Tyrone v Monaghan USFC Final

Started by tyroneman, June 24, 2007, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

QuoteSpoken like a true championship band-wagonner! lol

Sory to disppoint but I'm a regular McKenna, NFL and Championship type of person  ;) and seen plenty (too much) of CMcG. The only worse option at FB was Peter (never again please MH) Donnelly

Maybe you disagree, and that's your perogative, but IMHO Cormac McGinley has veered from distinctly average at best to absolutley terrible in the majority of games he has played for Tyrone.

Roasted more times than enough and MH was quite right to take him off early against Donegal.

For me (and fingers crossed it doesn't come back to haunt me) Joey McMahon is head and shoulders the best option on the squad, when fit and burgerless, for FB

Mr. Nakata

I wonder will MH consider playing block at full back. Probably not IMO as Smith for Monaghan was poor against Derry after a decent debut against Down and Joey should be well fit for him, but if it was Donegal in the final and CMG was injured, I don't think MH would have played Joey at number 3. Total conjecture there but anyway. McGinley's injury is not good as full back is a nightmare at the best of times. Taking block back from centre half is probably the only suitable option we have now, meaning restructuring of the always reliable half back line. Hopefully we stay injury free, but I think we'll be seeing how good the defenders on the bench are sooner rather than later.

Fuzzman

What's the story with Collie Holmes?
How's he getting on for the Armagh Harps and would he not be an option for CHF or FB?

I know he's not the fastest ever but surely he must be in with a shout again if he's reasonably fit?
Gourley used to be a Fav of Mickey and remember (from his Book) who they were so keen to get him back for the AI final in 2003.

Is Penrose down the list again of forwards?
Anyone wanna name their forward line and why they would pick each player? eg strenghes and what they add to the team

I havent seen enough from Colm Cavanagh to see why he's getting so much recognition.
Think just cos he's Sean's bro and he has lots of potential alrite but any match I've saw him in OK he's done just OK.
Wheres young Gormley looks much more likely to beat his man and get you crucial scores

I'd have
Dooher - Hoover bag emptied and loves proving people wrong that he's past it
Mulgrew - Tough call with him or Tommy as Tommy seems bigger and stronger but Mulgrew oozes class and will shine more when has a good forward line to set up
McGinley - Bad last day but usually awesome and works so hard and can be targetted for kick-outs and helping out half backs - Could score more though.

Mugsy- Hopefully not a wet day as Mugsy seems to like the sunny summer GAA and can turn it on in an instant if confidence is high and getting good ball
Cavlan - Yeah I'd just like to see how the two footed artist with so much skill can play in so close to the goals and can focus on score getting and fielding withough having to
            bust his ass and weary legs tracking back
O'Neill - Completes my talent FF line who can ALL win their own ball and shoot with both feet and can ALL score goals. I think Stevie feels he has to prove himself all over again
            to the demanding Tyrone fans and he loves a challenge like that.

Surely if you get any decent ball into that FF line you're laughing

Tyrone Dreamer

Thats not a bad forward line Fuzzman but not sure about Cavlan. Think he makes a great sub to bring in early in the 2nd half to change the match - a potential match winner in fact. Would question his speed to play in the full forward line and to get out in front and win ball. Also he hasnt always transferred his decent accuracy at club level to the county scene in front of goal. Would agree with you some what regarding Colm Cavanagh - has loads of potential and not totally sure if he'll deliver this season. However I saw enough in the 2nd half against Donegal and in the big stage v Dublin uner lights to suggest that he may make a big impact even this year. He's a great fielder and very quick and would probably be best deployed in the half forward line. Would def pick him ahead of Gormley who will struggle to win his own ball in a tight championship game - this was even in evidence in the 1st half versus a light Fermanagh team. Big day next up fpr Mulgrew - hopefully the Donegal game will give him the confidence to deliver on the big stage. Also think it would be harsh to leave out McCullagh who's work rate and vision was evident throughout against Donegal - touch of class when delivering the ball, some of his passes r similar to those delivered by Canavan.

Over the Bar

QuoteMaybe you disagree, and that's your perogative, but IMHO Cormac McGinley has veered from distinctly average at best to absolutley terrible in the majority of games he has played for Tyrone.

The absence of Conor Gormley put a lot of pressure on the back-line during the winter and left the FB seriously exposed, not to mention the loss of Jordan as well.  Don't forget we won the McKenna Cup with CMcG at FB tho.   Admittedly he lacks pace however his postional sense is good and like Enda he is the man to put his head where others wouldn't put their foot!   He did have a 'mare v donegal, but overall the squad is worse off for his absence. 

