Marty Clarke to make debut

Started by zoyler, June 22, 2007, 10:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenyears

really enjoyable programme about marty clarke last night; came across as a lovely down to earth lad, well supported by family and both clubs. the professionalism of collingwood looked amazing; his lack of willingness to do weights was natural but i am sure he can see the benefits now, and it seems he had gotten really into that element now.

lovely to see him back playing for an riocht...surely not allowed by collingwood?? and only natural he would say winning the title meant more than anything else.....fair play to all, and delighted he has made it.

one last thing, malthhouse reckoned he is the story of the year in AFL, and that is an unbelievable achievement

DMarsden

Great programme for once by bbc sport. obviously they invested a fair bit in it with kane going to oz etc and interviews with him at various stages of his time with collingwood.

best bbc ni sport production in years and no syeven watson anywhere in sight. coincidence? i think not!

Balboa

Quote from: DMarsden on November 01, 2007, 10:26:19 AM

Great programme for once by bbc sport. obviously they invested a fair bit in it with kane going to oz etc and interviews with him at various stages of his time with collingwood.

best bbc ni sport production in years and no syeven watson anywhere in sight. coincidence? i think not!

I wonder if Watson did it would he have had his knob hanging out a la Rory Mc Ilroy, David Healey etc interviews.......

Leo

One of the best Irish sports programmes ever - far ahead of any RTE cheapo productions.
Fierce tame altogether

ziggysego

Thanks TYP, was gutted I missed it last night.
Testing Accessibility

Aerlik

I didn't see the show and the BBC may have "got it right" but it's a pity that doesn't stretch to the website.

"The teenager from Cranfield near Kilkeel was heralded as one of the most exciting young Gaelic Footballing prospects in the whole of the island" (my italics).   What's the chances that was NOT in Thomas Kane's original script?   :-[

Re. the comments by Malthouse. That's saying something about Marty as Malthouse is one of the most respected coaches in the AFL.  As a player he was a great Half-back/half-forward playing in the last Richmond team to win the (then) VFL premiership (I believe), then coached the "non-entities" called West Coast Eagles to two premierships in 1992 and 1994, only 5 and 7 years after the club's inception into the competition, and he has been with the Pies since 1996 I believe.  He has taken them to several Grand Finals too since then.  And his daughter is a bit of alright.  When the pies are doing sh*t, the camera pans in to show Mick wrecking another phone or headset.  Funny.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

scalder

Lads I remember reading here before he said he supports Northern Ireland in soccer and that the writes Home and NI on his hand before a big game – is it common for young lads with a nationalist background to support NI or to see it as a distinct entity? Pretty depressing as a Republican from south east if they do, why do I worry about partition if people living with it don't?

scalder

Yeah funny! Its easy to say I'm alright Jack living down here you'll have to agree, while I've always taken an interest in seeing this country reunited so yes I'm a Republican if not an actively militant one. Family members have been more active though. So anyway back to my original question!

Rav67

Quote from: scalder on November 01, 2007, 12:05:51 PM
Lads I remember reading here before he said he supports Northern Ireland in soccer and that the writes Home and NI on his hand before a big game – is it common for young lads with a nationalist background to support NI or to see it as a distinct entity? Pretty depressing as a Republican from south east if they do, why do I worry about partition if people living with it don’t?

Very few would support them - think there was only one fella in my year at school, all others either indifferent to international soccer or support the Republic.

Jinxy

Quote from: scalder on November 01, 2007, 12:37:01 PM
Yeah funny! Its easy to say I'm alright Jack living down here you'll have to agree, while I've always taken an interest in seeing this country reunited so yes I'm a Republican if not an actively militant one. Family members have been more active though. So anyway back to my original question!

Screw your original question lets hear more about these family members! :D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on November 01, 2007, 12:39:19 PM
Quote from: scalder on November 01, 2007, 12:37:01 PM

Screw your original question lets hear more about these family members! :D
go look around Kells, athboy or summerhill

orangeman

This is lively to say the least !

scalder

Afraid I don't follow your references Lynchboy

lynchbhoy

Quote from: scalder on November 01, 2007, 01:02:45 PM
Afraid I don't follow your references Lynchboy
sorry scalder
those refernces were meath ones for jinxy

I have sent you a pm though

Hoof Hearted

i remember an item a few years ago about ger houlahan (armagh) supporting glasgow rangers ! maybe it was a pure wind up
a nationalist supporting norn ireland is bad enough but at least he lives there. how the hell would you support rangers
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012