other hand it's Tyrone!

GrandMasterFlash

It's obviously a pity if Finlay doesn't make it for his own sake as he has gave a great service to Monaghan thus far. It's a good tactic also by the management as if he starts it'll help the team (tho I can't see him starting) but he'll lift the roof if he comes on as a sub. And as pointed out, that might be the motivation a tiring team needs.. Gonna be a tough one! Think D Freeman will do a job on Dooher but my duels of the tie are Dessie/O' Neill and Vinney/Mulligan. I'd imagine McArdle will move out the field a bit to track his man.

Can't wait now...

Star Spangler

I can't see what's different about this Monaghan team and the one we played in Croke Park in 2005.  Can any Monaghan supporters through light on why they feel the result will be different this time?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 11, 2007, 12:01:28 PM
I can't see what's different about this Monaghan team and the one we played in Croke Park in 2005.  Can any Monaghan supporters through light on why they feel the result will be different this time?

Different manager, different methods, different belief?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Star Spangler

QuoteDifferent manager, different methods, different belief?

It's the same manager so I imagine the methods aren't much different.  Certainly different belief if the supporters are anything to go by.  I'm just wondering what I'm missing because I can't see where it's coming from.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 11, 2007, 12:04:12 PM

It's the same manager so I imagine the methods aren't much different.  Certainly different belief if the supporters are anything to go by.  I'm just wondering what I'm missing because I can't see where it's coming from.

Sorry, didn't think he was there in 2005, Martin Mc Elkennon perhaps?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 11, 2007, 12:01:28 PM

But Tyrone are different, no Canavan, Mc Guigan, Lawn and a non match fit O'Neill

Wee Roddy

Indeed McEnaney was there in 2005. But it is impossible to compare the 2 teams. I have a feeling this will either be a surprise Monaghan victory or a big Tyrone win

bingobus

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 11, 2007, 12:04:12 PM

I think 2005 showed Monaghan had potential. First 20 minutes we give you's a fright roasting. We were still in the game (on the scoreboard at least) with about 10 minutes to go but we couldn't get a score. Tyrone then put the foot down and pulled away to make it look like a comfortable win. I think we may even have been reduced to 14 men in this time.

That day our 4 midfield options all started and played well but midway through the second half they all died on there feet and that was end of our chances.

A bit more belief this time, as the team has prob never looked sharper or fitter.A Few players have come through - Hanratty, McKenna, Morgan - while a few have returned the Mones. The team is also alot more consistent this year, from the league through to date.

While there is a bit more belief and hope, I honestly think we'll just fall short on this ocassion. I doubt many would wnat to meet us in the qulaifiers though, if Tyrone manage to squeeze past us.