Tyrone v Monaghan USFC Final

Started by tyroneman, June 24, 2007, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

Anybody who doesnt recognise the quality of Conor Gormley in the Tyrone defence knows very little about gaelic football imo. He is undoubtly our most important defender and our only problem is we need 2 of him. He can play anywere from 2-7 and I really cant remember him getting a serious roasting in any game for Tyrone. I would rate him as good as Canty and cant think of anyone else as good. Tyrone definately wont win an All Ireland without him fit.

ONeill

For the quiz buffs:

What was unusual about Monaghan's tally of 1-10, scored in the Ulster Final v Tyrone in 1988?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 01, 2007, 07:25:41 PM
Anybody who doesnt recognise the quality of Conor Gormley in the Tyrone defence knows very little about gaelic football imo. He is undoubtly our most important defender and our only problem is we need 2 of him. He can play anywere from 2-7 and I really cant remember him getting a serious roasting in any game for Tyrone. I would rate him as good as Canty and cant think of anyone else as good. Tyrone definately wont win an All Ireland without him fit.

Agreed, Gormley is really the rock upon which the Tyrone defence is buit, equally as important to that area of the team as a fit McGuigan was to the attack. Gormley would without any doubt be up amongst the best defenders in the land.

gwan-ye-boy-ya

Quote from: ONeill on July 01, 2007, 09:32:26 PM
For the quiz buffs:

What was unusual about Monaghan's tally of 1-10, scored in the Ulster Final v Tyrone in 1988?

all scores from play???

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

johnpower

No question he is the best defender in the country . For Tyrones sake they need him to keep intact . every time I watch him I am amazed by his reading of the game

Goats Do Shave

Devenney must be some footballer, didnt he get 2 points from play off Gormley in the Ulster Semi?

loughshore lad

Tommy McGuigan is back in full training and will be fit for the ulster final. Its hard to see him forcing his way back into the team after the good display against Donegal. In theory the only forward (going on performances the last day) who would be under threat would be Enda McGinley but then again he is a proven player at this level. At least it increases Hartes options if things are not going according to plan

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: loughshore lad on July 02, 2007, 09:48:26 AM
Tommy McGuigan is back in full training and will be fit for the ulster final.

Good news LL, and even to have him on the bench for the Ulster Final is a great boost.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tyrone Dreamer

Devenney is Donegals best forward and is 2 points from play came when the match was over as a contest. When it mattered early on he didnt get a sniff of it. Its also impossible for any defender at the top level to keep the forward he's marking scoreless every game. Canty is rated by many as the best defender in Ireland and Donaghy scored of him in the 1st half yesterday.

rrhf

Devenney must have slipped out of Gormleys pocket to score them too.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 02, 2007, 10:11:29 AM
Devenney is Donegals best forward and is 2 points from play came when the match was over as a contest. When it mattered early on he didnt get a sniff of it. Its also impossible for any defender at the top level to keep the forward he's marking scoreless every game. Canty is rated by many as the best defender in Ireland and Donaghy scored of him in the 1st half yesterday.

I thought 'STAR' got 2 points yesterday?

Canty is solid all right! Gormley is classy too! There's not many better defenders than Andy Mallon either.

That's 3 different types of defender...

Tyrone Dreamer

Donaghy did get 2 points yesterday but not sure if Canty was still marking him when he got the second. I was expecting the Cork full forward to be useless but was wrong. Was suprised how similar his style was to Donaghy, he must have improved this year otherwise he surely would have been looked at before. Thought Donaghy looked impressive yesterday and will be a handfull. I see it says in the paper today that July 15th might be the only decent day this summer. Bet it rains now! When do the clubs receive the tickets for the final?

loughshore lad

I have said on this board before that for me Gormley is the best defender in the country at the moment. He can play anywhere in defence and would also hold his own in the middle of the park. He is a fantasic all round player and has made a remarkable recovery from a terrible injury. I just feel he and a number of other Tyrone players let themselves down a bit at times by the way the conduct themselves on the pitch.

orangeman

Gromley is the real deal ok - apparently doesn't smoke, doesn't drink and is an all round decent lad -