Things you don't often see at GAA matches anymore................

Started by SouthArmaghBandit, June 21, 2007, 12:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Kerry Mike

QuoteYerra tis a good year kerry mike unless your from mayo and playing bloody kerry again in a final 

But then there will be no satisfaction for you all unless you beat the Kingdom in the final. One of these years our luck will run out and Mayo will dump us on our holes.

QuoteDublin in All- Ireland finals [/quote

or even Dublin winning All Ireland finals.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Kerry Mike on June 22, 2007, 12:12:36 PM
QuoteYerra tis a good year kerry mike unless your from mayo and playing bloody kerry again in a final 

But then there will be no satisfaction for you all unless you beat the Kingdom in the final. One of these years our luck will run out and Mayo will dump us on our holes.

QuoteDublin in All- Ireland finals [/quote

or even Dublin winning All Ireland finals.

A Mike we just looking for the perfect two in a row beat Kerry in one Final & Galway the year after, I think its due to happen circa 2136 & 2137

the Deel Rover

i hope your right Kerry Mike and i hope i'm alive to see the day but at this stage i just don't know, Ciaran Mc and Jimmy Nallen from my club have lost 4 All Irelands to Kerry 3 senior and 1 under 21 they must be sick to death of the Kerry jersey,  the funny thing about it the team i most enjoy watching is Kerry pure natural footballers and great people besides.   
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

orangeman

Fishead_Sam

Ex-Players called down to the dressing room to tog out @ go on in the second half in Senior Intercounty Championship matches, aparantly it happened in the early 1980's Longford V Offaly (an Offaly player was called out of the stands)

blanketattack

- Tying your laces either around your leg just above the ankles or around the bottom of your boots. They were always filthy after that though.
- Wearing long sleeved jerseys with the sleeved wrapped up to the biceps.
- "Kerry are magic" flags.
- Full stadia for Kerry v Cork games.
- The original Sunday Game music.
- Player warm-ups which involved chasing the sheep off the pitch.
- Players scoring vital goals in the championship but reacting as if it was only a goal in a junior B challenge game when 18 points down.
- The side bar in the Gresham having a DJ in a DJ box who announced details for people wanting to swap or sell tickets on the morning of the All-Ireland final.
- Wynn's Hotel as a pre-match watering hole. I guess it's all you can eat menu was the main selling point

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: blanketattack on June 22, 2007, 02:41:26 PM
- Tying your laces either around your leg just above the ankles or around the bottom of your boots. They were always filthy after that though.

You still see that, I do that still. But the laces often too short to tie around the bottom properly, I never understood why it was done, maybe the lacers where longer when people started doing that first.

J70

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on June 22, 2007, 02:49:13 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on June 22, 2007, 02:41:26 PM

You still see that, I do that still. But the laces often too short to tie around the bottom properly, I never understood why it was done, maybe the lacers where longer when people started doing that first.

I've always done that. Stops the laces from undoing or the boots flying off at an awkward moment!

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Hardy on June 22, 2007, 09:47:54 AM
"Physios" who had the same remedy for every injury. Whether the lad was poleaxed with a broken leg or split between the two eyes and out cold,  the procedure was to drag him up into a standing position, whether he was able or not, grab him by the back of the neck with one hand and the front of the elastic band around the togs with the other hand and start folding him over at the middle and back up again. I don't know how, but doing this about ten times seemed to fix an awful lot of injuries.

;D ;D

My contribution: Umpires wearing gay-looking white/cream tracksuits instead of the regular umpire coats.

And the Cadbury's ad at the back of programmes: "Mol an Óige, agus tiocfaidh sí."

Shamrock Shore

QuoteEx-Players called down to the dressing room to tog out @ go on in the second half in Senior Intercounty Championship matches, aparantly it happened in the early 1980's Longford V Offaly (an Offaly player was called out of the stands)

That was goalkeeper Lazarus Molloy who was called into action over the tannoy in the 1984 Leinster champ replay in Croker between Longford and Offaly. The call came before throw in and the hoor had a blinder of a game and Offaly squeaked it by a point or two.

AZOffaly

I think he saved a penalty that day if I recall correctly. Also it lead to the nominal sub keeper, Dinny Wynne from Kilcormac quitting the panel. As you would expect :D

deiseach

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 22, 2007, 06:47:39 PM
That was goalkeeper Lazarus Molloy who was called into action over the tannoy in the 1984 Leinster champ replay in Croker between Longford and Offaly. The call came before throw in and the hoor had a blinder of a game and Offaly squeaked it by a point or two.

I remember reading about that in the Gaelsport annual. Which is another thing you don't see in the GAA these days

Shamrock Shore

- Carrolls All Stars - the irony of a cancer-stick crowd promoting elite awards
- 10-10-20 bag flags
- one ball only at training cos clubs couldn't afford two
- wavin hurls (jesus me arm is still numb from one of them)
- changing behind the hedge and playing matches in fields full of cowshite
- 15 gossuns in a Fiat 126