ONeill

Not too worried about McGinley's absence. I don't think he would've started anyway after 3 roastings this year. I like Cormac as a club player but he simply hasn't the temperament for this level, from what we've seen. That's a big pity as he seemed a decent full back and I was a big advocate of his. A second reason is that McMahon, who should start, or whoever is there at FB won't be as overworked as the two on either side of him. Monaghan launch this long ball into either Freeman or Hanratty - I'd be more worried about McMenamin or Carlin having an off-day. There's a good chance at least one of them will. If it's Ricey there'd be no problem moving him to FB, or if McMahon is handling himself well wherever he's taken, replace Ricey. Harte has shown he's not afraid to do that to the vice-captain. McGee's there but I'd worry about him too. Who else can hold the likes of Thomas? Remember what Freeman done to Sweeney in 2005? The only way Tyrone managed to limit the damage was to win their own ball around the middle and starve Freeman.

As for the forward line

Hoover - do we need a reason?
Mulgrew/McGuigan - no preference, Mickey'll probably veer towards Mulgrew.
McGinley - in case Hughes is having an off-day
Mugsy
O'Neill
McCullagh - good brain, good replacements in Gormley or Cavanagh.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyroneman

Can't understand the feeling that Joey is not the man. He was immense in the run up to the 2005 final when he played at FB. Played as good a game on Ronan Clarke as I've seen.

I think the persistence with CMcG (positional sense????  :-\) stops the devlopment of other options. If he's not first choice under MH he will deffo be second. A la Peter Donnelly etc he is taking up squad spaces that others might bring more to.

Unless there is a 'marquee forward' to stop CG MUST be used at CHB. His reading of the game is second to none.

CMcG was playing against half fit teams for the most part in the McKenna and I certainly don't remember him standing out at any stage.

ONeill

QuoteCMcG was playing against half fit teams for the most part in the McKenna and I certainly don't remember him standing out at any stage.

Devenney roasted him in the McKenna and he was taken off in the first half.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Selection will be down to whether Mickey wants to concentrate on the opposition or if he wants Minaghan to worry about Tyrone and who is on their selection - Personally I'd play a sweeper -

Fuzzman

I'd say there is no doubt that a sweeper will play in front of Freeman but the question is who?
Dooher often gets back here anyway but it would be a waste to have him there all game.

How good is this Hanratty fella? Will he be hard to mark as well?

I predict Monaghan to start at 100MPH and try to stun us.

With exception for the Donegal game, recently we same to give teams a start and then begin playing
I preferred us tearing into teams for 1st 15 mins and often game was over at half time.

I can remember the first U-21 AI we won under Danny Ball against Kerry in Newbridge and we put up a cricket score against them in the first 15 mins.

Wonder what surprise Mickey will have up his sleeve this time?

bingobus

Hanratty is useless...don;t worry about him. In fact free up his marker as an extra man on Tommy and leave him to one side  ;)

I'll reckon we'll start at 100mph but the problem will be keeping it going. Like Croke Park in the qualifier. But different level of fitness this time and I'll think we'll match Tyrrone for work rate and hunger.

Heard I good one re the tickets, apparently the Co board in Monaghan won't be allocating any Tickets to the clubs for the Gerry Arthurs Stand. I'm sure they got some and I accept that these should go the players allocation first. But where is the rest? Did they get many, have the ulster council got them, who gets them?

I see ticketmaster have sold out of their allocation during the week.

thebandit

Quote from: bingobus on July 06, 2007, 12:22:07 PM

Heard I good one re the tickets, apparently the Co board in Monaghan won't be allocating any Tickets to the clubs for the Gerry Arthurs Stand. I'm sure they got some and I accept that these should go the players allocation first. But where is the rest? Did they get many, have the ulster council got them, who gets them?

Heard that too about Gerry Arthurs stand tickets.

BTW the clubs cant even get any indication what our allocation may be like as the Co board treasurer wont give out her phone number  >:(

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on July 06, 2007, 12:34:54 PM
Quote from: bingobus on July 06, 2007, 12:22:07 PM

Heard that too about Gerry Arthurs stand tickets.

BTW the clubs cant even get any indication what our allocation may be like as the Co board treasurer wont give out her phone number  >:(

Heard that, contact by email only. I do think that its wrong that clubs don't know there allocation before the tickets go on Sale on Ticketmaster. If a club is left in the lurch then they have very little chance of alternative sources. Now people who do feck all with a club or even the county can secure their ticket before the club member/player/worker etc. Don't think we should have a problem with tickets but there is a chance.

orangeman

There was plaenty of space in the Gerry Arthur stand against Fermanagh !!!!!!!!!!!

thebandit

I could nearly give you the names of the people who will get:

VIP tickets (the white seats, and they get sangwiches :o)
The best seats from our club

There is no aspect of fairness concerning any of it  >:(