Marty Clarke to make debut

Started by zoyler, June 22, 2007, 10:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: parttimeexile on September 05, 2007, 08:14:52 AM
Sweet jesus that was some tackle alright. :oFair play to him for taking a hit like that and not letting it effect him!
Jesus was that a tackle it looked more like an assault. Did marty play on after that hit?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

full back

Some f**king hit alright.
He may have went off for a bit, but it shows him coming running back onto the pitch.

If that hit had happend in the International Series there would be lads calling for jail, or at least a lifetime ban. Shows the difference between the sports

the Deel Rover

Quote from: full back on September 05, 2007, 10:29:01 AM
He may have went off for a bit, but it shows him coming running back onto the pitch.

If that hit had happend in the International Series there would be lads calling for jail, or at least a lifetime ban. Shows the difference between the sports
absolutley Fullback, the Oz Rules players must have a short career can't see you putting your body through that abuse for 10 or more years 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

parttimeexile

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 05, 2007, 10:32:29 AM

absolutley Fullback, the Oz Rules players must have a short career can't see you putting your body through that abuse for 10 or more years 

Just out of interest what length is a career in AR? What sort of money would they make there, the average player not just the top earners?

ykickamoocow

Quote from: parttimeexile on September 05, 2007, 12:00:13 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 05, 2007, 10:32:29 AM

Just out of interest what length is a career in AR? What sort of money would they make there, the average player not just the top earners?

If you make the first team regularly odds are you would be on atleast $150,000 (Australian). The top players can earn up too $900,000 a year. Kennelly would easily be on $300,000 (probably more) while Clarke is probably earning alot less. His salary will increase alot next time he negotiates his contract as when he negotiated his current contract he was only a potential star and wasnt actually playing AFL football, now he is a regular first team member and is looking like a very good player. As for your other question a player will usually begin his AFL career around 19 and finish anywhere inbetween 32 and 38 depending on the player.

orangeman

You must be joking ? You can play until your 38 ?????

ykickamoocow

Quote from: orangeman on September 05, 2007, 12:46:02 PM

You can. Its extremely rare but can happen. Most players retire before the age of 34. The most common retirement bracket is 32-34.

clarshack

Quote from: orangeman on September 05, 2007, 12:46:02 PM

i remember this guy playing in several international rules series. was very good too so he was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Bradley

plain man

That hit on Marty Clarke was brutal, but it is not typical of most AFL matches, the guys that hit him Amon Buchanan I think, got a one match ban, but it would have been much more but he pleaded guilty and early..

That sort of hit is frowned upon by most AFL players and supporters as it was a cowardly act, and Marty had no way of defending himself.

I'd like to see Marty getting thick, and taking a swing some time, but somethin tells me he's not that sort of lad..

He put in a good appearance at the Rising Star Awards too, bit of a funny fecker! and doesn't mind being in the spotlight either.

Tiger Craig

Quote from: plain man on September 06, 2007, 01:23:35 AM
That hit on Marty Clarke was brutal, but it is not typical of most AFL matches, the guys that hit him Amon Buchanan I think, got a one match ban, but it would have been much more but he pleaded guilty and early..

I wouldn't say that - the only thing wrong with it was that Clarke had disposed of the ball, otherwise it would have been OK

[/quote]That sort of hit is frowned upon by most AFL players and supporters as it was a cowardly act, and Marty had no way of defending himself.[/quote]

Most supporters love it - that's footy

Aerlik

A colleague from work, a mad Collingwood supporter and the head of the West Australian branch of the supporters's club was at the game and close to the hit on Clarke.  He said a few of the ferals were baying for the Swans' player's blood...but then they are Collingwood supporters.  Clarke was back on the field in about 20 mins he said.

A few notable retirees this year include D'Arcy from the Western Bulldogs, Hird from the Bombers and one of my favourite Dockers players, Troy Cook. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Jinxy

Quote from: Tiger Craig on September 06, 2007, 05:44:42 AM

I wouldn't say that - the only thing wrong with it was that Clarke had disposed of the ball, otherwise it would have been OK

That sort of hit is frowned upon by most AFL players and supporters as it was a cowardly act, and Marty had no way of defending himself.[/quote]

[/quote]

Sure why wouldn't they? Diving shoulder first into the unprotected head/neck area of a player who is off balance after kicking the ball and unable to defend himself. It's the height of manliness.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Romeo

Quote from: Jinxy on September 06, 2007, 10:22:53 AM
Quote from: Tiger Craig on September 06, 2007, 05:44:42 AM

That sort of hit is frowned upon by most AFL players and supporters as it was a cowardly act, and Marty had no way of defending himself.

[/quote]

Sure why wouldn't they? Diving shoulder first into the unprotected head/neck area of a player who is off balance after kicking the ball and unable to defend himself. It's the height of manliness.
[/quote]

Clarke took the hit , got on with it! The other guy admitted it and took his punishment, GAA could learn alot from both attitudes. An incident like that would wrangle on til Xmas in the GAA, with appeals and resolutions and authorites and CCCCCC's etc.

Jinxy

Clarke got on with it after having to leave the field for treatment. Taking someone out like that when the ball is gone is extremely dangerous. To be honest, aussie rules could do worse than lose the braindead attitude that suggests hitting someone high and late is "just a bit of biff" and something for the commentators and fans to have a giggle about. If people want to go toe to toe, or someone gets levelled with a fair hip-and-shoulder that's one thing, jumping off the ground into the head/neck of a player who can't protect himself is another.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

stephenite

Kennelly ruled out of Swans V Magpies prelim final this weekend