Things you don't often see at GAA matches anymore................

Started by SouthArmaghBandit, June 21, 2007, 12:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote10-10-20 bag flags

You still see them, especially in Offaly and Kerry. I think they were in Green White and Yellow.

Shamrock Shore

Imagine the support you would have had in the miserable 70s if you named your club 'Net Nitrate'  :D

Louth Exile

I know most these already mentioned but...
- Being thrown over the turnstiles of the Cussack Stand (for some reason it was always the Cusack & never the Hogan)
- Getting stuck behind a pillar in the aformentioned Stand (nobody mentioned this one yet, ended up in a curse of a spot for my first Leinster hurling final between Offally and Kilkenny)
- The smell of the pipe (Jesus I miss it, even as a child I loved the smell, bullshit that at the bottome of the lower tier you can't have a smoke nowadays, so what do we do, go behind the stands and smoke in an enclosed area) ::)
- Salad sandwiches with the tea and cold chicken drumsticks (the mother always produced them at half time, nowadays its all hot dogs!!)
- Last but not least.... "Anyone for the last of chocs, get your chocs while they're still cold" (of course they weren't they were half melted but still great, back in the day when a Cornetto was extravagant!)

PS: Games being delayed because the Dubs are coming in late from the pub, they have been very good this past while  ;D
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Mitch Bucannon

aodhruadh

Ads for Triple AAA Golden Maverick at half time during the sunday game.

navaniarmhi

student lads scouring the hogan stand for selections of Sunday newspapers after the final whistle. It was always considered a rara avis to find the Observer. Food items were not ignored but I believe once the Nordies started appearing routinely in Croke Park these finds became rarer and rarer.

thejuice

The smell of John Player Blues always remind me of being in the old Croke Park.

I dont think we'll see Sean Og O'hAilpin advertising a cure for Dry Cow Mastitous(check spelling) or anyone for that matter anymore.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Louth Exile

Quote from: Louth Exile on June 22, 2007, 10:54:57 PM
PS: Games being delayed because the Dubs are coming in late from the pub, they have been very good this past while  ;D

Looks like I spoke too soon  :D
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

From the Bunker

Plain Jerseys with no crest, sponsor, chevrons, stars, County name, etc. The only people at matches with jerseys were ex-minor or under 21 and senior county players or their relations/friends, and the way you knew this was by the number on the back. The rest of us mortals just could not afford the sacred cloth and would be probably in fear of ridicule if you had one as you would be the only person walking out of a match after losing with a jersey on and open to comment.

cville

Has anyone mentioned the crap ringworm adverts involving a farmer who is also a county hurler - usually during semi-finals involving Galway or Tipp - "Peter Murphy says killl all round worms, ring worms and fluke worms with one dose on 'Wipe Out' - at this stage a closeup shot is shown on a cow having a piece on metal shoved down its neck to get a dose. Then the hurler will appear and with his best salesman pitch will say into the camera something like "Kill all dose fookers dead and use Wipe Out".

diesel-smuggler

goalkeepers wearing the rugby style football boots with the steel toe in them!

the oul women outside croke park selling the bars of chocolate 3 for a pound before the match and 4 for a pound after the match!

SuperHans

One thing u still see is the widest range of headwear ever.
Baseball caps, woolly hats,cloth hats, mexican hats, golfesque visors with most of them shocking looking

ziggysego

People putting up with the rain and leaving their brollys at home.
Testing Accessibility

Gnevin

Sunny days in Croke Park or so it seems, 3 matches this month and its rained at em all
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Canalman

Maybe posted already;

1 FĂ©ile na nGael long puck contests at half time

2 Ould lads in brown suits with Sunday Press in back pocket

3 Rosettes